ctsport1234
Sep 1, 02:08 PM
This is awsome news! :D
If Apple does make a 23'' imac, I will definately be getting one! (albeit when Leopard is released) :D
If Apple does make a 23'' imac, I will definately be getting one! (albeit when Leopard is released) :D
jakemikey
Aug 25, 11:59 AM
Sadly, I've tried to make cheaper VIA based mini-ITX systems. I usually end up getting a better buy from a Mac Mini.
Not if you're going for an embedded system that doesn't need a heavy duty CPU and graphics. I built a fanless home server/internet filter/firewall box for less than $200 (and this is in the mini form factor - mini-ITX). A mini would be overkill for that and almost all of the other above listed embedded applications. Get the right tool for the right job is all I'm saying. I would never use a VIA system for a desktop, but for almost every embedded application they're fantastic.
Not if you're going for an embedded system that doesn't need a heavy duty CPU and graphics. I built a fanless home server/internet filter/firewall box for less than $200 (and this is in the mini form factor - mini-ITX). A mini would be overkill for that and almost all of the other above listed embedded applications. Get the right tool for the right job is all I'm saying. I would never use a VIA system for a desktop, but for almost every embedded application they're fantastic.
dr Dunkel
Apr 20, 06:53 AM
Agreed. With the big up in GPU they gave the MBPs I am hopeful that they just might. The 27" saw the first desktop CPU in an iMac, right? I wonder if they can't now manage the same with the GPU. If it is decent, I think I'll be pretty tempted; and I've been running on only laptops for ages, so that's saying something!
I'm with you on this one. If the new iMacs have decent GPU:s, I'm on the boat for an ultimate. If not, no iMac this time.
Decent GPU would mean something like the 6950 or, even better, an Apple special version :D Well, it will have to pack enough power to feed that high resolution screen.
6950 in the 21.5 (who makes screens this small these days?) would be super, if they make the "21.5" into 23.5 instead.
I'm with you on this one. If the new iMacs have decent GPU:s, I'm on the boat for an ultimate. If not, no iMac this time.
Decent GPU would mean something like the 6950 or, even better, an Apple special version :D Well, it will have to pack enough power to feed that high resolution screen.
6950 in the 21.5 (who makes screens this small these days?) would be super, if they make the "21.5" into 23.5 instead.
Chip NoVaMac
Feb 23, 11:16 PM
I did not wade thru all the posts here as to "why not diesel" - but as an American that has watched cars across "The Pond" I wondered why not here in the US. Based on a quick search of prices here in the Reston Va area.... diesel is about 15% higher than the gas price.... the added cost of a TDI Golf vs a gas model makes it hard for low milage drivers to make the switch.....
Much of our US based concerns seem to be on power vs economy....
Much of our US based concerns seem to be on power vs economy....
bassfingers
Apr 26, 12:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
Here we go again
"what about windows being generic?!"
-well Microsoft isn't actually selling window panes
"app store is generic"
-if it were 'mobile software store' or 'application store', it would definitely be generic, but 'app store' is arguable
"this is stupid, apple being such a girl"
-they've built a name with 'app store', and it would be to the competitions advantage to use it. Otherwise, they would just use something else.
"apple didn't invent the word app"
-well they made it popular
"nuh-uh, I've been using app, since blah blah..."
-congratulations (but we're talking about millions, not 1 and a few friends)
Here we go again
"what about windows being generic?!"
-well Microsoft isn't actually selling window panes
"app store is generic"
-if it were 'mobile software store' or 'application store', it would definitely be generic, but 'app store' is arguable
"this is stupid, apple being such a girl"
-they've built a name with 'app store', and it would be to the competitions advantage to use it. Otherwise, they would just use something else.
"apple didn't invent the word app"
-well they made it popular
"nuh-uh, I've been using app, since blah blah..."
-congratulations (but we're talking about millions, not 1 and a few friends)
Habakuk
Mar 26, 03:13 AM
touchArcade wrote (http://toucharcade.com/2011/03/25/digging-into-ipad-2s-hdmi-out-and-what-it-means-for-games/): "…clean digital signal while the VGA and component cables provide analog output only (and lack audio information)."
