Chris Bangle
Aug 5, 10:55 AM
i predict something cube shaped
milo
Sep 11, 11:36 AM
Except that under NetFlix, theortically (and I know people do this) you could get the DVDs, rip them, and send them back same day. Under a d/l scheme, you can only view the movies with a license. You only get, say 3 licenses. So you'd have to physically watch the movie, if you wanted to see it, before getting more. That would act as a brake on how many d/ls an avg. customer would make a month because most people only have time to watch 2-5 DVDs a month...if that. As for those who abuse the system, nothing to stop Apple from cutting people off just like Netflix does.
Even if you rip the DVD's from netflix (or just watch them immediately and send them back), you're still limited by the speed of the post office. With unlimited downloads, you could watch three or four movies a day if you had time (I doubt most Netflix users are only watching 2-5 DVD's a month, if they do they might be better off renting normally). The "brake" allows much fewer with Netflix. And if you really promise "unlimited", watching a ton isn't really abusing the system, is it? Apple would have to either have a monthly cap or raise prices.
Not to add onto the whining about merom notebooks, but I thought people a little while back were saying they'd be coming on the apple event on the 12th...:confused:
That was before the invites were sent. They won't be at the event, but they'll show up in the next week or so.
Even if you rip the DVD's from netflix (or just watch them immediately and send them back), you're still limited by the speed of the post office. With unlimited downloads, you could watch three or four movies a day if you had time (I doubt most Netflix users are only watching 2-5 DVD's a month, if they do they might be better off renting normally). The "brake" allows much fewer with Netflix. And if you really promise "unlimited", watching a ton isn't really abusing the system, is it? Apple would have to either have a monthly cap or raise prices.
Not to add onto the whining about merom notebooks, but I thought people a little while back were saying they'd be coming on the apple event on the 12th...:confused:
That was before the invites were sent. They won't be at the event, but they'll show up in the next week or so.
Multimedia
Aug 3, 12:49 AM
Jesus christ, did you even watch the video? They were not reporters they were Intel staffers. He even says that the CoreDuo lasted 3 hours, not your claimed 2. This isn't scientific AT ALL and I would much rather believe Intel engineers who presented the info at IDF than some random marketing drivel with absolutely no information provided on the hardware/software. :rolleyes:
Now stop claiming that dropping a Merom in a MB/MBP is going to result in two times the battery life. That is not true. And if you think it is I will make a bet with you right now.
I'm not anti Core2Duo, I'm anti disinformation.1.67 x 3 = 5
1.67 rounded UP = 2
Almost TWICE and I never wrote "two times".
Now stop claiming that dropping a Merom in a MB/MBP is going to result in two times the battery life. That is not true. And if you think it is I will make a bet with you right now.
I'm not anti Core2Duo, I'm anti disinformation.1.67 x 3 = 5
1.67 rounded UP = 2
Almost TWICE and I never wrote "two times".
jholzner
Aug 11, 09:08 AM
It sure does. Quite exciting really. I think all consumer products will get Core 2 Duo (merom + conroe) in September. Although, seeing as Merom is socket compatable with the current line up, I dont think we will see a Conroe in the iMac.
I tend to agree that they may use Merom in the iMac but since they put Woodcrest in the Mac Pros it gives me hope that they won't use Merom in the iMac and just use it in the portable line where they really belong.
I tend to agree that they may use Merom in the iMac but since they put Woodcrest in the Mac Pros it gives me hope that they won't use Merom in the iMac and just use it in the portable line where they really belong.
commander.data
May 6, 12:35 AM
Perhaps in 2 years ARM will have architectures that will offer the performance levels expected of desktops and laptops, but at the same time Intel's designs are getting more efficient all the time. So by the time ARM is ready to negate Intel's performance advantage, Intel will be ready to negate ARM's power advantage. I don't really see any advantage in switching Macs to ARM.
What's more while ARM may be appropriate for laptops for efficiency reasons, what is Apple going to do about the Mac Pro? Accept reduced performance, discontinue it, keep it on Intel processors and support 2 architectures in parallel?
And the Intel transition was eased because PowerPC is a more strict and well defined standard so is easier to emulate. x86 however is pretty much a mess that's yielded better performance over time because of increasing numbers of features being tacked on, but won't be efficient to emulate. So an x86/x64>ARM transition won't be as smooth as PowerPC>x86/x64 was.
