7on
Jul 18, 01:35 PM
I think the biggest problem is that most HD-DVDs use a WMV codec. And any WMV file with DRM is unplayable with osx. I highly doubt these files lack DRM. So OSX will probably not be able to playback HD-DVD disks. BR uses MPEG2 currently and will transition to .h264.
Apple released DVD-RAM with Power Macintoshes back in the day, why can't they release BTO BR drives? I see it more as a viable Data storage than video playback anyway.
Apple released DVD-RAM with Power Macintoshes back in the day, why can't they release BTO BR drives? I see it more as a viable Data storage than video playback anyway.

chille
Apr 5, 12:24 PM
In DP2, it seems that after using it for a while it uses significally more RAM than DP1. It even seems to that point where animations get laggy, like expanding folders e.g.
I discovered that the wibdow server process used over 400 mbs of RAM, but after shutting down the process and it had started up again it used about 20, which it usually does.
Also, BetterTouchTools seem to be working a lot less with DP2 compared to 1 for me. Every now and then my custom multi touch commands stop working, and the BTT needs to restart to function again. This is especially frustrating since in DP2 the LaunchPad is an independent .app, and I have assigned it to thre finger click, and removed most apps from the dock in an attempt som streamline my work flow.
All together I just love Lion, and there's no going back to SL! :)
I discovered that the wibdow server process used over 400 mbs of RAM, but after shutting down the process and it had started up again it used about 20, which it usually does.
Also, BetterTouchTools seem to be working a lot less with DP2 compared to 1 for me. Every now and then my custom multi touch commands stop working, and the BTT needs to restart to function again. This is especially frustrating since in DP2 the LaunchPad is an independent .app, and I have assigned it to thre finger click, and removed most apps from the dock in an attempt som streamline my work flow.
All together I just love Lion, and there's no going back to SL! :)
kultschar
Mar 26, 09:49 AM
I don't think the problem here is cost. Lots of people want an iPad, so this is like a fringe benefit. It's more about logistics. I don't think it makes sense to run two screens, and tether an iPad to the TV.
Heh, true, I use my iPhone as a Netflix player. Yet, I don't have to hold the iPhone to do it. I just set it up and enjoy the movie. An iPad is a nice tablet, but not a great controller.
I think a USB controller, going to the iPad 2 - that's connected to a TV - makes more sense. Then, it's like a real gaming console. Another possibility... the iPad 2 camera could be used for motion detection. Then, the gaming can be like the Wii or XBOX 360 Kinect.
My problem here is the cable � HDMI cables are usually short.
This is progress though.
I'm not bashing the iPad. I think it's cool. It's clearly the leader in the tablet market. Yet, I don't think this is the direction to go for gaming. I think the Apple TV makes more sense.
Apple TV � With a Camera � and that changes things.
FaceTime, Games, Apps on the TV.
But again, the controller is the problem. Apple is not leading here. It should set the standard, not let developers create Frankenstein gaming consoles. This isn't the Pipen. Apple has a strong opportunity to enter the game console space. I don't see a reason to delay.
Hmm - Apple TV with similar storage e.g. 32GB, 64GB, the ATV remote also acting as the gamepad (kinda like the wii control)
Games are compatible with both iPad and Apple TV (only buy once) and have the choice to play them on iPad or on ATV!!!
Sync from iTunes to put the games on both devices!
Now that would be cool - games are relatively cheap compared to consoles etc and they can also be used wit your iPhone and iPad (all Universal)
Heh, true, I use my iPhone as a Netflix player. Yet, I don't have to hold the iPhone to do it. I just set it up and enjoy the movie. An iPad is a nice tablet, but not a great controller.
I think a USB controller, going to the iPad 2 - that's connected to a TV - makes more sense. Then, it's like a real gaming console. Another possibility... the iPad 2 camera could be used for motion detection. Then, the gaming can be like the Wii or XBOX 360 Kinect.
My problem here is the cable � HDMI cables are usually short.
This is progress though.