This is not true. The component (and composite) cable provides audio. The VGA does not. It's okay that the small iDevices offer multiple video out (and audio out) options:
- Headphone out
- Docks (balanced analog audio out only)
- Component cable
- Composite cable (not compatible with Component)
- VGA adapter
- HDMI
- and last but not least wireless Apple TV 2
They all offer different options and techniques for different purposes. Digital/analog, CRT TV sets, balanced/unbalanced audio, mirroring or not. Serves for just viewing your photos and videos, for DJs, VJs, video editing, presentations etc.
I am using them frequently. There should be an article that points out the differences. I am sure even the software devs don't know exactly everything on that topic.
This is not true. The component (and composite) cable provides audio. The VGA does not. It's okay that the small iDevices offer multiple video out (and audio out) options:
- Headphone out
- Docks (balanced analog audio out only)
- Component cable
- Composite cable (not compatible with Component)
- VGA adapter
- HDMI
- and last but not least wireless Apple TV 2
They all offer different options and techniques for different purposes. Digital/analog, CRT TV sets, balanced/unbalanced audio, mirroring or not. Serves for just viewing your photos and videos, for DJs, VJs, video editing, presentations etc.
I am using them frequently. There should be an article that points out the differences. I am sure even the software devs don't know exactly everything on that topic.
Frosticus
Apr 20, 08:10 AM
So what are we looking at? 1-2 weeks?:cool:
I hope so! Lots of time to play with it while I'm on Easter break from work! :)
I hope so! Lots of time to play with it while I'm on Easter break from work! :)
puckhead193
Apr 12, 10:45 PM
So now the question is do I still need to transcode to pro res my avchd footage :rolleyes::confused:
roadbloc
Mar 31, 08:33 AM
iCal looks awful. I hope this is temporary or an April fools joke.
MacSA
Aug 29, 09:09 AM
Same thing with the Macbook, I'd rather see a $999 Macbook with the current chips than a $1,099 Macbook that keeps up with the Macbook Pro's chips.
HP have $800 laptops with Core 2 Duo though....
HP have $800 laptops with Core 2 Duo though....
Evangelion
Sep 1, 12:21 PM
i don't think this rumor will come out to be true because this might take a lot of people from getting Mac Pro
so what?*What makes you think that Apple would be earning any less by selling 23" iMacs than Mac Pro's?*It doesn't really matter to Apple that do they earn X million dollars selling Mac Pro's or iMacs, as lomg as they do earn money.
As to this being a home-theater setup... sorry, not gonna fly. While 23" is a big size for a monitor, it's still a lot less than the 32 - 42" televisions people have.
so what?*What makes you think that Apple would be earning any less by selling 23" iMacs than Mac Pro's?*It doesn't really matter to Apple that do they earn X million dollars selling Mac Pro's or iMacs, as lomg as they do earn money.
As to this being a home-theater setup... sorry, not gonna fly. While 23" is a big size for a monitor, it's still a lot less than the 32 - 42" televisions people have.
joe.cavers
Feb 21, 03:57 PM
Yeh, but for the same price and just a 1-week wait, why wouldn't you hold out unless it was an emergency?
Last time I did that, they took away Firewire. I'm an audio guy, my drives are all Firewire. I was unhappy and bought second hand.
Lesson learned :(
Anyway, on topic, setup. The Macbook is nearing retirement. Bonus points if you know what film that is on the screen (I just did an analysis of the score for my Film Music class at Uni).
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5017/5465812769_8748639c14_b.jpg
Last time I did that, they took away Firewire. I'm an audio guy, my drives are all Firewire. I was unhappy and bought second hand.
Lesson learned :(
Anyway, on topic, setup. The Macbook is nearing retirement. Bonus points if you know what film that is on the screen (I just did an analysis of the score for my Film Music class at Uni).
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5017/5465812769_8748639c14_b.jpg
motulist
Aug 7, 04:56 AM
Boy, we are a quite a multinational group. If only the rest of the people in the nations of the world could come together through Macness the way that we all have, then there would be no more wars. Actually, it'd probably just mean we'd have different kinds of wars, like the Nano vs. Video iPod war. :p
chaosbunny
May 3, 12:54 AM
Might be nice for people who actually use the App Store.
mr.barkan
Sep 6, 07:27 PM
Can people please stop with the whole, I want 1080p resolution download files!