What's more while ARM may be appropriate for laptops for efficiency reasons, what is Apple going to do about the Mac Pro? Accept reduced performance, discontinue it, keep it on Intel processors and support 2 architectures in parallel?
And the Intel transition was eased because PowerPC is a more strict and well defined standard so is easier to emulate. x86 however is pretty much a mess that's yielded better performance over time because of increasing numbers of features being tacked on, but won't be efficient to emulate. So an x86/x64>ARM transition won't be as smooth as PowerPC>x86/x64 was.
Kenrik
Apr 22, 10:01 AM
uuumm...yes I do want my MP on the desk. On the floor is where all the **** and dust is.
Agreed.. Under a desk it has less airflow, more dirt and crap.
Actually I prefer it being under the desk because it looks cleaner but it is NOT better for the computer. I don't know what that guy is smoking.
Agreed.. Under a desk it has less airflow, more dirt and crap.
Actually I prefer it being under the desk because it looks cleaner but it is NOT better for the computer. I don't know what that guy is smoking.
Cougarcat
May 4, 06:30 PM
But how do you boot from a disk image without a disk???
Restore it to an external (but you do not have to do this to install Lion. The installer will install some things while in SL, then restart and finish the installation).
Restore it to an external (but you do not have to do this to install Lion. The installer will install some things while in SL, then restart and finish the installation).
Michael383
Mar 30, 04:10 AM
This must be the number 1 concern on all of Japans minds right now... How will everyone survive without an ipod.
!
With all the devastation in Japan I think I could wait for an Ipod battery.
!
With all the devastation in Japan I think I could wait for an Ipod battery.
balamw
May 2, 08:04 PM
a lb. of butter is still called a lb. of butter here in Canada
When growing up in Europe in the 70s a pound was simply redefined as 500 g. For most purposes the 10% error is insignificant.
Volume units (1 liter = 1 quart) work similarly, and 1-2 liter containers are fairly common even here in the US.
B
When growing up in Europe in the 70s a pound was simply redefined as 500 g. For most purposes the 10% error is insignificant.
Volume units (1 liter = 1 quart) work similarly, and 1-2 liter containers are fairly common even here in the US.
B
Thunderhawks
Apr 6, 08:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)
The jailbreak haters make me laugh. My phone works just fine and while I do use a bit more memory, it's perfectly stable and I get a phone with far more utility. Any resultant perfomance issues are so negligible stock is not even competition.
I understand some people bite off more than they can chew when they JB. I also know that scenario doesn't apply to everyone.
While I am not a jailbreak hater (do as you please:-), I am wondering why people buy a product that is not perfect for them and then change it.
My point is that if it works fine, but if it doesn't work don't go and blame Apple or use their services for FREE to restore your messed up device.
I have been able to help people restore several JB ipods (kids in school).
Most of these were about eye candy or screen looks, wallpapers.
Something I don't need, but to each her/his own.
I liken JB to somebody buying a car and then going under the hood and change things in the way the motor works, so they can add boosters, compression changers, modify valves and ignition features or similar stuff.
When it then croaks out they blame the car manufacturer.
Always blaming somebody else seems to be the norm a lot these days.
Luckily JB people can restore their devices. If that was not possible JB would not be happening.
Maybe Apple should be looking into blocking restoring? I am sure they can come up with a way that JB would be recognized.
The jailbreak haters make me laugh. My phone works just fine and while I do use a bit more memory, it's perfectly stable and I get a phone with far more utility. Any resultant perfomance issues are so negligible stock is not even competition.
I understand some people bite off more than they can chew when they JB. I also know that scenario doesn't apply to everyone.
While I am not a jailbreak hater (do as you please:-), I am wondering why people buy a product that is not perfect for them and then change it.
My point is that if it works fine, but if it doesn't work don't go and blame Apple or use their services for FREE to restore your messed up device.
I have been able to help people restore several JB ipods (kids in school).
Most of these were about eye candy or screen looks, wallpapers.
Something I don't need, but to each her/his own.
I liken JB to somebody buying a car and then going under the hood and change things in the way the motor works, so they can add boosters, compression changers, modify valves and ignition features or similar stuff.
When it then croaks out they blame the car manufacturer.
Always blaming somebody else seems to be the norm a lot these days.
Luckily JB people can restore their devices. If that was not possible JB would not be happening.
Maybe Apple should be looking into blocking restoring? I am sure they can come up with a way that JB would be recognized.
