Mr-Stabby
Apr 12, 09:29 PM
Isn't this utterly fantastic? These are the kinds of updates we used to get before Apple went all iPhone and iPad crazy. Glad to see they are finally giving such love to their Pro customers. Although i imagine this has been in the pipeline for a very long time!
If Apple give me a new Mac Pro to run this on, i will spend my entire years wage on them!
If Apple give me a new Mac Pro to run this on, i will spend my entire years wage on them!
baryon
Jun 23, 07:08 AM
Okay, but I cannot live without full featured Photoshop and Final Cut Pro. Also, I can't live without extensions like Perian, applications like Transmission, Cyberduck and VLC. I don't see how those would make it into iOS, through Apple's approval system. I need custom built applications and less "official" stuff as well. I'm fine with my iPod Touch not letting me run everything I run on my Mac, but I need my computer to be able to do EVERYTHING. I'm sure Apple loves iOS and wants to deploy it everywhere they can, but I'm also sure they don't want to stop with OS X. Now Steve has said recently that PCs are like trucks and that they'll still be around but only for people who really need them. If that's the case, PCs are no longer going to be consumer devices, so they won't have the good support they have now (new features regularly, updates, etc...) So we're going to be left behind if we want to keep using a computer for what a computer really is: everything.
I love the idea of iOS but that's because it makes sense that an iPhone or iPad cannot run a conventional OS. A real desktop computer with a touch screen would have many problems such as precision. Also I can't see iOS adopting custom built drivers and applications for custom hardware and stuff like that. Yes iOS rocks for most people who only use a computer for Facebook, MSN and browsing the web. But I feel like that's totally not me, and I don't want to get left out of all the innovation. We're seeing Apple focus more and more on iOS and leaving OS X behind a bit could be one of their next moves. I don't want OS X to end up like Final Cut Pro: rarely updated and with an interface that comes from the past millennium.
There's no indication that this would be the case, but I'm sure it would work for Apple and most people.
I love the idea of iOS but that's because it makes sense that an iPhone or iPad cannot run a conventional OS. A real desktop computer with a touch screen would have many problems such as precision. Also I can't see iOS adopting custom built drivers and applications for custom hardware and stuff like that. Yes iOS rocks for most people who only use a computer for Facebook, MSN and browsing the web. But I feel like that's totally not me, and I don't want to get left out of all the innovation. We're seeing Apple focus more and more on iOS and leaving OS X behind a bit could be one of their next moves. I don't want OS X to end up like Final Cut Pro: rarely updated and with an interface that comes from the past millennium.
There's no indication that this would be the case, but I'm sure it would work for Apple and most people.
eenu
Aug 16, 11:13 AM
Both companies have cult-like followings (Apple and Stern, and let's face it, Stern is Sirius)
Allow Sirius subscribers to get satellite radio on their ipods, maybe even download a limited portion to the HD.
But the killer feature is the ability to BOOKMARK a song you like and buy it from iTunes later or over the air for those who want wireless.
I already have a lifetime Sirius subscription as well as numerous Apple products including an ipod.
PLEASE make it happen and don't let the Zune get this feature first.
As far as i can see Sirius is really an american service? Lets not forget Apple needs to make product releases applicable for the world outside america....one does exist :p
Allow Sirius subscribers to get satellite radio on their ipods, maybe even download a limited portion to the HD.
But the killer feature is the ability to BOOKMARK a song you like and buy it from iTunes later or over the air for those who want wireless.
I already have a lifetime Sirius subscription as well as numerous Apple products including an ipod.
PLEASE make it happen and don't let the Zune get this feature first.
As far as i can see Sirius is really an american service? Lets not forget Apple needs to make product releases applicable for the world outside america....one does exist :p
mrgreen4242
Nov 28, 10:43 AM
OK, this is out of hand... all of you who are complaining about Dell being half the price of the Apple LCDs read the topic that's been linked like 5 times, it's pretty interesting and informative.
Now, all of you who are complaining about those people complain shut up and listen (or read) for a minute. They aren't complaining that Apple is charging to much for what they are offering, it's that they aren't offering any alternative for non-pro users. There are people who want, and would pay a bit more than Dell prices, for a similar piece of hardware with Apple's quality and design, but they aren't willing to pay 50%+ more for a professional grade piece of hardware.
A 17" consumer line of displays would solve the problem without negatively effecting the pro line of hardware. If it sold well (and I'm betting it would, especially if it was the same panel as the 17" iMac with a USB2 hub, iSight, and built in speakers in an iPod styled casing for ~$249) a 19" with the same features but a higher res (although all the 19" widescreens I've seen have had the same res as 17" WS ... someone must make a 19" panel with res between 1440x900 and 1680x1050) for ~$349 or so it'd really fill out Apple product line to meet the needs of all consumers, "prosumers", and real pros.