It's insane, it would never ever work, Apple would sell far more movies at the current resolution than if they did HD. Sure, you guys would probably buy, if you had the patience to wait for 2 and a half days to download the film, and then be able to fit maybe 2 or 3 onto your hard drive, and that's it! Not going to happen. The majority of the world is not as obsessed with quality, they'll choose convenience. Nobody thinks "I fancy watching a film, maybe I'll go buy it off iTunes so I can watch it in 3 days time". The idea is convenience people, if it takes longer than 4 hours to download it will never fly.
HD would be awesome, when the hard drives are big enough and the internet speeds are up to it. But that is a good 4 or 5 years off.
My thoughts are, DVD quality, quite possibly 720p if we're very lucky and Apple have a form of compression that no one is expecting up their sleeves.
I didn't say "I want 1080p" it�s just a matter of (short)time before we all have HD-DVD/Blu-Ray burners and have suficient bandwidth to dowload large stuff quickly...
But until then, I�d like to have my favorite movies on 480p and/or 720p on my EXTERNAL hard drive just for the joy of it.
But yes... paying for something that it can be accidentally DELETED from your harddrive is NOT cool...
I�m not sure on how the movie store could work... especially coming from "fail-safe" Apple.
Maybe "SHOWTIME" stands for Leopard? ;)
It's insane, it would never ever work, Apple would sell far more movies at the current resolution than if they did HD. Sure, you guys would probably buy, if you had the patience to wait for 2 and a half days to download the film, and then be able to fit maybe 2 or 3 onto your hard drive, and that's it! Not going to happen. The majority of the world is not as obsessed with quality, they'll choose convenience. Nobody thinks "I fancy watching a film, maybe I'll go buy it off iTunes so I can watch it in 3 days time". The idea is convenience people, if it takes longer than 4 hours to download it will never fly.
HD would be awesome, when the hard drives are big enough and the internet speeds are up to it. But that is a good 4 or 5 years off.
My thoughts are, DVD quality, quite possibly 720p if we're very lucky and Apple have a form of compression that no one is expecting up their sleeves.
I didn't say "I want 1080p" it�s just a matter of (short)time before we all have HD-DVD/Blu-Ray burners and have suficient bandwidth to dowload large stuff quickly...
But until then, I�d like to have my favorite movies on 480p and/or 720p on my EXTERNAL hard drive just for the joy of it.
But yes... paying for something that it can be accidentally DELETED from your harddrive is NOT cool...
I�m not sure on how the movie store could work... especially coming from "fail-safe" Apple.
Maybe "SHOWTIME" stands for Leopard? ;)
jgould
Feb 21, 04:02 PM
Anyway, on topic, setup. The Macbook is nearing retirement. Bonus points if you know what film that is on the screen (I just did an analysis of the score for my Film Music class at Uni).
No idea what film that is, but I do spy Handbrake on the MacBook, which looks identical to the one that I just retired. My optical drive in that machine was starting to go, I think. Only thing I've used the one in the new MacBook Pro for is to reinstall the OS after I got it...
No idea what film that is, but I do spy Handbrake on the MacBook, which looks identical to the one that I just retired. My optical drive in that machine was starting to go, I think. Only thing I've used the one in the new MacBook Pro for is to reinstall the OS after I got it...
Lord Blackadder
Mar 21, 02:36 PM
Twitter (http://twitter.com/ShababLibya) is informative, but after 42 years of impotence, normal service cannot be resumed instantaneously. The prospects seem remarkably good, though, that what emerges from this will be an unusually honest democracy.
I hope so, but the next question is how long Libya will have miultiple governments, and under what conditions the rebels recieve official international recognition.
I hope so, but the next question is how long Libya will have miultiple governments, and under what conditions the rebels recieve official international recognition.
PygmySurfer
Oct 23, 11:59 AM
Updates are expected very soon boys and ghouls!
It's "boils and ghouls" ;)
It's "boils and ghouls" ;)
NAG
Jan 12, 05:03 PM
Like the iPod nano or the Airport Extreme says what the product does.
kiljoy616
Apr 21, 03:44 PM
This really is not a issue in my opinion. Smart phones have tons of data stored on them and if its really not being sent, whats the harm. If someone were to get my phone and read my info, they will be as excited as I used to be in PE class. First the DUI checkpoints now this. Is there something more important for them to look into? Like a Budget and ( insert concern here ) :)
Now if your a bad boy or girl, I can see this becoming a Court Evidence Issue in the near future. But until then, remember the NSA scans calls randomly for "our safety" Bigger issues than this in the world of privacy.