DakotaGuy
Aug 7, 06:00 PM
About the cube pro or headless iMac
Yes, but quiet. Without fans, if possible.
I'm pretty much sure anything at this performance level will need fans. We are not dealing with a G3 processor anymore.
Anyhow I agree with the people that want a tower in between the iMac and these new Mac Pros. In fact, I would say these new models are probably complete overkill for 80% of Mac users. The 20% that really need this kind of power know who they are. The rest only need it for bragging rights.
I like the iMac it is perfect in my eyes, but many people like to have something that is expandable. Something they can get inside of and change things.
I don't even know if Apple needs a whole new case for that. Just a single dual core processor model would be fine. Either a single Xeon or a single Core 2 Duo. Something priced around $1,500 (+ or - a few dollars) fairly well equipped.
Like I said before these things are beasts almost to the point of overkill except for professionals. Not everyone wants an all-in-one and the Mac Mini is not comparable to a tower in any way. So I think these people's complants are justified.
Yes, but quiet. Without fans, if possible.
I'm pretty much sure anything at this performance level will need fans. We are not dealing with a G3 processor anymore.
Anyhow I agree with the people that want a tower in between the iMac and these new Mac Pros. In fact, I would say these new models are probably complete overkill for 80% of Mac users. The 20% that really need this kind of power know who they are. The rest only need it for bragging rights.
I like the iMac it is perfect in my eyes, but many people like to have something that is expandable. Something they can get inside of and change things.
I don't even know if Apple needs a whole new case for that. Just a single dual core processor model would be fine. Either a single Xeon or a single Core 2 Duo. Something priced around $1,500 (+ or - a few dollars) fairly well equipped.
Like I said before these things are beasts almost to the point of overkill except for professionals. Not everyone wants an all-in-one and the Mac Mini is not comparable to a tower in any way. So I think these people's complants are justified.
SA22C
Nov 5, 06:54 AM
Every platform has issues and my guess is that Apple's less-than-stellar response time to exploits and the ever-rising Mac marketshare means that our time with no viruses/malware is going to come to an end. I'm glad there's a free solution out there and I'll be more than happy to try it out.
Plutonius
May 3, 06:41 PM
Ahh, gotcha. So I guess our best bet is to just explore the room we're in.
No traps in the current room so we can leave without searching the current room.
No traps in the current room so we can leave without searching the current room.
alec
Aug 2, 11:17 AM
I know what also to expect from WWDC -- a nice stock rise! Pretty nice if you bought Apple stock recently, considering it was at $50 a month ago and now is over $67 a share....
pubwvj
Mar 27, 10:49 AM
With the cloud computing stuff there is too much additional fees. I'm not interested.
I already pay for my hardware that sits in my house.
I already pay for my mobile hardware that goes with me.
I already pay for operating system and other software updates for both.
I already pay my ISP for connectivity.
I already pay my phone provider for connectivity (actually my ISP).
I already pay my web host company for bandwidth and disk space.*
I'm NOT interested in paying Apple another subscription fee on top of all that.
Access to my data from my mobile devices should be transparent and should be part of their shared OS. No need for more billing complexity.
K.I.S.S.
*Why don't I self-host on my home machine? Bandwidth limits of my ISP and the fact that they are a monopoly. A server farm offers orders of magnitude faster connectivity.
I already pay for my hardware that sits in my house.
I already pay for my mobile hardware that goes with me.
I already pay for operating system and other software updates for both.
I already pay my ISP for connectivity.
I already pay my phone provider for connectivity (actually my ISP).
I already pay my web host company for bandwidth and disk space.*
I'm NOT interested in paying Apple another subscription fee on top of all that.
Access to my data from my mobile devices should be transparent and should be part of their shared OS. No need for more billing complexity.
K.I.S.S.
*Why don't I self-host on my home machine? Bandwidth limits of my ISP and the fact that they are a monopoly. A server farm offers orders of magnitude faster connectivity.
ravenvii
May 4, 09:56 PM
I'd like to make sure of some things.
The villain started with 0 points. He then earned 2 points by taking two turns.
We did our thing
He took two more turns earning 2 more points for 4 total. He obviously used at least one point to make a goblin. So he had 3 or less points, depending on whether he bought more traps. They could be anywhere, even far from where we currently are (e.g., he could be putting defenses around his lair. )
Do I have that straight?
You got all that correct.