Now, all of you who are complaining about those people complain shut up and listen (or read) for a minute. They aren't complaining that Apple is charging to much for what they are offering, it's that they aren't offering any alternative for non-pro users. There are people who want, and would pay a bit more than Dell prices, for a similar piece of hardware with Apple's quality and design, but they aren't willing to pay 50%+ more for a professional grade piece of hardware.
A 17" consumer line of displays would solve the problem without negatively effecting the pro line of hardware. If it sold well (and I'm betting it would, especially if it was the same panel as the 17" iMac with a USB2 hub, iSight, and built in speakers in an iPod styled casing for ~$249) a 19" with the same features but a higher res (although all the 19" widescreens I've seen have had the same res as 17" WS ... someone must make a 19" panel with res between 1440x900 and 1680x1050) for ~$349 or so it'd really fill out Apple product line to meet the needs of all consumers, "prosumers", and real pros.
lyzardking
Dec 29, 03:23 PM
Sorry you couldn't have stayed in 4th place for longer lyzardking... but at least you can claim you were there! :D And you are getting more points for the team!
Doesn't look like I'll be fifth for that long (looking over a shoulder at a quickly approaching twoodcc)
:cool:
Doesn't look like I'll be fifth for that long (looking over a shoulder at a quickly approaching twoodcc)
:cool:
BornAgainMac
Jan 11, 07:07 PM
I am still hoping the laptop is a tablet. Whenever I replay the Keynote about the secret features, I think those features were just not implemented in Leopard. The iphone was the secret hardware feature.
razzmatazz
Aug 6, 09:53 PM
My cup runneth over with excitement.
Too bad I'll be in class all day tomorrow and won't get the minute by minute MR coverage...unless I bring my macbook to class with me. :D
haha! Yea I'm going to be glued to my Macbook watching the updates and jumping with excitement when something is announced :D
Then when the online video comes up on the apple website ill be watching it start to finish and nobody will be able to bother me lol :p
Too bad I'll be in class all day tomorrow and won't get the minute by minute MR coverage...unless I bring my macbook to class with me. :D
haha! Yea I'm going to be glued to my Macbook watching the updates and jumping with excitement when something is announced :D
Then when the online video comes up on the apple website ill be watching it start to finish and nobody will be able to bother me lol :p
Storm9
Oct 12, 12:24 AM
thanks. when it gets colder here, i'll start doing the bigadv units again. then the points should really add up. if they keep the units going.
What are bigadv units? and how do I run them?
I am currently running two instances using:
./fah6 -local -smp -verbosity 9
do I just add the flag ' -bigadv ' to my command above?
PS: I have a 2.53ghz MBP
What are bigadv units? and how do I run them?
I am currently running two instances using:
./fah6 -local -smp -verbosity 9
do I just add the flag ' -bigadv ' to my command above?
PS: I have a 2.53ghz MBP
BenRoethig
Aug 29, 11:45 AM
I would like to see a "media center" with a basic built-in TV-tuner so I could use it as a TIVO. It cant be that hard to add a TV-tuner...
I'm thinking something similar. 3.5x8.5x8.5. Basically a larger MacMini with a 3.5" hard drive, dedicated graphics, and video chipset similar to the Miglia TV Max.
I'm thinking something similar. 3.5x8.5x8.5. Basically a larger MacMini with a 3.5" hard drive, dedicated graphics, and video chipset similar to the Miglia TV Max.
cube
Mar 24, 03:26 PM
Cool story bro, would read again. If you want the fusion so badly then buy a PC. No one's forcing you to buy from Apple.
I am forced to buy Apple because of the lack of commercial Linux applications for consumers.
I am forced to buy Apple because of the lack of commercial Linux applications for consumers.
skunk
Mar 21, 02:19 PM
But the rebels are not in contact with the rest of the world through any official channels, and media access is poor.Twitter (http://twitter.com/ShababLibya) is informative, but after 42 years of impotence, normal service cannot be resumed instantaneously. The prospects seem remarkably good, though, that what emerges from this will be an unusually honest democracy.
skunk
Mar 19, 08:16 PM
Heartwarming as the death and destruction being visited on the regime in Tripoli may be, the ongoing glee on the one hand and disinformation on the other being willingly retailed by the mass media is sickening. The truth is that we have absolutely no idea what is really going on. The information from Twitter appears to be wildly inaccurate, even misleading, and the information from reporters on the ground seems to be pure guesswork informed by propaganda. Truth, as ever, is the first casualty of war, and nobody seems to care as long as they can fabricate a good narrative.
