Azathoth
May 3, 03:38 AM
This concept might seem alien to a lot of MacRumours users, but being a 'switcher', the method of deleting any app on OS X currently seems very ad hoc. I've been a mac user now for about 4 years and yet the idea of having to delete an app by dragging it to the trash seems very... strange. You never know if you've deleted ALL of that program.
Since trying Mac the past 12 months, the biggest problem I have is that the "drag to trash" is inconsistent, just like the install process!
Half the apps require me to drag to Applications (and drag to trash to uninstall), the other half require me to run the installer, and find the custom uninstaller to remove them.
This is hard to explain to my mother (though thankfully she seldom really needs to install / uninstall apps).
Since trying Mac the past 12 months, the biggest problem I have is that the "drag to trash" is inconsistent, just like the install process!
Half the apps require me to drag to Applications (and drag to trash to uninstall), the other half require me to run the installer, and find the custom uninstaller to remove them.
This is hard to explain to my mother (though thankfully she seldom really needs to install / uninstall apps).
satkin2
May 3, 01:35 AM
If this deletes the app and all associated preference files etc then it's a good thing. Sure it's not as easy as dragging to the trash, but this doesn't remove all traces of the app.
As someone who's come over from the Windows world this has to be one of the few features that I think OS X is worse at. I shouldn't have to install a stand alone app (AppCleaner) to be sure that I'm removing the whole programme. If this new method does this then I can't see how this isn't a good thing.
As someone who's come over from the Windows world this has to be one of the few features that I think OS X is worse at. I shouldn't have to install a stand alone app (AppCleaner) to be sure that I'm removing the whole programme. If this new method does this then I can't see how this isn't a good thing.
stankuo
Sep 14, 11:18 PM
I got the incipio case for itouch 4g, it is pretty decent. Ordered it yesterday from amazon and it arrived today.

aiqw9182
Apr 12, 09:00 PM
The basic process of "This is my source, this is my output" has been around as long as film editing. The overall look of video editing, be it tape to tape, or the current (FC7) editing layout is more or less the same. In points, out points, etc.
Anyway, you know what. Fine. You can have your new iMovie. All yours. I sure as hell can't use it. The trailers in '11 were cute, but beyond that, it's not nearly good enough for polished output. If you want am, there's your option.
All I'm asking is they leave final cut PRO to the pros who know how to use it and like the interface. I want under the hood tweaks to make it faster. Cocoa?
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/22/timeline-tweak-returns-imovie-11-to-old-school/
Anyway, you know what. Fine. You can have your new iMovie. All yours. I sure as hell can't use it. The trailers in '11 were cute, but beyond that, it's not nearly good enough for polished output. If you want am, there's your option.
All I'm asking is they leave final cut PRO to the pros who know how to use it and like the interface. I want under the hood tweaks to make it faster. Cocoa?
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/10/22/timeline-tweak-returns-imovie-11-to-old-school/
ju5tin81
Nov 28, 02:21 PM
zune people don't seem to agree what it is bad. they just deny the true. here what they are ridiculous.
http://www.zunescene.com/forums/index.php?topic=3784.0
I am pro Apple, But I've never read such pro Apple posts in all my life... I doubt many real Zune users got a look in since you linked to that! :D
http://www.zunescene.com/forums/index.php?topic=3784.0
I am pro Apple, But I've never read such pro Apple posts in all my life... I doubt many real Zune users got a look in since you linked to that! :D
TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 24, 01:39 AM
damn Son, very nicely done!:cool:
That's a very old render. I doubt MacAllen made it. Plus, why would you want a transparent display on a desktop? I can almost understand it on a window, but on a desktop it just looks like ****.
That's a very old render. I doubt MacAllen made it. Plus, why would you want a transparent display on a desktop? I can almost understand it on a window, but on a desktop it just looks like ****.
mandis
Mar 25, 03:55 PM
At this pace the iPad3 will come close to the PS3 in terms of performance when it is released next year...
I'm really impressed by the increasing performance of the ARM architecture. Mind you all this is coming from a tiny SoC which doesn't require cooling or any substantial power intake.
Impressive indeed!
Maybe we'll be seeing ARM based Desktops by the end of the decade... or sooner?
I'm really impressed by the increasing performance of the ARM architecture. Mind you all this is coming from a tiny SoC which doesn't require cooling or any substantial power intake.
Impressive indeed!
Maybe we'll be seeing ARM based Desktops by the end of the decade... or sooner?
CIA
Apr 12, 08:51 PM
They output to tape because they cannot grasp the concept that tape became obsolete a decade ago (and the ones who can grasp it are stuck dealing with others who demand delivery and archive on tape.)
I hate getting tape as delivery, but man I love it for archive. Tape sticks around while hard drives and burned data DVD's fail all the time.
What? Am I supposed to move over 6TB of archived video packages into the cloud? Hows that gonna work?
I hate getting tape as delivery, but man I love it for archive. Tape sticks around while hard drives and burned data DVD's fail all the time.
What? Am I supposed to move over 6TB of archived video packages into the cloud? Hows that gonna work?
sisyphus
Sep 6, 06:15 PM
I know they want to sell and that it is probably easier to manage, but I would rather rent than buy. I have bought a total of 4 DVDs. So few movies are worth owning. Some are actually worth renting.
islanders
Dec 28, 01:20 AM
I wouldn't hold my breath on the word processing and web surfing. WebTV showed surfing the internet on a TV sucked because trying to read normal-sized text from six feet away was hard, and bumping the text size up would goof up the page layout generally. Same reason word processing would be silly.
Here is your quote SeaFox.
You are an condescending individual and take my post out of context.
Here is your quote SeaFox.
You are an condescending individual and take my post out of context.
mdatwood
Apr 26, 02:02 PM
Matts Macintosh describes 1984 Mac System 1 comes with dash-board like widgets. Video:
http://obamapacman.com/2011/04/1984-mac-os-system-1-gui-apps-video/
Interesting video, although being able to open a calculator seems to be a generous definition of widget.
http://obamapacman.com/2011/04/1984-mac-os-system-1-gui-apps-video/
Interesting video, although being able to open a calculator seems to be a generous definition of widget.
sc00byr00
Mar 23, 03:22 PM
Yippeee!
gr8whtd0pe
Jan 21, 09:08 PM
traded our CR-V in on Sunday, bought a 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5250/5376350835_210e8839b7_z.jpg
You are officially a parent now. Your cool factor is gone. LOL jk. TURBO IT!
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5250/5376350835_210e8839b7_z.jpg
You are officially a parent now. Your cool factor is gone. LOL jk. TURBO IT!
topicolo
Mar 28, 10:01 PM
They could do alot more.......That's all I'm going to say cause Im going to work...
Please sign the petition
P.S The point i'm trying to make is that Apple will always be a small company who thinks they affect the PC industry. The same thing happens every time, Apple makes something cool - The PC world makes the profit
My advice to you is to let this petition die. It's obvious that the most of the people don't agree with your ideas on the petition. How do you expect to convince apple if you have to convince people to sign your petition? You're interest in the well-being of apple is commendable, but this petition isn't going to work.
Please sign the petition
P.S The point i'm trying to make is that Apple will always be a small company who thinks they affect the PC industry. The same thing happens every time, Apple makes something cool - The PC world makes the profit
My advice to you is to let this petition die. It's obvious that the most of the people don't agree with your ideas on the petition. How do you expect to convince apple if you have to convince people to sign your petition? You're interest in the well-being of apple is commendable, but this petition isn't going to work.