You really don't know much about the state of things, just be glad their are millions of us. Your illogical thoughts remind me of forfeiture laws which most people say will not impact them until they do and then what?
I bought a phone for certain things, I did not buy the phone for Apple Inc. or anyone else to be able to use it against me for any reason what ever that reason might be. But I do see how most people can not perceive that it could be a dangerous precedence when their world is small and limited.
So if your getting your Dexter on its best to leave the phone at home.:D
Now if your a bad boy or girl, I can see this becoming a Court Evidence Issue in the near future. But until then, remember the NSA scans calls randomly for "our safety" Bigger issues than this in the world of privacy.
You really don't know much about the state of things, just be glad their are millions of us. Your illogical thoughts remind me of forfeiture laws which most people say will not impact them until they do and then what?
I bought a phone for certain things, I did not buy the phone for Apple Inc. or anyone else to be able to use it against me for any reason what ever that reason might be. But I do see how most people can not perceive that it could be a dangerous precedence when their world is small and limited.
So if your getting your Dexter on its best to leave the phone at home.:D
BC2009
Mar 25, 04:11 PM
iPad 1 does not support HDMI out, so I'm assuming no, it doesn't work.
iPad 1 does support HDMI out, just not the video mirroring. This means that an app must support the standard "video out" mechanism to be used with the HDMI adapter with iPad 1.
What I would like to see is this same thing using AirPlay :)
iPad 1 does support HDMI out, just not the video mirroring. This means that an app must support the standard "video out" mechanism to be used with the HDMI adapter with iPad 1.
What I would like to see is this same thing using AirPlay :)
thefunkymunky
Aug 7, 08:12 AM
Man, thats not enough.... we need dual Nvidia mobile GPUs with SLI...just like Alienware has! (Each with 512MB, for a total of 1GB video ram!)
Imagine trying to keep those puppies cool.
Imagine trying to keep those puppies cool.
oracle_ab
Apr 27, 10:18 AM
The bold part is wrong. In the field of reference, you can't use the trademark even if you're using it generically or descriptively if it has been granted. You will get sued and maybe even lose if the mark is not rescinded. You can even get sued preemptively as is the case here (Amazon appstore).
Windows OS vs GUI windows is not the same field. One is an Operating System, the other is a GUI element of different computer systems. Microsoft never sued MIT over the X Window System because that's not an OS. They did sue the guys behind the Lindows OS though.
Hahaha! I didn't have time to edit that before you replied. I'll be clear -- that portion of what you quoted is in relation to what, say, the layperson says vs. two companies. It's okay for you and I to call other digital/electronic store-fronts, etc. as "app store," but another company can't. I may be off here, but for some reason I'm thinking I have to be super-duper specific and clear in replying on this thread versus relying on implied understanding. Again, we're saying the same thing, but I'm just not being as clear as I should be.
Windows OS vs GUI windows is not the same field. One is an Operating System, the other is a GUI element of different computer systems. Microsoft never sued MIT over the X Window System because that's not an OS. They did sue the guys behind the Lindows OS though.
Hahaha! I didn't have time to edit that before you replied. I'll be clear -- that portion of what you quoted is in relation to what, say, the layperson says vs. two companies. It's okay for you and I to call other digital/electronic store-fronts, etc. as "app store," but another company can't. I may be off here, but for some reason I'm thinking I have to be super-duper specific and clear in replying on this thread versus relying on implied understanding. Again, we're saying the same thing, but I'm just not being as clear as I should be.
hyperpasta
Jul 18, 01:56 PM
Over at AI one user made a good point about how WWDC in '04 Steve spent quite a bit of time talking about iPod and iTMS - user guessimates around 25%. So I guess that kinda beats down the argument that WWDC has always been "Mac" only...
He did, but he didn't show a single new product. He simply recapped the announcements made in the weeks before: iPod+BMW and AirPort Express.
He did, but he didn't show a single new product. He simply recapped the announcements made in the weeks before: iPod+BMW and AirPort Express.
No comments:
Post a Comment