bcharna
Aug 6, 11:21 PM
I can't sleep.
MacRumors, stop making me dwell on this!!
PS, is anyone here waiting for Mac support for the Slingbox? Thats pissing me off too!
MacRumors, stop making me dwell on this!!
PS, is anyone here waiting for Mac support for the Slingbox? Thats pissing me off too!
kungming2
Jan 12, 01:15 PM
Why do some posters have problems with a consumer notebook having an Alu finish? Is the iMac not a consumer product?
People will always have problems with whatever Apple does.
People will always have problems with whatever Apple does.
moondog190
Feb 24, 02:19 PM
I was able to get the link working but the picture won't show on the forums for some reason
milo
Aug 29, 11:53 AM
I think the Apple unit has the edge in terms of specs, looks, price and of course, OS! (Well, I would, woudn't I!!)
Sure. But many people don't WANT a tiny box. On the apple side, you're paying extra for the miniturization. Unfortunately, since apple doesn't offer any alternatives to the mini, it's also competing with regular budget pc's.
When you look at what you can get for $799 in a pc, the mini looks way overpriced.
Sure. But many people don't WANT a tiny box. On the apple side, you're paying extra for the miniturization. Unfortunately, since apple doesn't offer any alternatives to the mini, it's also competing with regular budget pc's.
When you look at what you can get for $799 in a pc, the mini looks way overpriced.
NebulaClash
Sep 15, 09:38 AM
Not all auto recalls are for safety issues. The point is Apple DID NOT FIX the issue with the new iPhone's they are selling, again something automobile manufactures are expected to do regardless of it is a safety issue or not. It doesn't matter how many or few people have the issue, the issue exists and they did not issue a permanent, non-interactive and satisfactory fix for CR's to recommend the product.
I have the issue as the signal in my area from AT&T sucks. I'm fine with using a case as I planned on using one anyway. But if someone in my area wanted an iPhone 4 and does like or want a case, then I wouldn't recommend it to them.
And I would recommend the iPhone 4 to everyone I know, almost all of whom use a case no matter what phone they have.
Let's drop the car analogy, it's causing more trouble than my point is worth. Apple did not fix the issue YET, but they said they would. What would you have them do in the meantime? What would CR have them do? No doubt a product recall which would be silly overkill. Apple's solution is simple, free, and easy.
I have the issue as the signal in my area from AT&T sucks. I'm fine with using a case as I planned on using one anyway. But if someone in my area wanted an iPhone 4 and does like or want a case, then I wouldn't recommend it to them.
And I would recommend the iPhone 4 to everyone I know, almost all of whom use a case no matter what phone they have.
Let's drop the car analogy, it's causing more trouble than my point is worth. Apple did not fix the issue YET, but they said they would. What would you have them do in the meantime? What would CR have them do? No doubt a product recall which would be silly overkill. Apple's solution is simple, free, and easy.
Lord Blackadder
Mar 4, 02:27 PM
In many ways, it's shameful today that we think that 60 or even 70mpg is somehow remarkable for a family car. :(
It certainly could be significantly higher. Public taste, laziness on the part of manufacturers and other things have all conspired to keep the bar set low on fuel economy.
In the US, there's one key reason why small cars don't sell (above and beyond the reasons I already listed), and that is that popular wisdom holds that you will die in a small car when someone in a large SUV or truck hits you. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy as people buy big cars because they don't feel safe in small ones, with the result that they become part of the "problem". Ultimately it's down to selfishness. Apparently people would rather kill someone else in an accident than risk being killed themselves.
It's idiotic, but this "wisdom" will only be unlearned slowly. Smaller cars are much safer now then they once were - safer than trucks and SUVs.
By way of a postscript, it's worth pointing out that today's safety and environmental regulations make it more difficult to make a car frugal, small and light than it was when Alec Issigonis designed the Mini. Also, aluminum construction (in smaller production cars such as the A2) remains nearly as rare and expensive as it was in the 50s.
But not the brand image... that could perhaps be the biggest stumbling block of all, it certainly is in Europe anyway.
True, and that's a shame, because brand image often matters than a car's actual merits. If the new Jetta is a turd, people will still buy it because the VW badge has cachet here that GM does not, at least in the realm of small cars.
I'm not going to stand up too much for GM, I've never held a high opinion of most of their products, but I have reasonably read good reviews of the Cruze and I hope they bring the diesel here.
Have to say my preference is for saloons... occasionally an estate (particularly A4 & A6 allroads, also 159 Sportwagons, that sort of thing), hatches (the bigger ones anyway) & estates can/tend to be a little boomy in my experience. Saloons also often have better body rigidity too.
The sedan body is the default in the US. Hatches and wagons are much rarer and therefore more interesting. In Europe it's really the other way around. When you're talking about mid-size or larger cars, sedans do generally have better proportions in my opinion (with a few exceptions - I like 5-Series wagon, and the 1990s Subaru Legacy wagon). Hatches look good on small cars though. The Focus, for example, looked stupid as a sedan but great as a hatch.
I do agree with you about the noise though - my Forester's rear suspension is sometimes very audible in the cabin, especially with the seats down. A few years before I bought my Forester, I used to mock it as the ugliest thing on the road, but I've gotten used to it and while it's never going to be attractive it does have a certain pleasing purposefulness in its proportions. Even though a lesbian couple I know call it my lesbian wagon. :rolleyes::D
It certainly could be significantly higher. Public taste, laziness on the part of manufacturers and other things have all conspired to keep the bar set low on fuel economy.