The villain started with 0 points. He then earned 2 points by taking two turns.
We did our thing
He took two more turns earning 2 more points for 4 total. He obviously used at least one point to make a goblin. So he had 3 or less points, depending on whether he bought more traps. They could be anywhere, even far from where we currently are (e.g., he could be putting defenses around his lair. )
Do I have that straight?
You got all that correct.
PhoneI
Mar 27, 10:02 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
Getting mad doesn't impact apple's plans, unfortunately.
yeah your right. Apple should alter their release schedules based on how mad their customers get when a new device is released. Especially since the device this customer bought still works exactly like they expected it to when they purchased it.
Getting mad doesn't impact apple's plans, unfortunately.
yeah your right. Apple should alter their release schedules based on how mad their customers get when a new device is released. Especially since the device this customer bought still works exactly like they expected it to when they purchased it.
Blipp
Apr 25, 08:57 AM
Call me naive (or perhaps paranoid) but I've been assuming my location is being tracked since I bought my first smart phone years ago.
iMacZealot
Aug 4, 11:40 PM
If Im not mistaken every KeyNote from Steve Jobs, whether at WWDC, MacWorld or any other event from Apple has been on tuesdays. Why is this one DIFFERENT. Could we see a Movie Store on Tuesday ???????
No. Unlike your last five posts (which have all said the same things, how original) have said, most, if not all keynotes are on Mondays, with the exception of special events typically releasing new iPods. Ever thought of checking something first? it's an amazing thing to do that will prevent you from making the same embarrasing mistake five times.
No. Unlike your last five posts (which have all said the same things, how original) have said, most, if not all keynotes are on Mondays, with the exception of special events typically releasing new iPods. Ever thought of checking something first? it's an amazing thing to do that will prevent you from making the same embarrasing mistake five times.
spazzcat
Mar 29, 08:59 AM
isn't dropbox the same thing?
lucabrasi
Mar 30, 06:04 PM
Will this work on the 2011 mbp's?
I sure hope so, downloading now to try but it's coming rather slowly...
I sure hope so, downloading now to try but it's coming rather slowly...
mmomega
May 4, 02:49 PM
I see this as fine for the majority of Apple users but for those that "tinker" or need/want to reinstall OS X after a new hard drive install or just for the hell of it, it means reinstalling Snow Leopard first then re-downloading Lion from the App Store then upgrading.
Very time consuming.
There are times when I need to pop in the disc to fix a problem.
I'll just drive to the local Apple store and pick up a hard copy myself.
Very time consuming.
There are times when I need to pop in the disc to fix a problem.
I'll just drive to the local Apple store and pick up a hard copy myself.
marvel2
Jan 20, 01:19 PM
Let me know how loud the volume is during a call conversation. If it is significantly louder than the TomTom, I may jump ship and get the Megellan unit.
My car has no sound dampening material :(
My car has no sound dampening material :(
ValSalva
May 7, 12:12 PM
Drop Box
Drop Box sits on top of Amazon's S3 storage. What they've done is built up the front end so that when you drop a file on your Drop Box it caches the file locally and then syncs to the cloud "behind the scene". So when you open a file sitting in your Drop Box it feels like working on a local file because you "are" working on the local file. Any changes made from you or anyone the file has shared with will be sync'd in the background.
Most people don't understand the fundamental differences between iDisk and Drop Box. If Apple was to build a front end to iDisk that stored the file locally and then sync'd over WebDAV in the background they'd be able to offer the same performance.
Thanks. IMHO this should be the future of cloud computing. Working locally is always and will always be faster. When they work, Dropbox type services give one the power of local storage and local computer resources (compared to web apps) with immediate backup and access everywhere.
Drop Box sits on top of Amazon's S3 storage. What they've done is built up the front end so that when you drop a file on your Drop Box it caches the file locally and then syncs to the cloud "behind the scene". So when you open a file sitting in your Drop Box it feels like working on a local file because you "are" working on the local file. Any changes made from you or anyone the file has shared with will be sync'd in the background.
Most people don't understand the fundamental differences between iDisk and Drop Box. If Apple was to build a front end to iDisk that stored the file locally and then sync'd over WebDAV in the background they'd be able to offer the same performance.
Thanks. IMHO this should be the future of cloud computing. Working locally is always and will always be faster. When they work, Dropbox type services give one the power of local storage and local computer resources (compared to web apps) with immediate backup and access everywhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment