AhmedFaisal
Mar 4, 10:12 PM
Ironic that a western country with one of the highest levels of unionization, including public sector unions, and all the evil evil socialized stuff such as pensions, healthcare etc. has the highest growth rate, best unemployment rate and most balanced budget. Germany.
Kinda defeats your argument, fivepoint. Also, considering the level of unionization, Germany has in percentage points double the industrial production jobs that the US does. And all these companies are world leaders in their segments.
Americans are diluded if they think ultracon vulture capitalism will save them, it is exactly what got them into this mess to begin with.
Cheers,
Ahmed
Kinda defeats your argument, fivepoint. Also, considering the level of unionization, Germany has in percentage points double the industrial production jobs that the US does. And all these companies are world leaders in their segments.
Americans are diluded if they think ultracon vulture capitalism will save them, it is exactly what got them into this mess to begin with.
Cheers,
Ahmed
ECUpirate44
May 2, 09:42 AM
y u no like bugfixes?
Do we even know if this update is also for the Verizon iPhone or just the AT&T? And no, bug fixes cover up my jailbreak.
Do we even know if this update is also for the Verizon iPhone or just the AT&T? And no, bug fixes cover up my jailbreak.
macingman
Mar 17, 01:24 AM
If i was you I'd donate the extra few hundred to a charity, perhaps the Japanese earthquake appeal. Just some friendly advise, it is always good to help people.
Dunepilot
Nov 17, 08:09 AM
It's the Brit pronunciation - like that extra syllable that they throw into aluminum...
Or rather that we haven't removed a letter 'i' from that word.
http://www.world-aluminium.org/history/language.html
Or rather that we haven't removed a letter 'i' from that word.
http://www.world-aluminium.org/history/language.html
more...
lordonuthin
Apr 30, 09:06 PM
you're really getting one?! if so, you'll have to start a new thread about it, and give up updates!
Got it! I had just enough time to put it in a case but not enough to boot it up before work :( The heat sink that Intel give you is BIG, but would probably fit in a 3u. Maybe. My case is 4u so lots of room. I put 12 gigs of ram it it too, just need a gpu now (from one of the other machines for now). I think I will see what is on Ebay or craig's list.
Got it! I had just enough time to put it in a case but not enough to boot it up before work :( The heat sink that Intel give you is BIG, but would probably fit in a 3u. Maybe. My case is 4u so lots of room. I put 12 gigs of ram it it too, just need a gpu now (from one of the other machines for now). I think I will see what is on Ebay or craig's list.
Leeartlee
Apr 25, 12:07 PM
he's not the only one still boasting a first-gen iPhone! ;)
I'm still lovin' it!
That's because :apple: didn't kill your phone with an iOS update
I'm still lovin' it!
That's because :apple: didn't kill your phone with an iOS update
more...
InsanelyApple
Apr 15, 04:51 PM
It's more.... FABULOUS!
:)
Bravo, good sir/madam. Bravo. You made me laugh. *applause*
:)
Bravo, good sir/madam. Bravo. You made me laugh. *applause*
ehoui
May 4, 04:00 PM
Why is someone bothered if the question itself does no harm. Grow up or change doctors if you don't like to be asked questions. This law is about as anti-libertarian and useless government intrusion as it gets.
more...
skoker
Jan 9, 04:51 PM
Awesome Running smooth. We're the first in line so its smooth. Keynote coverage and ***removed**** release.
THANK YOU!
You must be either excited or ignorant, spoiler ;)
THANK YOU!
You must be either excited or ignorant, spoiler ;)
gekko513
Nov 16, 04:40 PM
If AMD has cheaper chips than Intel that also fully support Rosetta and all that (SSE3), then I may see it happening.
more...
tveric
Oct 3, 01:51 AM
All this talk is great. Only on macrumors can you see so many people ignoring the 800 lb. gorilla in the room - namely, the fact that a huge majority of users still get their music from sources other than buying it online. 83% don't buy music at least once a month from the itms. 5% of the music on ipods is from the store.
I know it's the in thing in these forums to profess love for the itms, and curse its competitors and would-be hackers, but the fact is, the store exists for one reason - to give Apple a legitimate entity to point to when the RIAA accuses it of producing devices that encourage piracy - namely, iPods. Don't get me wrong - I love that they did that, and the success of the store ensures I will be able to buy DRM-free mp3 players for quite some time.
But don't kid yourself into thinking that reverse-engineering of the Fairplay tech will make a rip of difference one way or the other. In case you haven't noticed, it's already easy to get DVD-quality movies and TV shows online for free. Yes, yes, I know, that's illegal, and we're all going to get sued by the MPAA and the RIAA and NCAA and AARP. Just let me know when I should actually start worrying about it.