I'm not bashing the iPad. I think it's cool. It's clearly the leader in the tablet market. Yet, I don't think this is the direction to go for gaming. I think the Apple TV makes more sense.
Apple TV � With a Camera � and that changes things.
FaceTime, Games, Apps on the TV.
But again, the controller is the problem. Apple is not leading here. It should set the standard, not let developers create Frankenstein gaming consoles. This isn't the Pipen. Apple has a strong opportunity to enter the game console space. I don't see a reason to delay.
Hmm - Apple TV with similar storage e.g. 32GB, 64GB, the ATV remote also acting as the gamepad (kinda like the wii control)
Games are compatible with both iPad and Apple TV (only buy once) and have the choice to play them on iPad or on ATV!!!
Sync from iTunes to put the games on both devices!
Now that would be cool - games are relatively cheap compared to consoles etc and they can also be used wit your iPhone and iPad (all Universal)
iMikeT
Oct 23, 06:19 PM
Wasn't this expected a couple months ago?
maceleven
Jan 13, 01:46 AM
Apple and several other companies began lobbying the Federal Communications Commission, which regulates use of the airwaves in the
meb91
Feb 21, 03:53 PM
Current setup, just got a Dell u2410 to go with the iMac
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/30/20110220at153835223.th.jpg (http://img820.imageshack.us/i/20110220at153835223.jpg/)
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/30/20110220at153835223.th.jpg (http://img820.imageshack.us/i/20110220at153835223.jpg/)
imac_japan
Mar 21, 09:19 AM
The point is made in Japan (or atleast a company from Japan) will have cheaper products that an American based company.
Thats not the least bit true ! and if you lived in Japan - you would understand. I don't mean to be rude at all. Dell for example has desktops for under 100 000 yen (about $1 200 US)....
eg:Australian Meat for example is cheaper than Japanese Meat....
Most foreign products are cheaper or about the same price as the Japanese product
Thats not the least bit true ! and if you lived in Japan - you would understand. I don't mean to be rude at all. Dell for example has desktops for under 100 000 yen (about $1 200 US)....
eg:Australian Meat for example is cheaper than Japanese Meat....
Most foreign products are cheaper or about the same price as the Japanese product
scottsjack
May 2, 05:25 PM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!
Although love my iPhone its OS, including the jiggling icons for deletion selection, seems more like a toy's OS. When I sit down at my MP the OS seems like an one made for actual grown-up, serious adults.
Although love my iPhone its OS, including the jiggling icons for deletion selection, seems more like a toy's OS. When I sit down at my MP the OS seems like an one made for actual grown-up, serious adults.
iEvolution
Mar 22, 09:17 PM
What is there to update on the classic besides capacity?
You serious?
- Add Radio
- Increase screen to around 3" (not enough to enter touch territory but a nice update)
- Add High Definition Output support
- Bluetooth Support
There are plenty of updates they could do, and now that the nano no longer has the click wheel the classic name can simply point to the iPod that has the click wheel.
You serious?
- Add Radio
- Increase screen to around 3" (not enough to enter touch territory but a nice update)
- Add High Definition Output support
- Bluetooth Support
There are plenty of updates they could do, and now that the nano no longer has the click wheel the classic name can simply point to the iPod that has the click wheel.
skidudeoz
Sep 14, 03:36 PM
Well if the US had a decent 3G network, then there would be no problem, like the REST OF THE WORLD!!!! No issues here in OZ!!
shartypants
Sep 14, 09:03 AM
And I hold strong on not renewing my magazine subscription!
lejudicieux
Nov 25, 10:03 PM
My gosh, they gigantic case joke was funny at first, then he tells you it's not amusing to him anymore, so you continue. You're beating a dead horse. In fact, this horse's insides are smeared all over the road.
Anyway, I bought an Acer Aspire One netbook with a free sleeve for $175 with tax.
It has the usual stats, and I plan on upgrading to a 6 cell battery eventually. I love it death.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8595/photoom.jpg
Anyway, I bought an Acer Aspire One netbook with a free sleeve for $175 with tax.
