Dr.Gargoyle
Aug 29, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking something similar. 3.5x8.5x8.5. Basically a larger MacMini with a 3.5" hard drive, dedicated graphics, and video chipset similar to the Miglia TV Max.
Exactly!!!
I media center like this would sell like crazy... small, simple and elegant. Just imagine how many switchers you would get at the same time.
Exactly!!!
I media center like this would sell like crazy... small, simple and elegant. Just imagine how many switchers you would get at the same time.
budman1961
Nov 27, 07:06 AM
What do you think of this drive?
I have that drive in my mid-2010 MBP 15" 2.66, and I am impressed. 50 second cold boot to Outlook full load. App opening is fast, reopening the same app is almost instantaneous. You will take a slight hit in battery, I think less than 1/2 hour or so, but it was well worth it for me.
Avoid the temptation to restore from a backup (documents only), take the time to reinstall each app, and you will be delighted. I had plenty of time, and did it both ways, restore from time machine, and later app by app. If you have the time, app by app is much better, plus you can really look at what you have installed over time, and purge what you no longer use.
Well worth the $$! :D
I have that drive in my mid-2010 MBP 15" 2.66, and I am impressed. 50 second cold boot to Outlook full load. App opening is fast, reopening the same app is almost instantaneous. You will take a slight hit in battery, I think less than 1/2 hour or so, but it was well worth it for me.
Avoid the temptation to restore from a backup (documents only), take the time to reinstall each app, and you will be delighted. I had plenty of time, and did it both ways, restore from time machine, and later app by app. If you have the time, app by app is much better, plus you can really look at what you have installed over time, and purge what you no longer use.
Well worth the $$! :D
BJonson
Apr 26, 01:02 PM
trademarking app store. How pompous. What's next, trademarking computer store, book store, pet store? LOL.
dethmaShine
May 2, 04:25 PM
They could have simplified the whole process in the following way:

Jaguar XJ13 Race Car Chrome

Jaguar XJ13+Chromeline version

xj13+race+car+chrome+line+

Jaguar+xj13+race+car+chrome+line+edition

x Jaguar+xj13+wallpaper

what car chrome line with

P Jaguar Xj13 Race Car 66

Jaguar XJ13 Chrome Line

xj13+race+car+chrome+line+

Jaguar XJ13 Race Car Chrome

Gion middot; Jaguar

the “Chrome Line” series.

Jaguar XJ13 Chrome Line and Home Racing Suit for FREE! (EU) - Page 2

Re: Jaguar XJ13 Chrome Line

Free Jaguar XJ13 Chrome Line - Page 3 - NextGenUpdate
imac_japan
Apr 15, 07:01 PM
yes, iPod out sold CPU's this quarter... But they still don't make as much money, as they are cheaper. the 807 thousand ipods sold this quarter count for only 15% of Apple's profit, whereas the 779000 (around that) (up 5% from this quarter last year) count for more then 45% of thier profit
45% of their profit ! Its alittle dangerous for Apple to be relying on the Ipod to push sales. Why not sell Macs with ipods ??? eg: Buy an Emac and get an 10gb Ipod for $100 or Buy a G5 Powermac and get a 10gb Ipod for $50 !
That would drive sales up and up.
45% of their profit ! Its alittle dangerous for Apple to be relying on the Ipod to push sales. Why not sell Macs with ipods ??? eg: Buy an Emac and get an 10gb Ipod for $100 or Buy a G5 Powermac and get a 10gb Ipod for $50 !
That would drive sales up and up.
DavidLeblond
Aug 16, 07:34 AM
Compete with Zune? Seriously? Zune is even on Apple's radar?
Let me get this straight, maybe I'm mistaken. Is this the same Zune that was announced that it will "play music! videos! games! ... wait... no, we changed our minds... no games. And videos? Yeah we can't quite get that to work, it won't do that either. But it plays music! And looks like an iPod... except its a tad on the fugly side...."
Please. Apple already has something to compete with this, its called the iPod. Who needs wireless??
Let me get this straight, maybe I'm mistaken. Is this the same Zune that was announced that it will "play music! videos! games! ... wait... no, we changed our minds... no games. And videos? Yeah we can't quite get that to work, it won't do that either. But it plays music! And looks like an iPod... except its a tad on the fugly side...."
Please. Apple already has something to compete with this, its called the iPod. Who needs wireless??
PBF
Apr 1, 03:34 AM
New: Launch Time Machine and watch how the core of the galaxy disperses tiny dust particles. Looks totally awesome and freakishly realistic. :D
DStaal
Sep 7, 11:34 AM
On the rental vs. purchase argument...
I'm not going to touch which one is 'better' for videos at the moment. I have opinions, but nevermind.
Let's work on the technolocial aspects for a moment, shall we?
Rental requires working DRM. Period. Absolutely. Otherwise there is no way for it to be just rental: you have the file, you can watch it whenever.
Purchase doesn't. You get the file, you can use forever, because you own it.
There is no unbreakable DRM scheme. It doesn't exist today, it probably never will. This is because you, the consumer, are required to be able to decrypt the files sometimes but not others. Which means you have all the info needed to decrypt it. Which means, sooner or later, that someone will figure out how to access that info when they want to, not when the software wants to.
So, Apple requiring a purchase model is just recognizing the limitations of the technology. They have nothing they can 'take back' at the end of a rental period, and it is no cheaper (it's actually more expensive) for them to rent something to you.
There is an apparent temporary advantage to the rental model to the movie studios, since they can charge you multiple times for the same movie. It costs Apple just as much to 'rent' you a movie or sell it to you, so Apple has no advantage, and you get the same file either way.
If you don't want to keep it, just throw it out. Same difference. The rest is pricing games.
I'm not going to touch which one is 'better' for videos at the moment. I have opinions, but nevermind.
Let's work on the technolocial aspects for a moment, shall we?
Rental requires working DRM. Period. Absolutely. Otherwise there is no way for it to be just rental: you have the file, you can watch it whenever.
Purchase doesn't. You get the file, you can use forever, because you own it.
There is no unbreakable DRM scheme. It doesn't exist today, it probably never will. This is because you, the consumer, are required to be able to decrypt the files sometimes but not others. Which means you have all the info needed to decrypt it. Which means, sooner or later, that someone will figure out how to access that info when they want to, not when the software wants to.
So, Apple requiring a purchase model is just recognizing the limitations of the technology. They have nothing they can 'take back' at the end of a rental period, and it is no cheaper (it's actually more expensive) for them to rent something to you.
There is an apparent temporary advantage to the rental model to the movie studios, since they can charge you multiple times for the same movie. It costs Apple just as much to 'rent' you a movie or sell it to you, so Apple has no advantage, and you get the same file either way.
If you don't want to keep it, just throw it out. Same difference. The rest is pricing games.
eenu
Jan 1, 05:14 PM
doesn't seem like there is much to get excited about!