I know it's the in thing in these forums to profess love for the itms, and curse its competitors and would-be hackers, but the fact is, the store exists for one reason - to give Apple a legitimate entity to point to when the RIAA accuses it of producing devices that encourage piracy - namely, iPods. Don't get me wrong - I love that they did that, and the success of the store ensures I will be able to buy DRM-free mp3 players for quite some time.
But don't kid yourself into thinking that reverse-engineering of the Fairplay tech will make a rip of difference one way or the other. In case you haven't noticed, it's already easy to get DVD-quality movies and TV shows online for free. Yes, yes, I know, that's illegal, and we're all going to get sued by the MPAA and the RIAA and NCAA and AARP. Just let me know when I should actually start worrying about it.
notjustjay
Apr 21, 12:02 PM
I think I'd prefer a system where only upvotes ("likes") are allowed (e.g. Engadget). That way you can still see who's got the most positive/popular posts while not opening it up quite so much to abuse or the negative connotations associated with a negative score.
Another forum I visit (RedFlagDeals) has a similar system where people can be "thanked" for particular posts, and then their user profile shows how many times in total people have thanked them. It helps show who is the most helpful or who has a good reputation for providing useful advice.
Another forum I visit (RedFlagDeals) has a similar system where people can be "thanked" for particular posts, and then their user profile shows how many times in total people have thanked them. It helps show who is the most helpful or who has a good reputation for providing useful advice.
more...
Aniej
Jan 5, 03:21 PM
it would be nice if we could also post a countdown ticker as well don't you think? Like the widget for macworld or jsw's madejew post counter?
leetlamer
Apr 29, 04:36 PM
For the love of god get rid of the faux leather.
more...
MonkeyET
Dec 18, 04:08 PM
My question is if AT&T's exclusivity indeed DOESN'T expire until 2012, then what's the deal with the lack of AT&T iPhone commercials on TV these days? There was a time, not so long ago, when it seemd like every other TV commercial was AT&T whoring the iPhone. Now, it seems like I never see iPhone ads on TV and AT&T is touting every other phone EXCEPT the iPhone.
Didn't Apple just release a new commercial in the last few weeks about the longer life of the iPhone 4 battery compared to other smartphones? If not for this commercial, I would have gone alone with your argument.
Didn't Apple just release a new commercial in the last few weeks about the longer life of the iPhone 4 battery compared to other smartphones? If not for this commercial, I would have gone alone with your argument.
Malcster
Sep 12, 04:26 AM
isnt the event being streamed live over to london for the us?
if so i am quietly optimistic about us uk'ers getting a new movie store along with the us. i see no reason to stream it to the uk if the annouced products wont be released here, thats just teasing!
Yup, i dont reckon he'd stream it live to us just to blow us a raspberry, or any other fruit for that matter.
if so i am quietly optimistic about us uk'ers getting a new movie store along with the us. i see no reason to stream it to the uk if the annouced products wont be released here, thats just teasing!
Yup, i dont reckon he'd stream it live to us just to blow us a raspberry, or any other fruit for that matter.
more...
bob67
Sep 12, 07:28 AM
can we confim the what countrys itunes stores are down ?
usa/uk ...
german store is down too
usa/uk ...
german store is down too

dukebound85
Apr 12, 06:24 PM
she is clearly carrying a bomb
Eidorian
Nov 16, 04:22 PM
Maybe the AMD laptops are coming today :eek:
The store is currently down...
http://images.apple.com/r/store/backsoon/title_backsoon1.gifVery interesting! :D
I have a test so tell me what the updates are when I get back. :p
The store is currently down...
http://images.apple.com/r/store/backsoon/title_backsoon1.gifVery interesting! :D
I have a test so tell me what the updates are when I get back. :p
maflynn
Apr 12, 07:53 AM
No need to argue or try to change his mind. When someone is very close minded there is no reasoning.
Agreed.
There are some really good PC manufacturers and for some windows is a good fit. OSX has some great advantages over windows, but it also has some disadvantages. You pick the computer (and OS) that best fits your needs. I like the idea of building my own computer and I can pick exactly what components I want into the computer - that's another option. You can then run windows or OSX (or even Linux) depending on which you prefer.
The childish fanboyism the posted here does nothing to add to the dialog.
Agreed.
There are some really good PC manufacturers and for some windows is a good fit. OSX has some great advantages over windows, but it also has some disadvantages. You pick the computer (and OS) that best fits your needs. I like the idea of building my own computer and I can pick exactly what components I want into the computer - that's another option. You can then run windows or OSX (or even Linux) depending on which you prefer.
The childish fanboyism the posted here does nothing to add to the dialog.