It has the usual stats, and I plan on upgrading to a 6 cell battery eventually. I love it death.
http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8595/photoom.jpg
mc68k
Jan 6, 05:51 PM
We are now in 56th place!
And mc68k should be over 10 million about now! Congrats! Happy new year :Dthats great news! it's been a while since we've been able to pass teams with ease. prob due to new enthusiastic users + the bigadv WUs
i'll be at 8 digits, not too bad. but it's really just a #. things might be changing for me for the worse WU-wise temporarily
And mc68k should be over 10 million about now! Congrats! Happy new year :Dthats great news! it's been a while since we've been able to pass teams with ease. prob due to new enthusiastic users + the bigadv WUs
i'll be at 8 digits, not too bad. but it's really just a #. things might be changing for me for the worse WU-wise temporarily
Jamesta
Oct 17, 09:58 PM
here's a case i bought off of ebay for 2 dollars. pretty plain http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350395819686&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_4233wt_905
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/Jamesta1234/IMG_9982.jpghttp://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/Jamesta1234/IMG_9981.jpghttp://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/Jamesta1234/IMG_9978.jpg
http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/Jamesta1234/IMG_9982.jpghttp://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/Jamesta1234/IMG_9981.jpghttp://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a403/Jamesta1234/IMG_9978.jpg
syklee26
Sep 7, 10:34 AM
here's a direct quote from apple.com store
"You'll get one main .Mac subscriber account with 1GB of storage space and four additional .Mac accounts with 250MB of storage space each"
so still a decent deal compared to apple price
well the problem is that sub accounts cannot exist without the main account and main account has to be renewed every year. so this essentially means i cannot use family pack by myself for 5 years.
"You'll get one main .Mac subscriber account with 1GB of storage space and four additional .Mac accounts with 250MB of storage space each"
so still a decent deal compared to apple price
well the problem is that sub accounts cannot exist without the main account and main account has to be renewed every year. so this essentially means i cannot use family pack by myself for 5 years.
hobbyrennfahrer
Jan 9, 08:23 AM
some better pics of my 135i...
http://www.abload.de/img/user5837_pic771_126142dmhc.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/user5837_pic772_126142em6p.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/user5837_pic3490_127268ms8.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/user5837_pic3492_127265m9o.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/user5837_pic771_126142dmhc.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/user5837_pic772_126142em6p.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/user5837_pic3490_127268ms8.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/user5837_pic3492_127265m9o.jpg
BenRoethig
Aug 29, 04:49 PM
Exactly!!!
I media center like this would sell like crazy... small, simple and elegant. Just imagine how many switchers you would get at the same time.
I don't know about switchers, but it should be a success in the home entertainment center/ media PC market.
I media center like this would sell like crazy... small, simple and elegant. Just imagine how many switchers you would get at the same time.
I don't know about switchers, but it should be a success in the home entertainment center/ media PC market.
Link2999
Sep 25, 09:58 PM
Looking for some more information on a case, the Griffin iClear to be specific.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Griffin+Technology+-+iClear+Case+with+Arm+Band+for+4th-Generation+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B+touch/1207257.p?id=1218234048743&skuId=1207257&st=griffin%20iclear&cp=1&lp=2
Can't really tell too much from the rendered image here. If anyone gets it or sees it in a store, would you mind taking some pics? Main things I'd like to know are how the holes line up (Mic, Speaker, etc.) and if the strap on the back goes through the Hard Plastic (like if there's some slots on the back of the case the band slides through, or is it a clip-on). Would really appreciate any reports on this. My closest Best Buy is a good 30 minutes away and I'd rather save myself a trip if someone else is planning to go up there anyways.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Griffin+Technology+-+iClear+Case+with+Arm+Band+for+4th-Generation+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B+touch/1207257.p?id=1218234048743&skuId=1207257&st=griffin%20iclear&cp=1&lp=2
Can't really tell too much from the rendered image here. If anyone gets it or sees it in a store, would you mind taking some pics? Main things I'd like to know are how the holes line up (Mic, Speaker, etc.) and if the strap on the back goes through the Hard Plastic (like if there's some slots on the back of the case the band slides through, or is it a clip-on). Would really appreciate any reports on this. My closest Best Buy is a good 30 minutes away and I'd rather save myself a trip if someone else is planning to go up there anyways.
daneoni
Jan 11, 09:04 PM
The only reason i can see it being called Air is because its all wireless....i.e. it connects to its Docking station wirelessly via Ultrawideband wireless USB (which would also connect the External Optical), Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc
I still call BS though.