In the US, there's one key reason why small cars don't sell (above and beyond the reasons I already listed), and that is that popular wisdom holds that you will die in a small car when someone in a large SUV or truck hits you. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy as people buy big cars because they don't feel safe in small ones, with the result that they become part of the "problem". Ultimately it's down to selfishness. Apparently people would rather kill someone else in an accident than risk being killed themselves.
It's idiotic, but this "wisdom" will only be unlearned slowly. Smaller cars are much safer now then they once were - safer than trucks and SUVs.
By way of a postscript, it's worth pointing out that today's safety and environmental regulations make it more difficult to make a car frugal, small and light than it was when Alec Issigonis designed the Mini. Also, aluminum construction (in smaller production cars such as the A2) remains nearly as rare and expensive as it was in the 50s.
But not the brand image... that could perhaps be the biggest stumbling block of all, it certainly is in Europe anyway.
True, and that's a shame, because brand image often matters than a car's actual merits. If the new Jetta is a turd, people will still buy it because the VW badge has cachet here that GM does not, at least in the realm of small cars.
I'm not going to stand up too much for GM, I've never held a high opinion of most of their products, but I have reasonably read good reviews of the Cruze and I hope they bring the diesel here.
Have to say my preference is for saloons... occasionally an estate (particularly A4 & A6 allroads, also 159 Sportwagons, that sort of thing), hatches (the bigger ones anyway) & estates can/tend to be a little boomy in my experience. Saloons also often have better body rigidity too.
The sedan body is the default in the US. Hatches and wagons are much rarer and therefore more interesting. In Europe it's really the other way around. When you're talking about mid-size or larger cars, sedans do generally have better proportions in my opinion (with a few exceptions - I like 5-Series wagon, and the 1990s Subaru Legacy wagon). Hatches look good on small cars though. The Focus, for example, looked stupid as a sedan but great as a hatch.
I do agree with you about the noise though - my Forester's rear suspension is sometimes very audible in the cabin, especially with the seats down. A few years before I bought my Forester, I used to mock it as the ugliest thing on the road, but I've gotten used to it and while it's never going to be attractive it does have a certain pleasing purposefulness in its proportions. Even though a lesbian couple I know call it my lesbian wagon. :rolleyes::D
Multimedia
Sep 1, 01:41 PM
wouldn't swapping a conroe chip in be an option? just go to Fry's and buy the chip then.No.
eliamx
Sep 6, 07:35 PM
I hope hope hope that iTMovieStore becomes a super success.... and I hope that Steve will force them into a $9.99-Only model and not that stupid $14.99 hierachy..... they'll have to "submit" after it becomes super successful. haha.
now seriously, movies here in new york are a blasted $10.50-10.75!!! ridiculous. I remember like "2 weeks ago" when movies were at most 8.75, but then when Star Wars Episode 1 came out and then Episode II, AMC 25 in manhattan suddenly bumped their prices up.....each time. "Oh, cause Star Wars, we must raise prices".
And, they've kept it ever since. Movies are making huge returns, and yet we have to pay a boat-load of money.. Soon it'll be $15. And you know what, Hollywood is going to pay and so will the theater chains. I hope the online model takes over at high quality. I can see it now, I'll pay $50 for a "rental" ...i won't mind........ when i have a 54" iTunes-DRM-signed code for mass-viewing (This is the future, i think) and i'll have 10 friends over.... it'll be Theater-replacement baby!! Like boxing on PPV.... pay $50 and have 10 friends over. I'd pay.... i am talking about current releases. And, when they are 3 months old... $9.99 to buy. THank you Apple. Now, Do it!
no more distribution costs. no more manufacturing costs. lower prices. right? Not if Hollywood has their way with ridiculous $19.99 prices... HELLO!! Hello!! that's DVD prices.... for a packaged DVD......!! HELLO!!! McFly!!
This is why I'm getting into Hollywood myself. I plan to be part of the revolution. Sure I like money just like any other schmoe. But, there is something wrong with everythign right now. Especially since all movies are crap these days.... formulaic and tired. And they want to keep raising the prices!
Rant over:confused:
now seriously, movies here in new york are a blasted $10.50-10.75!!! ridiculous. I remember like "2 weeks ago" when movies were at most 8.75, but then when Star Wars Episode 1 came out and then Episode II, AMC 25 in manhattan suddenly bumped their prices up.....each time. "Oh, cause Star Wars, we must raise prices".
And, they've kept it ever since. Movies are making huge returns, and yet we have to pay a boat-load of money.. Soon it'll be $15. And you know what, Hollywood is going to pay and so will the theater chains. I hope the online model takes over at high quality. I can see it now, I'll pay $50 for a "rental" ...i won't mind........ when i have a 54" iTunes-DRM-signed code for mass-viewing (This is the future, i think) and i'll have 10 friends over.... it'll be Theater-replacement baby!! Like boxing on PPV.... pay $50 and have 10 friends over. I'd pay.... i am talking about current releases. And, when they are 3 months old... $9.99 to buy. THank you Apple. Now, Do it!
no more distribution costs. no more manufacturing costs. lower prices. right? Not if Hollywood has their way with ridiculous $19.99 prices... HELLO!! Hello!! that's DVD prices.... for a packaged DVD......!! HELLO!!! McFly!!
This is why I'm getting into Hollywood myself. I plan to be part of the revolution. Sure I like money just like any other schmoe. But, there is something wrong with everythign right now. Especially since all movies are crap these days.... formulaic and tired. And they want to keep raising the prices!
Rant over:confused:
MacRumors
Apr 21, 11:09 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/21/senator-asks-apple-about-location-tracking-issues-as-experts-weigh-in/)
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/04/21/120742-ios_gps_location.jpg