ViViDboarder
Apr 15, 04:40 PM
I just think it looks like trash! I don't care if it's real, but I hope not. :p
kernkraft
Jul 30, 11:22 AM
I think the Volt is a success in terms of meeting its intended design parameters. However, I think the whole notion of the all-electric car and plug-in hybrids are flawed due to our current infrastructure.
As long as we burn fossil fuels to get the electricity, the electric car is just sweeping the fossil fuel/pollution problem under the rug by putting the "dirty" side of power consumption out of sight (back at the power plant). Also, there's no way our current power generation infrastructure could support even a fraction of the population switching to electric cars. California already has rolling blackouts - if people stopped burning gas and switched to electrics, the problem would get drastically worse.
I think electric cars are a dead end for the present...At least until our entire power grid makes large-scale switches to alternative energy, and there is no timeline for that currently. Also, there is currently no guarantee that practical fuel-cell systems will ever be truly affordable or mass-producable. The current offerings are all extremely expensive, proof-of-concept vehicles with short useful lives.
We'd be better off with diesels or diesel hybrids. People don't want to admit it, but those are currently our best options IMO.
I really wish I didn't sound so cynical, but that's the picture as I understand it.
Very valid points! My only point to add would be that BMW already makes diesel cars that use the company's EfficientDynamics technology to regenerate wasted energy. In the end, what might solve our energy crisis is the combination of alternative energy, frugality on the user end and trying to capture and re-use as much energy and energy-intensive (to make) products as possible. To me, there is no great difference between a hybrid and a BMW diesel that stops in stationary traffic. Of course, in city centres, using a purely electric drive helps to keep the air clean, which is something that diesel engines are not good at.
Well, they should research capacitors then, never wear out, and charge veeeeewy quick. Like EEstor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEStor)
Very good point. And not without a bit of irony as Rudolf Diesel patented his engine in the U.S. (608,845), and we don't use it - though that's because of the Oil companies, not the car companies.
I agree we should use the diesel. After the apocalypse, you could make your own fuel from zombie bodies!
Used vegetable oil or quality diesel would be a start...
True on the economies of scale bit - although the batteries are always going to be pricey.
I keep hammering the same point here, but the Volt would see a quite significant fuel economy boost by switching to a diesel engine to charge the batteries and run the motors. Sort it out, US car companies...it's not like we don't sell diesel here.
I heard it that the reason why BMW stopped selling diesel cars in the US was that the engines failed, due to the very poor quality. In Europe, you can get quality fuel, but in the US, diesel is still the fuel of trucks, primarily.
Just one statistics: in continental Europe (not in the UK), new diesel cars have been outselling petrol ones for almost a decade, despite the premium.
That's the great thing about a platform like the Volt, or anything like it: you can easily change whatever gives the electricity. Gas not working right? The American public finally getting their asses out of their collective heads about diesel? Just get one the right size, and hook it up to the generator. It works for trains. Small fusion reactors finally a possibility? Bingo!
If GM hadn't ****ed up when they tried bringing diesel cars to the market, it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. We still have some old M-B diesels kicking around, and probably a good bunch of them run on SVO by now.
Subaru still sells FWD cars, just not in the US or Europe.
You may easily change the source of electricity (actually, you cannot, it mainly comes from coal and oil in the US, I think), but so far, there is no decent technology available to solve the problem of storing electricity. Batteries suck and the Volt still uses ancient batteries that you would find in all sorts of consumer products. That is a car, running on laptop batteries (or AA's, if you prefer).
Why did you burst my bubble of Subarus awesomeness? :(
Don't forget the dealership markup. Some of the automotive blogs have people complaining that the dealerships are adding a $10k markup to the already expensive vehicle.
You shouldn't have any impression about Subarus. They really have the traction of a train (AWD ones, of course - why would you buy anything else?!), but everything else is just midrange quality at best.
I've had a 1998 Impreza estate several years ago and it was OK. Recently, I've had a 2007 Legacy Outback from work. Nice glass on the top and good traction, but I have no intention of trading a BMW or Mercedes for it the next time. The interior is low quality and Subaru has no understanding of fuel efficiency, it seems. OK, it's a 2.5L engine, automatic and AWD, but still... 25 imperial mpg?!
As long as we burn fossil fuels to get the electricity, the electric car is just sweeping the fossil fuel/pollution problem under the rug by putting the "dirty" side of power consumption out of sight (back at the power plant). Also, there's no way our current power generation infrastructure could support even a fraction of the population switching to electric cars. California already has rolling blackouts - if people stopped burning gas and switched to electrics, the problem would get drastically worse.
I think electric cars are a dead end for the present...At least until our entire power grid makes large-scale switches to alternative energy, and there is no timeline for that currently. Also, there is currently no guarantee that practical fuel-cell systems will ever be truly affordable or mass-producable. The current offerings are all extremely expensive, proof-of-concept vehicles with short useful lives.