Detlev
Jul 18, 08:42 PM
- People don't watch movies over and over like they do songs
Ah, I must not be people then and kids must not be either. How many times have you seen [pick your favorite movie] on DVD?
- Renting is cheaper than buying
Actually, that is not true UNLESS you are one of the people you mentioned above and then it would still depend on where or how you are getting rentals. Then you would have to state whether you mean per viewing or per title.
The rest I agree with.
Ah, I must not be people then and kids must not be either. How many times have you seen [pick your favorite movie] on DVD?
- Renting is cheaper than buying
Actually, that is not true UNLESS you are one of the people you mentioned above and then it would still depend on where or how you are getting rentals. Then you would have to state whether you mean per viewing or per title.
The rest I agree with.
caderousse
Apr 26, 02:37 PM
Wow some of you guys really ride Apple's jock huh? How the hell can you claim 'App Store' as non-generic?
MS and Amazon are clearly correct here. Apple should just pay their legal fees and move on.
MS and Amazon are clearly correct here. Apple should just pay their legal fees and move on.
puma1552
Feb 5, 08:48 PM
For something creeping up on 15 years old, that thing is in fantastic shape. Mustangs are an odd car for me. I never seem to like them each time a new one is released, but then the older they get, the more I start to like them. A buddy of mine has a '93 Cobra with just a couple thousand miles on it, and I absolutely love it.
I read a story a while back about people and their music tastes. Many people never really get out of their 20's with their favorite bands. The stuff you like around that age is what sticks with you forever as your favorite. I think it might be something similar with cars. I see cars from back in the early-mid 90s, when I was in high school and then into college, and I get all nostalgic and stuff. Fox body 5L Mustangs, FC RX7s, C4 Corvettes, Syclone/Typhoon, etc. The older I get, and the older those cars get, the more I love them. New cars are nice, but some things just stick with you. And those cars are permanently stuck with me.
Treat that Stang nice Puma, because it is certainly a keeper.
Well said.
Yeah it's definitely been taken care of, both owners kept it for quite a few years each, both only putting about 6,500 miles a year on it. You can tell it's been garaged likely its whole life because the headlights and tail lights aren't hazy from sun exposure.
I remember when these cars were just 1-2 years old, basically factory fresh, and I would go to the dealer and drool over them under the lights at night--ones just like this, with these 17" wheels and leather. I've always loved them, and probably always will. I'm also a fan of the 5L cars, and the thirdgen F-bodies of the day (I own a thirdgen Camaro too).
I really can't wait to get it.:)
I read a story a while back about people and their music tastes. Many people never really get out of their 20's with their favorite bands. The stuff you like around that age is what sticks with you forever as your favorite. I think it might be something similar with cars. I see cars from back in the early-mid 90s, when I was in high school and then into college, and I get all nostalgic and stuff. Fox body 5L Mustangs, FC RX7s, C4 Corvettes, Syclone/Typhoon, etc. The older I get, and the older those cars get, the more I love them. New cars are nice, but some things just stick with you. And those cars are permanently stuck with me.
Treat that Stang nice Puma, because it is certainly a keeper.
Well said.
Yeah it's definitely been taken care of, both owners kept it for quite a few years each, both only putting about 6,500 miles a year on it. You can tell it's been garaged likely its whole life because the headlights and tail lights aren't hazy from sun exposure.
I remember when these cars were just 1-2 years old, basically factory fresh, and I would go to the dealer and drool over them under the lights at night--ones just like this, with these 17" wheels and leather. I've always loved them, and probably always will. I'm also a fan of the 5L cars, and the thirdgen F-bodies of the day (I own a thirdgen Camaro too).
I really can't wait to get it.:)
2ndPath
Sep 1, 12:56 PM
It would be cool to have the Imac 23" with a 23" Cinema display next to it.
I think the iMac and the ACD just look too different due to the material, the "chin", the color and shape. Probably even an additional base would be necessary to at least get them to the same hight.