I still call BS though.
BRLawyer
Aug 25, 11:23 AM
BestBuy says that MacMinis AND iMacs are sold out...will we see faster iMacs soon as well???
AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 24, 05:54 PM
Just taking a guess that it also includes the iMac, well praying :o
Is Conroe pin-compatible with the iMac, though? I didn't think it was...and I definitely think that Apple should try to get a Conroe chip in that computer (or else release a mid-sized tower).
Is Conroe pin-compatible with the iMac, though? I didn't think it was...and I definitely think that Apple should try to get a Conroe chip in that computer (or else release a mid-sized tower).
MacinDoc
Jan 2, 09:11 AM
Already posted on another thread, just re-posted here for ease of reference, my predictions for MWSF '07:
1. iTV details/specs, to be released by March. Alongside iTV will be non-Disney movies at the iTunes store and support for pre-N wireless in the current MacBooks and MBPs. All other Macs to be updated to include pre-N by March.
2. New displays, likely with integrated iSight.
3. "Secret" features of OS X 10.5 revealed. To be released in the first half of 2007 (actual release date to be in June, but Apple will not announce this until April).
4. iWork '07 with spreadsheet app.
5. iLife '07 will not be introduced until the Apple phone arrives, since features of the phone will be supported in iLife. Furthermore, no phone at MWSF; look for it in May instead.
1. iTV details/specs, to be released by March. Alongside iTV will be non-Disney movies at the iTunes store and support for pre-N wireless in the current MacBooks and MBPs. All other Macs to be updated to include pre-N by March.
2. New displays, likely with integrated iSight.
3. "Secret" features of OS X 10.5 revealed. To be released in the first half of 2007 (actual release date to be in June, but Apple will not announce this until April).
4. iWork '07 with spreadsheet app.
5. iLife '07 will not be introduced until the Apple phone arrives, since features of the phone will be supported in iLife. Furthermore, no phone at MWSF; look for it in May instead.
ifjake
Jul 18, 09:37 AM
for me, price must be less than 5 dollars, but not 5 dollars. i'd say even 2 dollars, since we're not going to own it, and owning a 40 minutes show from iTMS costs that much. This has to be competitive with stuff like netflix where the actual DVD is likely going to be much better quality than the low resolution crap they're likely to use with iTMS. ideally i would expect something like the 480p HD trailers they have at apple.com, but given the size of these files (let's see 1.5 minute trailer at 480p (848x400 it says) is 40MB, so say, a 120 minute movie at similar bitrates would be 3.2 GB) you're going to have to rent it the night before you want to watch it just so it'll download, even at fast broadband speeds. i'd say this isn't going to work. of course, i've always thought that movies apart from actual physical media will never be able to reach the quality we're all now expecting (soon 1080p tops) and even used to (DVDs), so i'm definitely biased towards this not working.
poppe
Sep 1, 01:23 PM
knowing Apple they may put a $1,999 price on it at intro, since they know there will be a mad rush of faithful. Then after a month or two when sales settle, drop the price to $1,899 for the holiday season. Both those prices could be $100 lower, depending on what the base config offers.
Has apple done this before? I'm not trying to make it sound like i'm rude, I really just dont know. I know that when the first MBP's came out they did that silent upgrade in power but I didnt think it was price.
Has apple done this before? I'm not trying to make it sound like i'm rude, I really just dont know. I know that when the first MBP's came out they did that silent upgrade in power but I didnt think it was price.
No comments:
Post a Comment