Daewoo leganza 20 cdx año 2000

Daewoo Leganza 2.0 CDX 2000

Used Daewoo Leganza 2.0 Cdx

Daewoo Leganza 2.2i Cdx R.2002

Daewoo Leganza Cdx for sale

2000 daewoo nubira cdx

2001 DAEWOO LEGANZA CDX/SX

2000+daewoo+nubira+cdx

this CDX model is powered

Daewoo. Model. Leganza
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2011/04/21/120742-ios_gps_location.jpg
840quadra
Nov 28, 02:35 PM
I don't think I'd hold up Sony as an example of how to innovate and market -- they lost their focus decades ago. Aside from the walkman, let's see what products has Sony pushed in the last 30 years...
Beta
MiniDisc
Memory Stick
ATRAC
Now we sit back and see if the PS3 and Blu-Ray follow the recent trend. If we're comparing Microsoft to Sony that's what you have to look forward to.
Sorry to have to say this, but the Playstation and PS2 (early years) were a great success.
The PS3 was late, but it is still too early ( like the Zune) to discount it as a good device or threat.
Beta
MiniDisc
Memory Stick
ATRAC
Now we sit back and see if the PS3 and Blu-Ray follow the recent trend. If we're comparing Microsoft to Sony that's what you have to look forward to.
Sorry to have to say this, but the Playstation and PS2 (early years) were a great success.
The PS3 was late, but it is still too early ( like the Zune) to discount it as a good device or threat.
whooleytoo
Sep 6, 02:08 PM
Look, they discontinued the $50 BTO superdrive option on the lower end model. Are they purposely trying to drive me to Velocity Micro?
It's the one thing I don't like about buying Apple - they deliberately restrict options on their lower cost hardware to push you to choose a more expensive model. Other OEMs seem happy to allow you to choose your model, then add on whatever you choose, with Apple you only really have options if you choose the most expensive model (Mac Pro) to begin with.
That's why we're never likely to see a cheap mini-tower Mac again, with upgradable CPU & GPU.*
I should add though, I'm glad there is an option in the mini line not to have a DVD writer, if it saves a few euros. I've had 3 Macs with them and have burnt a total of 2 DVDs, a complete waste of money.
(* yes, that was said deliberately in the hope of having egg on my face in a week's time. ;) )
It's the one thing I don't like about buying Apple - they deliberately restrict options on their lower cost hardware to push you to choose a more expensive model. Other OEMs seem happy to allow you to choose your model, then add on whatever you choose, with Apple you only really have options if you choose the most expensive model (Mac Pro) to begin with.
That's why we're never likely to see a cheap mini-tower Mac again, with upgradable CPU & GPU.*
I should add though, I'm glad there is an option in the mini line not to have a DVD writer, if it saves a few euros. I've had 3 Macs with them and have burnt a total of 2 DVDs, a complete waste of money.
(* yes, that was said deliberately in the hope of having egg on my face in a week's time. ;) )
TangoCharlie
Jul 14, 03:04 AM
I reckon these analyists get thier "information" by reading ThinkSecret and extrapolat even further!
Let's just see when the Mac Pro comes out! Heck, the "analysts" can't even agree which CPU the damn thing(s) are going to have!
(Pssst, Shhh.. don't tell anyone.... it's going to be Intel Xeon 5100 series a.k.a Woodcrest. Shhh. Don't tell anyone I said so!!)
ASIDE:
I used to do lots of work doing image analysis, and I wrote an application imaginitively called "Analysis". In Windows, when I had lots of versions of "Analysis" running, the names on the buttons on my task bar would get truncated. It made several people take a double-take when they saw all these buttons labeled Anal Anal Anal Anal Anal Anal Anal!!
Why did I mention that? Oh, yes, there's a reason they're called Analysts! :D
Let's just see when the Mac Pro comes out! Heck, the "analysts" can't even agree which CPU the damn thing(s) are going to have!
(Pssst, Shhh.. don't tell anyone.... it's going to be Intel Xeon 5100 series a.k.a Woodcrest. Shhh. Don't tell anyone I said so!!)
ASIDE:
I used to do lots of work doing image analysis, and I wrote an application imaginitively called "Analysis". In Windows, when I had lots of versions of "Analysis" running, the names on the buttons on my task bar would get truncated. It made several people take a double-take when they saw all these buttons labeled Anal Anal Anal Anal Anal Anal Anal!!
Why did I mention that? Oh, yes, there's a reason they're called Analysts! :D
Goldfinger
Aug 31, 02:56 PM
Let's hope that those specs aren't the final ones. That they're just to clear inventory.
I'm hoping for Merom based mac minis.. Merom costs the same so why not ?
I'm hoping for Merom based mac minis.. Merom costs the same so why not ?
rasmasyean
Mar 19, 05:01 PM
As if we need to be told that.
This forum needs a delete post function. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I get confused and even post accross a different forum by accident. lol Too much multitasking! :p
This forum needs a delete post function. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I get confused and even post accross a different forum by accident. lol Too much multitasking! :p
hleewell
Mar 22, 06:01 PM
- remove the click wheel
- extend the screen to fill up the front face
- slap in a multi touch display
- 220GB for movie watching & games, lotsa games
;)
- extend the screen to fill up the front face
- slap in a multi touch display
- 220GB for movie watching & games, lotsa games
;)
Maestro64
Nov 28, 04:03 PM
The Zune is now placing 48 position on Amazon, so not moving in a positive direction
jgould
Mar 1, 03:20 PM
My wife's desk:
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=273823&stc=1&d=1299014496
My current desk:
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=273828&stc=1&d=1299014496
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=273823&stc=1&d=1299014496
My current desk:
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=273828&stc=1&d=1299014496
ingenious
Mar 26, 03:47 PM
...For example, Apple had to make Safari due to Microsoft pulling out of the mac - this is just one example where Apple is starting to make software because companies are leaving the platform...
its my understanding that apple made this browser BEFORE MSIE was pulled from the mac. M$ pulled IE because they believed Safari was better and faster and could better serve the mac. it was also part of a marketing plan by M$ to remove IE as a stand alone browser from Win and Mac. Think before you post and do your homework. The rest of use don't want to read something that's not true or thot out.
its my understanding that apple made this browser BEFORE MSIE was pulled from the mac. M$ pulled IE because they believed Safari was better and faster and could better serve the mac. it was also part of a marketing plan by M$ to remove IE as a stand alone browser from Win and Mac. Think before you post and do your homework. The rest of use don't want to read something that's not true or thot out.
zoran
Nov 21, 10:10 AM
This rumor seems to be only a rumor! Its Nov 21st today, when will octos come? Next year i guess... damn it!:mad:
rasmasyean
Apr 8, 12:22 AM
Off Topic from Lybia. In some way I think WWII (or parts of it) has become a bit too mythological. Oh, and I am personally getting tired of hearing "The Greatest Generation" line getting used all the time by prominent figures in the country.
Back On Topic.
I don't really know what you mean by "mythological", but I guess you might be talking about how WWII is in a lot of movies and such. But I think that's just because of the timeline of TV/Video advancements to rapidly spread stories about psuedo-history.
If anything, the Cold War is more "mythological". Although not many ppl (of the belligerants themselves) actually fought and died, the existance of the Cold War gave rise to such advanced technology that has made the US "mythological". Rocketry, intercontinental filght, stealth, precision bombing, spacecraft, digital imaging, computers, the INTERNET.
Before WWII I don't think you can call the US a dominant world power. If anything the British were better...and especially the Royal Navy (although today is like a pale shadow of the US Navy) was the sheet...next to the Germans some may argue, of course. The US was just "protected" by geography and was an industrial revolution giant able to covert impregnable factories into war machines. Not that the highly capitalistic nature of US business moguls didn't help, naturally.
I mean, maybe the Nuclear Age was ushered by the US, but even that wasn't because of ppl who grew up in the US. It's more credited to ppl who like fled other parts of the world to be "safe" in the US. And of course, after WWII, many more "mythological minds" were "captured" and/or "found a haven" in the land of the last man standing...to give rise to Cold War toys.
Back On Topic.
I don't really know what you mean by "mythological", but I guess you might be talking about how WWII is in a lot of movies and such. But I think that's just because of the timeline of TV/Video advancements to rapidly spread stories about psuedo-history.
If anything, the Cold War is more "mythological". Although not many ppl (of the belligerants themselves) actually fought and died, the existance of the Cold War gave rise to such advanced technology that has made the US "mythological". Rocketry, intercontinental filght, stealth, precision bombing, spacecraft, digital imaging, computers, the INTERNET.
Before WWII I don't think you can call the US a dominant world power. If anything the British were better...and especially the Royal Navy (although today is like a pale shadow of the US Navy) was the sheet...next to the Germans some may argue, of course. The US was just "protected" by geography and was an industrial revolution giant able to covert impregnable factories into war machines. Not that the highly capitalistic nature of US business moguls didn't help, naturally.
I mean, maybe the Nuclear Age was ushered by the US, but even that wasn't because of ppl who grew up in the US. It's more credited to ppl who like fled other parts of the world to be "safe" in the US. And of course, after WWII, many more "mythological minds" were "captured" and/or "found a haven" in the land of the last man standing...to give rise to Cold War toys.
Irishman
May 3, 02:48 PM
The 6950m and 6970m are also available in 2gb models. That would help with the larger resolution of the 27" display. Let's hope for that as well!
Well, you got what you wanted on the 2GB 6970m! At least as a BTO option.
Well, you got what you wanted on the 2GB 6970m! At least as a BTO option.
Queso
Jul 19, 04:47 PM
Interesting comment from the conference call is that only 39% of Apple sales are now international. That was 50% not too long ago.
Based on that, the rise in Mac sales is almost exlusively US-based. If they can repeat that success in Japan, Europe etc., we could be looking at a lot more Mac sales every quarter.
Based on that, the rise in Mac sales is almost exlusively US-based. If they can repeat that success in Japan, Europe etc., we could be looking at a lot more Mac sales every quarter.
jxyama
Mar 19, 09:26 AM
Apple Computer, Inc.: Proudly dying since 1976. :rolleyes:
if apple really was dying, the last thing it needs to do is to listen to amateur marketing gurus and online petitions.
is the apple marketshare lower than it used to be in the 90s? yes, absolutely. that doesn't mean apple is dying - that it's on the blink of an extinction. a company with nearly $4 billion in cash reserve with no debt will be able to carry on for quite some time... (gee, how long have gateway been dying?)
funny you mention japan. last time i went to tokyo (oct. '03), i was hard pressed to find any store with an electronics/computer department that didn't carry any macs.
if apple really was dying, the last thing it needs to do is to listen to amateur marketing gurus and online petitions.
is the apple marketshare lower than it used to be in the 90s? yes, absolutely. that doesn't mean apple is dying - that it's on the blink of an extinction. a company with nearly $4 billion in cash reserve with no debt will be able to carry on for quite some time... (gee, how long have gateway been dying?)
funny you mention japan. last time i went to tokyo (oct. '03), i was hard pressed to find any store with an electronics/computer department that didn't carry any macs.
macfan70
Nov 27, 01:28 PM
To fit in to the Mac line up, the price for the 17" Widescreen should not be over 399 at which point you might as well get an iMac. I think if it is real, then Apple will fill the product gap and sell them for 299. Still iffy since most 17" LCDs go for at least 50 bucks less. :confused:
No comments:
Post a Comment