princealfie
Dec 6, 01:39 PM
The Zune is a disgraceful joke from M$.....who cares, get over it.
I got over but it's still here.
I got over but it's still here.

lordonuthin
Nov 8, 07:09 PM
bigadv are not available on windows but many are running virtual machines...
Aha! I knew it, those widozers breaking the rulz again!
Aha! I knew it, those widozers breaking the rulz again!
iJohnHenry
Apr 10, 06:49 PM
Coupes are just awkward.
Coupes are for anti-social people. IMNSHO.
And two-seaters?? :eek: Well, let's not go there.
Coupes are for anti-social people. IMNSHO.
And two-seaters?? :eek: Well, let's not go there.
netdog
Aug 25, 09:34 AM
Arent Core 2s being reported in shortage by intel suppliers?
Yeah, coz Apple bought 'em all up to fill them super-secret shipping containers arriving on Sept. 5 full of bitchin' Core 2 iMacs, Minis, MBPs and MBs.
Yeah, coz Apple bought 'em all up to fill them super-secret shipping containers arriving on Sept. 5 full of bitchin' Core 2 iMacs, Minis, MBPs and MBs.
applefied
Sep 8, 12:17 PM
belkin has some, but the order pages just say "coming soon", I don't even think you can pre-order.
http://www.belkin.com/ipod/touch/
Scosche has some pretty cool ones, you can pre-order now, they ship "mid September"
http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/212 (scroll down to see the iPod touch cases)
http://www.belkin.com/ipod/touch/
Scosche has some pretty cool ones, you can pre-order now, they ship "mid September"
http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/212 (scroll down to see the iPod touch cases)
MacSA
Aug 31, 02:24 PM
I really think it's about time the Superdrive came standard on all Apple computers, it 2006 not 1996. Hopefully the MacBook will also get Superdrive in both models.
PBF
Apr 2, 11:40 PM
Actually, I'm talking about JUST the content within the window, and only Safari Fullscreen Mode can do it. I'll post a pic...
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. That's new. By the way, it works from both left and right sides. Neat.
:)
Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying. That's new. By the way, it works from both left and right sides. Neat.
:)
aquajet
Sep 6, 09:54 AM
Is it just me, or does the $599 mini *not* let you configure it with a DVD burner?
You're right and that sucks. :(
You're right and that sucks. :(
sorepheet
Apr 11, 07:31 AM
Currently own a 2007 Toyota Yaris manual transmission and LOVE it! Average 33 MPG, best MPG to date: 46!!!
dernhelm
Nov 29, 07:53 PM
I'm glad that he confirmed this. Otherwise Macworld in January would be memorable for all the wrong reasons.
Mr. Jobs finished his keynote with the startling admission that there is nothing left: "That's all folks! We've got nothing else in development. See you in 2010."
:D
I'm tellin' ya! I'm in the wrong business. Forget all this deadline - get product out carp. Get in to journalism where all you need to do is restate the obvious with a few well-placed typos, and Bob's your uncle.
Ahhh! I'm blind!
:rolleyes:
Mr. Jobs finished his keynote with the startling admission that there is nothing left: "That's all folks! We've got nothing else in development. See you in 2010."
:D
I'm tellin' ya! I'm in the wrong business. Forget all this deadline - get product out carp. Get in to journalism where all you need to do is restate the obvious with a few well-placed typos, and Bob's your uncle.
Ahhh! I'm blind!
:rolleyes:
KnightWRX
Mar 24, 01:36 PM
Unless Apple gets clever and uses ThunderBolt for connecting external graphics cards, after all it is a PCI-E based connector.
That's not clever at all. You'd still be stuck with the Intel GPU on the internal screen.
That's not clever at all. You'd still be stuck with the Intel GPU on the internal screen.
OdduWon
Oct 24, 02:08 AM
it appears you forgot about that light that dims and brightens when the machine sleeps :D
the blue-ray drive will provide that function :p
the blue-ray drive will provide that function :p
iMikeT
Sep 6, 07:45 PM
I have the feeling that movie distribution is going to be a tougher obstacle than music.
It's too bad that these Hollywood execs will not let Apple handle how movies will be distributed.
It's too bad that these Hollywood execs will not let Apple handle how movies will be distributed.
whooleytoo
Jul 18, 06:41 AM
OK, I'm just going to do the maths...
Let's see, divide by 1024.....carry the one....add 6...average speed of an unladen swallow...take the inverse and...
The answer is: Very BIG!!
:p
With those math skills let me guess.. you work for NASA? Or British rail? Or counting votes in US elections? (Or in the Irish government.. "one for you, two for me, one for you.." ;) )
How big are the music videos? I can't download them, so I can't determine the size, but if you knew the size of a music video, and you know its duration is roughly 5 minutes, you can extrapolate from that the approximate size of a 1:30 movie (i.e. multiply file size by 18). Multiply by 8 to convert to bits, then if you have (say) a 1Mbps connection, the math is easy peasy.
Let's see, divide by 1024.....carry the one....add 6...average speed of an unladen swallow...take the inverse and...
The answer is: Very BIG!!
:p
With those math skills let me guess.. you work for NASA? Or British rail? Or counting votes in US elections? (Or in the Irish government.. "one for you, two for me, one for you.." ;) )
How big are the music videos? I can't download them, so I can't determine the size, but if you knew the size of a music video, and you know its duration is roughly 5 minutes, you can extrapolate from that the approximate size of a 1:30 movie (i.e. multiply file size by 18). Multiply by 8 to convert to bits, then if you have (say) a 1Mbps connection, the math is easy peasy.
SockRolid
Jun 22, 01:17 PM
From Wikipedia on "touch screens" -
'The proposition is that human arm held in an unsupported horizontal position rapidly becomes fatigued and painful, the so-called "gorilla arm". It is often cited as a prima facie example of what not to do in ergonomics.'
It doesn't really matter whether a touch-screen iMac runs Mac OS X or iOS. It will be uncomfortable to use for more than a few minutes. Unless the screen is more horizontal than vertical. And just look how well that worked out for Microsoft Surface (aka Big-Ass Table.)
So I'm not sure exactly how beneficial a touch-screen iMac would be for Apple or its developers or its users. If it runs iOS, would there be yet another class of apps in the App Store? For full-screen iMac apps? And if it runs Mac OS X, wouldn't it be better to simply replace the Magic Mouse with the Magic Trackpad? (And keep the non-touch screen?)
If anything, I see a convergence of the user experience of Apple's MacBooks and desktop Macs. The keyboards are already virtually identical. Maybe the Magic Mouse was just an interim step toward the Magic Trackpad...
'The proposition is that human arm held in an unsupported horizontal position rapidly becomes fatigued and painful, the so-called "gorilla arm". It is often cited as a prima facie example of what not to do in ergonomics.'
It doesn't really matter whether a touch-screen iMac runs Mac OS X or iOS. It will be uncomfortable to use for more than a few minutes. Unless the screen is more horizontal than vertical. And just look how well that worked out for Microsoft Surface (aka Big-Ass Table.)
So I'm not sure exactly how beneficial a touch-screen iMac would be for Apple or its developers or its users. If it runs iOS, would there be yet another class of apps in the App Store? For full-screen iMac apps? And if it runs Mac OS X, wouldn't it be better to simply replace the Magic Mouse with the Magic Trackpad? (And keep the non-touch screen?)
If anything, I see a convergence of the user experience of Apple's MacBooks and desktop Macs. The keyboards are already virtually identical. Maybe the Magic Mouse was just an interim step toward the Magic Trackpad...
No comments:
Post a Comment