We'd be better off with diesels or diesel hybrids. People don't want to admit it, but those are currently our best options IMO.
I really wish I didn't sound so cynical, but that's the picture as I understand it.
Very valid points! My only point to add would be that BMW already makes diesel cars that use the company's EfficientDynamics technology to regenerate wasted energy. In the end, what might solve our energy crisis is the combination of alternative energy, frugality on the user end and trying to capture and re-use as much energy and energy-intensive (to make) products as possible. To me, there is no great difference between a hybrid and a BMW diesel that stops in stationary traffic. Of course, in city centres, using a purely electric drive helps to keep the air clean, which is something that diesel engines are not good at.
Well, they should research capacitors then, never wear out, and charge veeeeewy quick. Like EEstor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEStor)
Very good point. And not without a bit of irony as Rudolf Diesel patented his engine in the U.S. (608,845), and we don't use it - though that's because of the Oil companies, not the car companies.
I agree we should use the diesel. After the apocalypse, you could make your own fuel from zombie bodies!
Used vegetable oil or quality diesel would be a start...
True on the economies of scale bit - although the batteries are always going to be pricey.
I keep hammering the same point here, but the Volt would see a quite significant fuel economy boost by switching to a diesel engine to charge the batteries and run the motors. Sort it out, US car companies...it's not like we don't sell diesel here.
I heard it that the reason why BMW stopped selling diesel cars in the US was that the engines failed, due to the very poor quality. In Europe, you can get quality fuel, but in the US, diesel is still the fuel of trucks, primarily.
Just one statistics: in continental Europe (not in the UK), new diesel cars have been outselling petrol ones for almost a decade, despite the premium.
That's the great thing about a platform like the Volt, or anything like it: you can easily change whatever gives the electricity. Gas not working right? The American public finally getting their asses out of their collective heads about diesel? Just get one the right size, and hook it up to the generator. It works for trains. Small fusion reactors finally a possibility? Bingo!
If GM hadn't ****ed up when they tried bringing diesel cars to the market, it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad. We still have some old M-B diesels kicking around, and probably a good bunch of them run on SVO by now.
Subaru still sells FWD cars, just not in the US or Europe.
You may easily change the source of electricity (actually, you cannot, it mainly comes from coal and oil in the US, I think), but so far, there is no decent technology available to solve the problem of storing electricity. Batteries suck and the Volt still uses ancient batteries that you would find in all sorts of consumer products. That is a car, running on laptop batteries (or AA's, if you prefer).
Why did you burst my bubble of Subarus awesomeness? :(
Don't forget the dealership markup. Some of the automotive blogs have people complaining that the dealerships are adding a $10k markup to the already expensive vehicle.
You shouldn't have any impression about Subarus. They really have the traction of a train (AWD ones, of course - why would you buy anything else?!), but everything else is just midrange quality at best.
I've had a 1998 Impreza estate several years ago and it was OK. Recently, I've had a 2007 Legacy Outback from work. Nice glass on the top and good traction, but I have no intention of trading a BMW or Mercedes for it the next time. The interior is low quality and Subaru has no understanding of fuel efficiency, it seems. OK, it's a 2.5L engine, automatic and AWD, but still... 25 imperial mpg?!
nickXedge
Apr 16, 10:55 AM
Seeing as that it doesn't have any place for the antenna (like the black area towards the top of the 3G iPad), i'm very skeptical with this picture.
My thoughts exactly. Aside from this, I enjoy this design, very futuristic.
My thoughts exactly. Aside from this, I enjoy this design, very futuristic.
Weaselboy
Apr 22, 10:04 AM
I do think there should only be "ups", but the icon could be a checkmark. When you click it some subtext would appear below/next to it. Something like "You liked this comment" or "You agree with comment" or "This comment was helpful".
I completely agree with you on this. Posts should be marked if they are helpful etc and just ignored if they are not. The site can still use the data in the same way for whatever site improvements they want later.
Having "downvotes" will I suspect lead to what we see on Reddit comments where any post that does not fall in line with the hivemind gets downvoted. Getting downvoted leads to people getting discouraged and not participating in the discussion IMO. Outright abusive posts can still be reported to the mods.
I completely agree with you on this. Posts should be marked if they are helpful etc and just ignored if they are not. The site can still use the data in the same way for whatever site improvements they want later.
Having "downvotes" will I suspect lead to what we see on Reddit comments where any post that does not fall in line with the hivemind gets downvoted. Getting downvoted leads to people getting discouraged and not participating in the discussion IMO. Outright abusive posts can still be reported to the mods.
No comments:
Post a Comment