I think the iMac and the ACD just look too different due to the material, the "chin", the color and shape. Probably even an additional base would be necessary to at least get them to the same hight.
kiljoy616
Mar 22, 03:58 PM
Rather see an ipad with that size now that be something sweet. :)
Zeppelin Air and ipad 2 will surely rock with that kind of size HD. :D
Zeppelin Air and ipad 2 will surely rock with that kind of size HD. :D
MShock
May 2, 05:40 PM
Interesting� after the new GNOME 3.0 release, I'm convinced we will move farther way from the typical menu layout to a more minimalist, more web interactive interface. iOS is probably the closest to that, but I see windows looking more like FireFox 4 for Windows with the Firefox pop down menu and elimination of File, Edit, View etc. at the top. Mac OS 10.8 or 11 will probably follow suit, except have more webOS like functionality, and will converge several apps into 1�
jsm4182
Feb 27, 02:39 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292/5482714927_dde07ab2f6.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsm382/5482714927/)
I thought its about time I post my home setup.
Just bought the 27" Cinema Display, its connected to my 13"MBP running in clamshell,sitting on the shelf on a cooling pad.
Apple bluetooth keyboard, Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse. Have 2 Apple battery chargers(not pictured) to power those 3.
1TB Seagate GoFlex with firewire 800 upgrade kit for backups using Carbon Copy Cloner sitting behind the lamp.
Creative Xmod that I use with my Bose OE headphones(headphones not pictured).
Also not pictured is my table at the other end of that wall with a Brother laser printer and Crosley radio, both hooked up to an Airport Express. And in a cabinet in another room I have an Airport Extreme with 2 Seagate 1TB drives for Time Machine and old file storage.
I thought its about time I post my home setup.
Just bought the 27" Cinema Display, its connected to my 13"MBP running in clamshell,sitting on the shelf on a cooling pad.
Apple bluetooth keyboard, Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse. Have 2 Apple battery chargers(not pictured) to power those 3.
1TB Seagate GoFlex with firewire 800 upgrade kit for backups using Carbon Copy Cloner sitting behind the lamp.
Creative Xmod that I use with my Bose OE headphones(headphones not pictured).
Also not pictured is my table at the other end of that wall with a Brother laser printer and Crosley radio, both hooked up to an Airport Express. And in a cabinet in another room I have an Airport Extreme with 2 Seagate 1TB drives for Time Machine and old file storage.
rockstarjoe
Jul 18, 02:31 PM
Why not offer both a subscription and an a-la-carte system? The rental movies could be cheaper, lesser quality and last for only a certain amount of plays/days while the ones you buy to own can be of higher quality, more expensive and you get to keep it.
I think you are on to something here. I believe it will work like this:
!) Rent a movie from the ITMS and it will download (not stream) to your computer. It will be in a less than DVD quality format, most likely in whatever format plays on 6G ipod. Let's face it, the 6G ipod and the iTunes Movie service will both be announced at the same time, and that time is not WWDC. The movie sales will drive 6G ipod sales, therefore they must play on 6G ipods, therefore they will not be DVD quality.
2) Movies will have a limited number of plays, rather than a limited number of time to view. Or, alternately, you will pay-per-view (literally).
3) The movie rentals will be cheap (under $5). If you like the movie you will have the option to buy the DVD. Buying the DVD through iTMS will "unlock" the rented copy of the movie on your hardrive, allowing you to own it forever and also to burn it to DVD if you choose (although, again, it will be in less than DVD quality). The real copy of the DVD will be full price plus shipping and the hard copy of the DVD will arrive in the mail a few days later. It will be the same as the retail copy.
This means money for Apple from movie rentals, plus money for Apple from 6G ipod sales (and perhaps Mac Minis if Frontrow gets added in to this), plus money for the BIG STUDIOS for the rentals AND the DVD sales.
It is a win-win-win for the consumer, Apple, and the movie studios... thus I think this is the only way it will happen. What do you guys think? :)
I think you are on to something here. I believe it will work like this:
!) Rent a movie from the ITMS and it will download (not stream) to your computer. It will be in a less than DVD quality format, most likely in whatever format plays on 6G ipod. Let's face it, the 6G ipod and the iTunes Movie service will both be announced at the same time, and that time is not WWDC. The movie sales will drive 6G ipod sales, therefore they must play on 6G ipods, therefore they will not be DVD quality.
2) Movies will have a limited number of plays, rather than a limited number of time to view. Or, alternately, you will pay-per-view (literally).
3) The movie rentals will be cheap (under $5). If you like the movie you will have the option to buy the DVD. Buying the DVD through iTMS will "unlock" the rented copy of the movie on your hardrive, allowing you to own it forever and also to burn it to DVD if you choose (although, again, it will be in less than DVD quality). The real copy of the DVD will be full price plus shipping and the hard copy of the DVD will arrive in the mail a few days later. It will be the same as the retail copy.