AppliedVisual
Nov 16, 11:24 AM
One question about 512MB vs 1 & 2 GB mod bandwidth. If the Mac comes with two 512MB mods installed in Riser A and I buy two 2GB modules to put into Riser B - total 5GB, will the slower bandwidth (or whatever it's called) of the two 512MB mods slowing down the faster 2GB mods be offset by having RAM installed in both risers rather than pulling the 512's and only having two 2GB mods installed in Riser A only - total 4GB? The difference of 1GB of RAM doesn't seem like that part would matter if the 512 mods slow everything down.
Since the RAM all runs at the same speed and timings, no. The 512MB half-gate modules won't slow down the other RAM. However, any data going through the 512MB modules will see a very slight improvement in latency, but the upper ceiling for bandwidth out of those modules will be about half of what you would get out of a 1 or 2 GB module.
Personally, I would want all my RAM to be consistant...
Since the RAM all runs at the same speed and timings, no. The 512MB half-gate modules won't slow down the other RAM. However, any data going through the 512MB modules will see a very slight improvement in latency, but the upper ceiling for bandwidth out of those modules will be about half of what you would get out of a 1 or 2 GB module.
Personally, I would want all my RAM to be consistant...

UnreaL
Sep 5, 02:58 AM
Any updates guys?
I mean its the 5th today!
I want a new mac mini! :)
I mean its the 5th today!
I want a new mac mini! :)
lifeinhd
Feb 20, 08:59 AM
Not bad, I have it displaying Twitter feeds, NHL scores and weather mostly. If I hadn't have got it for a discount, I'd say the MSRP isn't worth it for the features it has.
Tried one in the Sony store at the mall, and I couldn't get it to actually _do_ anything. YouTube wouldn't play. Music wouldn't play. It wouldn't go back to the Home screen. Still not sure whether it was a shortcoming in the device or my intelligence, lol.
Tried one in the Sony store at the mall, and I couldn't get it to actually _do_ anything. YouTube wouldn't play. Music wouldn't play. It wouldn't go back to the Home screen. Still not sure whether it was a shortcoming in the device or my intelligence, lol.

fastlane1588
Sep 5, 08:37 AM
come on mbp!

kadajawi
Sep 6, 08:08 PM
Too expensive if you ask me. In the cinema I pay $2 for a not so new movie (1/2 year old?), indie stuff/classics/etc. costs $4, new big movies $5. Most DVDs I buy cost around $10. How good will the quality be? Better be good, it's possible to download HD quality stuff (with HD resolution) for free nowadays (not legal, but iTunes etc. have to compete with their free enemy too). I don't like the system of buy before you try anyways. I mean who knows if the movie you pay for isn't crap? The new Pink Panther was ok for example, but I thought that the trailer was some sort of best of... the good stuff was in the trailer already.
I prefer to have DVDs of movies I really like, not of movies where I think they may be great.
I prefer to have DVDs of movies I really like, not of movies where I think they may be great.
econgeek
Apr 12, 09:16 PM
http://twitpic.com/4k71a8
It does look like iMovie Pro.
And even though it is a ground up rewrite, 64-bit, modern, professional application, that alone is going to have people complaining about it-- I predict-- even before they've used it and found that it is - I'd bet a large sum- quite featureful in all the ways that are important to a professional.
It does look like iMovie Pro.
And even though it is a ground up rewrite, 64-bit, modern, professional application, that alone is going to have people complaining about it-- I predict-- even before they've used it and found that it is - I'd bet a large sum- quite featureful in all the ways that are important to a professional.
blackcrayon
Mar 25, 03:55 PM
iPad 1 does not support HDMI out, so I'm assuming no, it doesn't work.
iPad 1 does support HDMI out. Use the new Apple Digital AV adapter. Pretty amazing for Apple to "add" a feature to an old device ;)
The iPad 1 can't do *mirroring* over HDMI (at least not without jailbreaking)- but that's not what's going on here anyway. This could be done on an iPad 1, but of course it would be limited to 720p on the external screen, and probably not be able to maintain much of a framerate even then (for this game).
But less cpu/gpu intense games could run on the iPad 1 in a dual screen fashion if a developer really wanted to.
iPad 1 does support HDMI out. Use the new Apple Digital AV adapter. Pretty amazing for Apple to "add" a feature to an old device ;)
The iPad 1 can't do *mirroring* over HDMI (at least not without jailbreaking)- but that's not what's going on here anyway. This could be done on an iPad 1, but of course it would be limited to 720p on the external screen, and probably not be able to maintain much of a framerate even then (for this game).
But less cpu/gpu intense games could run on the iPad 1 in a dual screen fashion if a developer really wanted to.
MicroByte
Sep 14, 08:56 PM
@kelving525 - Which BB did you get the Belkin from? I'm about to cave and get the light blue one. Also, it really looks like a dark blue in your pics, is it really purple?
Chundles
Aug 7, 05:00 AM
You have a point, but it's already 7:40 pm on Monday here so your work day would already be done. Plus I'm in Australia so how much can I really complain?
On a side note:
Maybe some Aussies can help me understand the price difference of computers here. Back home I bought the 17" MacBook Pro for something like $3,300 AUD and I come over here and it's in the $4,500 AUD range. I did get the student discount back home, but that's a huge margin.
Edit:
Hmmm, location still didn't change.
US Store, 17" MBP (no taxes): AUD$3655
AU Store, 17" MBP (no GST): AUD$3999
CAN Store, 17" MBP (no taxes): AUD$3591
You have to add sales tax to the US and Canadian prices as they are not only aren't displayed in the price but the taxes differ from state to state/province to province. Aussie GST is quoted in the price and is that same across the country so a 17" MBP costs exactly the same in every state.
The difference is about $400 which is pretty big but we're not a big market, thus selling to us costs more as the size of the market can't make up for the increased cost of getting the products to us.
We also make more money, I remember a while ago doing a comparison between a waiter on Aussie award wages and US minimum wage in the purchase of an iBook. The US waiter would have to work ~2x as many hours as the aussie waiter to afford an iBook at our respective online Apple Stores.
On a side note:
Maybe some Aussies can help me understand the price difference of computers here. Back home I bought the 17" MacBook Pro for something like $3,300 AUD and I come over here and it's in the $4,500 AUD range. I did get the student discount back home, but that's a huge margin.
Edit:
Hmmm, location still didn't change.
US Store, 17" MBP (no taxes): AUD$3655
AU Store, 17" MBP (no GST): AUD$3999
CAN Store, 17" MBP (no taxes): AUD$3591
You have to add sales tax to the US and Canadian prices as they are not only aren't displayed in the price but the taxes differ from state to state/province to province. Aussie GST is quoted in the price and is that same across the country so a 17" MBP costs exactly the same in every state.
The difference is about $400 which is pretty big but we're not a big market, thus selling to us costs more as the size of the market can't make up for the increased cost of getting the products to us.
We also make more money, I remember a while ago doing a comparison between a waiter on Aussie award wages and US minimum wage in the purchase of an iBook. The US waiter would have to work ~2x as many hours as the aussie waiter to afford an iBook at our respective online Apple Stores.
SciFrog
Mar 23, 06:06 PM
Hopefully the bigadv will switch very soon to SMP2, they have much better restart rates. I also loose the unit almost everytime if I stop it or reboot...
No comments:
Post a Comment