This means money for Apple from movie rentals, plus money for Apple from 6G ipod sales (and perhaps Mac Minis if Frontrow gets added in to this), plus money for the BIG STUDIOS for the rentals AND the DVD sales.
It is a win-win-win for the consumer, Apple, and the movie studios... thus I think this is the only way it will happen. What do you guys think? :)
moobookpro
Oct 23, 09:24 PM
hardly.
i'm trying to put all of this core 2 duo hype into perspective. there have been rumors about new pro's for the last 2 months. at this rate, no one will ever purchase a new mac notebook.
prove to me how a core 2 duo chip will make my EVERYDAY computing that more productive compared to a core duo.
I stand by my point that you will be only shaving seconds of waiting for your stuff to run. a real wank...
if you are gonna wait - macworld 07 will be the big update.
aussie_geek
I'll grant you some slack on a lot of the points you've made, but I simply can't sit here and read your smug comments about people waiting for the C2D without pointing out at least one thing you are missing. Just exactly how do you expect your Core Duo MBP to support 64-bit instructions when Leopard comes out? Oh, that's right. It won't. You're severely misguided if you think that won't make a difference.
i'm trying to put all of this core 2 duo hype into perspective. there have been rumors about new pro's for the last 2 months. at this rate, no one will ever purchase a new mac notebook.
prove to me how a core 2 duo chip will make my EVERYDAY computing that more productive compared to a core duo.
I stand by my point that you will be only shaving seconds of waiting for your stuff to run. a real wank...
if you are gonna wait - macworld 07 will be the big update.
aussie_geek
I'll grant you some slack on a lot of the points you've made, but I simply can't sit here and read your smug comments about people waiting for the C2D without pointing out at least one thing you are missing. Just exactly how do you expect your Core Duo MBP to support 64-bit instructions when Leopard comes out? Oh, that's right. It won't. You're severely misguided if you think that won't make a difference.
gorgeousninja
Apr 3, 08:18 AM
...but all the Apple apologists...so quick to jump to Apple's defense...say that there is no such problem. :D
You are dead on correct. Many people do not want to endure the wait for a new one if they return it...Many are waiting to see if Apple can resolve the issue in a future production batch. What good is exchanging if the new one is going to have the same, or worse, problem
I love Apple products but I am always entertained by the rabid zeal of the delusional Apple apologists who insist the company can do no wrong...OR...they simply ignore the common, and obvious, flaws in the Apple product they buy, trying to convince themselves that they have the only "good" one...which on some subconscious level they need to tell themselves so they can believe they are "special" somehow.
Last year during those frenzied few weeks of the iPhone4 'Antena-gate' there were literally hundreds of people like you saying that the iPhone was flawed, and that Apple were about to collapse.
The thing was, like you, the majority of posters didn't even have the product that they were moaning about, but were instead just regurgitating posts and working themselves into an unjustifiable rage.
So, until we hear from people that not only have experienced problems but also have not had Apple do something about it, then your comments will continue to be irritatingly meaningless.
You are dead on correct. Many people do not want to endure the wait for a new one if they return it...Many are waiting to see if Apple can resolve the issue in a future production batch. What good is exchanging if the new one is going to have the same, or worse, problem
I love Apple products but I am always entertained by the rabid zeal of the delusional Apple apologists who insist the company can do no wrong...OR...they simply ignore the common, and obvious, flaws in the Apple product they buy, trying to convince themselves that they have the only "good" one...which on some subconscious level they need to tell themselves so they can believe they are "special" somehow.
Last year during those frenzied few weeks of the iPhone4 'Antena-gate' there were literally hundreds of people like you saying that the iPhone was flawed, and that Apple were about to collapse.
The thing was, like you, the majority of posters didn't even have the product that they were moaning about, but were instead just regurgitating posts and working themselves into an unjustifiable rage.
So, until we hear from people that not only have experienced problems but also have not had Apple do something about it, then your comments will continue to be irritatingly meaningless.
raymondso
Oct 23, 07:44 AM
Hoping not only MBP, but also MP.
I've been waiting too long with my money burning my pocket :(
update: sorry, should be MB instead of MP, typing mistake
I've been waiting too long with my money burning my pocket :(
update: sorry, should be MB instead of MP, typing mistake
dagamer34
Mar 24, 01:06 PM
Would definitely be great if they would just support off-the-shelf graphics cards. I'd be a little surprised, but I've given up saying that Apple will or won't do something just because of their prior decisions.
jW
Apple writes all the drivers for the cards. It supports, so that will probably never happen.
jW
Apple writes all the drivers for the cards. It supports, so that will probably never happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment