JDMFSeanP
Jan 2, 05:10 PM
http://i.min.us/idSwVK.png
Hybrid hunting in the 240 on the mountain roads :]
Hybrid hunting in the 240 on the mountain roads :]
tychay
Nov 28, 08:09 PM
I have no idea where you got that one from. The original Xbox never made a profit. Microsoft is deliberately selling the Xbox 360 at a loss to capture marketshare. However, the PS3 and Ninetindo Wii are selling like hotcakes, are latest big things, and have the buzz. The best laid plans ...
I think the first statement is correct or close to it. They may have had a single profitable quarter when Halo 2 was released. I'm not sure because they bury games in a Microsoft Entertainment and Devices Division. Which includes their smartphone stuff (now that it has stopped bleeding money) and their profitable and acclaimed mice, keyboards, and other stuff (all manufactured by other companies, sort of like Dell, but with a nicer design).
The second part I believe is now wrong. I think the XBox 360 is no longer a loss lead, though that might change as there is some speculation that they will be dropping the price to undercut Sony soon. I believe the fact that it is no longer a loss lead is causing a confounding with the "360 is profitable" commentaries here.
Another commenter mentioned how smart it was was the XBox had a hard drive on it. I’d say if it is so smart why did Microsoft remove it in the base model 360? I’ll point out that this happened because the price of hard drives do not get any cheaper! In fact the price of commodity hardware design doesn’t get any cheaper! Huh? Hard drives get bigger, not cheaper. Processors and chips get more powerful, not cheaper.
What went on is that successive iterations of the Playstation and Playstation 2 would allow Sony to combine chips to reduce the price (and make smaller PSOne and slim-cased Playstation 2). This outlet wasn't available to Microsoft because of their design which is why the XBox was a losing money for it's entire run and Sony played games by dropping their price before it ever turned a profit.
Those two things are "of a piece". While commodity hardware was an interesting idea, it was a failure. Which is why the XBox 360 is not built from commodity PC hardware. The hard drives are a necessary evil of the "Live" strategy so they're left in as an option and bundled with the Playstation 3. That's why these 6G consoles are expensive and not dropping in price fast.
Right now all this is moot since the thing to watch is the Sony gamble on a blue laser. Obviously it will get cheaper fast, but the question is how fast and how cheap? The horrible yields on the Cell processor isn't helping things.
Currently, the XBox 360 has sold very consistently at around 1.5 million units a quarter. The XMas quarter last year had supply issues and only sold .9 million units. That's hardly dominating. In fact, I think the Playstation 2 outsold the 360 in each of those quarters even though the device is six years old. Let's put some numbers here. Last year over 100 million Playstation 2’s had been sold, six months ago, they were selling 380k/month. The XBox 360 sold 6 million units since it's introduction over a year ago, six months ago they were selling 300k/month, they had fixed the channel problems that plagued the release.
Consider this: Nintendo sold 600,000 Wiis in the last eight days. Given the scarcity of the Playstation 3 and the popularity and addictiveness of WiiSports and Zelda, they should easily crush that .9 million opening quarter of the 360. And consider this: each unit at a profit with a number of titles putting money directly in Nintendo's pocket.
I'm not claiming that the Wii will beat the 360. I'm just pointing out that according to sales numbers, the 360 is no iPod, is not trending to an iPod, will never be an iPod. The iPod sits on 75% market share. The closest thing to an iPod in the entertainment market is the Playstation 2.
Which is a big distraction from the point. And what is the point? That the XBox is a bad analogy. It is best to consider their Windows CE->Smartphone Microsoft play to see that the Zune is a bad idea. How many years and failed ideas have there been (Windows CE, Windows Mobile, PocketPC, etc. etc.)? How many billions sunk (some years more than the entire capitalization of the PDA market)? How much marketshare? 6% of smartphones, 60% of the dead-end PDA market, and most of the dead ATM teller market (because IBM did a phased pull out, not because Microsoft "won"). And even those markets are being eaten by Linux faster than Windows.
The only thing we can learn from the XBox and Microsoft is that Microsoft pees on their partners (NVidia) at the earliest opportunity. But we already knew that as soon as the Zune didn't support Plays For Sure.
I think the first statement is correct or close to it. They may have had a single profitable quarter when Halo 2 was released. I'm not sure because they bury games in a Microsoft Entertainment and Devices Division. Which includes their smartphone stuff (now that it has stopped bleeding money) and their profitable and acclaimed mice, keyboards, and other stuff (all manufactured by other companies, sort of like Dell, but with a nicer design).
The second part I believe is now wrong. I think the XBox 360 is no longer a loss lead, though that might change as there is some speculation that they will be dropping the price to undercut Sony soon. I believe the fact that it is no longer a loss lead is causing a confounding with the "360 is profitable" commentaries here.
Another commenter mentioned how smart it was was the XBox had a hard drive on it. I’d say if it is so smart why did Microsoft remove it in the base model 360? I’ll point out that this happened because the price of hard drives do not get any cheaper! In fact the price of commodity hardware design doesn’t get any cheaper! Huh? Hard drives get bigger, not cheaper. Processors and chips get more powerful, not cheaper.
What went on is that successive iterations of the Playstation and Playstation 2 would allow Sony to combine chips to reduce the price (and make smaller PSOne and slim-cased Playstation 2). This outlet wasn't available to Microsoft because of their design which is why the XBox was a losing money for it's entire run and Sony played games by dropping their price before it ever turned a profit.
Those two things are "of a piece". While commodity hardware was an interesting idea, it was a failure. Which is why the XBox 360 is not built from commodity PC hardware. The hard drives are a necessary evil of the "Live" strategy so they're left in as an option and bundled with the Playstation 3. That's why these 6G consoles are expensive and not dropping in price fast.
Right now all this is moot since the thing to watch is the Sony gamble on a blue laser. Obviously it will get cheaper fast, but the question is how fast and how cheap? The horrible yields on the Cell processor isn't helping things.
Currently, the XBox 360 has sold very consistently at around 1.5 million units a quarter. The XMas quarter last year had supply issues and only sold .9 million units. That's hardly dominating. In fact, I think the Playstation 2 outsold the 360 in each of those quarters even though the device is six years old. Let's put some numbers here. Last year over 100 million Playstation 2’s had been sold, six months ago, they were selling 380k/month. The XBox 360 sold 6 million units since it's introduction over a year ago, six months ago they were selling 300k/month, they had fixed the channel problems that plagued the release.
Consider this: Nintendo sold 600,000 Wiis in the last eight days. Given the scarcity of the Playstation 3 and the popularity and addictiveness of WiiSports and Zelda, they should easily crush that .9 million opening quarter of the 360. And consider this: each unit at a profit with a number of titles putting money directly in Nintendo's pocket.
I'm not claiming that the Wii will beat the 360. I'm just pointing out that according to sales numbers, the 360 is no iPod, is not trending to an iPod, will never be an iPod. The iPod sits on 75% market share. The closest thing to an iPod in the entertainment market is the Playstation 2.
Which is a big distraction from the point. And what is the point? That the XBox is a bad analogy. It is best to consider their Windows CE->Smartphone Microsoft play to see that the Zune is a bad idea. How many years and failed ideas have there been (Windows CE, Windows Mobile, PocketPC, etc. etc.)? How many billions sunk (some years more than the entire capitalization of the PDA market)? How much marketshare? 6% of smartphones, 60% of the dead-end PDA market, and most of the dead ATM teller market (because IBM did a phased pull out, not because Microsoft "won"). And even those markets are being eaten by Linux faster than Windows.
The only thing we can learn from the XBox and Microsoft is that Microsoft pees on their partners (NVidia) at the earliest opportunity. But we already knew that as soon as the Zune didn't support Plays For Sure.
Mal
Mar 24, 01:02 PM
Would definitely be great if they would just support off-the-shelf graphics cards. I'd be a little surprised, but I've given up saying that Apple will or won't do something just because of their prior decisions.
jW
jW
NAG
Jan 12, 05:38 PM
I'm just going to continue to play dense because.
Anyway, I wonder if Time Canada is going to blow the story again.
Anyway, I wonder if Time Canada is going to blow the story again.
Eidorian
Aug 26, 11:00 AM
Watch the WWDC keynote and note that the xserves now use Woodcrest which has a higher TDP than Conroe (95W compared to 65W). Also note what they say about Woodcrest having a better thermal environment that the G5's they were using before which were the same G5's (non-dual core) that the iMac used I believe. Conroe has better thermal characteristics than G5's, the Mac Pro and xserve prove that.
iMac will get Conroe. 2.4Ghz and 2.66Ghz. Conroe is the best value for performance processor that Intel are offering, so they need to use it SOMEWHERE in their lineup.Err...I was defending that Conroe could fit in the iMac. Especially having the G5 in there. (Woodcrest's TDP is 85W by the way...)
And look here (http://spamreaper.org/frankie/macintel.html)
iMac will get Conroe. 2.4Ghz and 2.66Ghz. Conroe is the best value for performance processor that Intel are offering, so they need to use it SOMEWHERE in their lineup.Err...I was defending that Conroe could fit in the iMac. Especially having the G5 in there. (Woodcrest's TDP is 85W by the way...)
And look here (http://spamreaper.org/frankie/macintel.html)
know-it-all5
Jul 18, 10:18 AM
I'm sufficiently excited. Here's hoping for higher quality (than the current TV shows).
if there will be a true video ipod coming out in the nearer future apple is forced to offer better quality. Bigger screen=Better Quality
Apple offers these shows etc. for the ipod (the availability to use these on our computer is a freebie) thus the current quality is fine for the current ipod's screen.
I have a feeling any new videos being added to the store around the new ipod release will also likely be widescreen. This will be needed!!!
if there will be a true video ipod coming out in the nearer future apple is forced to offer better quality. Bigger screen=Better Quality
Apple offers these shows etc. for the ipod (the availability to use these on our computer is a freebie) thus the current quality is fine for the current ipod's screen.
I have a feeling any new videos being added to the store around the new ipod release will also likely be widescreen. This will be needed!!!
NAG
Jan 12, 05:11 PM
I just want them to get the thickness and weight down.
Killyp
Aug 24, 06:44 PM
...I will admit that stranger things have happened.
Like this?
http://static.flickr.com/20/73218496_12cd47ab24.jpg
gawd i hope i don't get banned for that!
Like this?
http://static.flickr.com/20/73218496_12cd47ab24.jpg
gawd i hope i don't get banned for that!
Link2999
Sep 18, 04:16 PM
Waiting for the iClear: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Griffin+Technology+-+iClear+Case+with+Arm+Band+for+4th-Generation+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B+touch/1207257.p?id=1218234048743&skuId=1207257&st=griffin%20iclear&cp=1&lp=5
Love the iClear, been using it on my 1st Gen since I bought it. The 2 Piece Design offers the most protection of any case I've seen.
Love the iClear, been using it on my 1st Gen since I bought it. The 2 Piece Design offers the most protection of any case I've seen.
Uragon
Apr 21, 12:03 PM
no, all politicians wave the "privacy" banner... they don't want their employers (i.e. you and me) to know where they've been.
+1...., the best
+1...., the best
Tmelon
Apr 9, 11:42 PM
WOW!!! iCal looks *********g UGLY... I hope they add an option to use a standard gray toolbar area... That seems so unlike apple to do something like that.
Heh.. What if they give everything that look :). I think I would switch to windows if they did that..
To be honest I'm starting to like the new look. It gives some variety to the normal old gray windows. I think they'll change it up a little after all of these complaints but I doubt it'll go back to grey.
Heh.. What if they give everything that look :). I think I would switch to windows if they did that..
To be honest I'm starting to like the new look. It gives some variety to the normal old gray windows. I think they'll change it up a little after all of these complaints but I doubt it'll go back to grey.
Sydde
Mar 19, 05:50 PM
IMO, the Fart and Porn/ Pin Up apps are more distasteful and offensive than the App you've mentioned.
More? No. This app says that homosexuals need help, a bit like alcoholics. That is far more offensive than farts or t&m.
More? No. This app says that homosexuals need help, a bit like alcoholics. That is far more offensive than farts or t&m.
Prom1
Mar 1, 12:48 AM
Don't quote all the pictures! haha.
I played tenor too! :)
Edited out all but one picture; hehe sorry about that.
wicked you play Sax too?! I haven't played for years but i promised to buy an Alto this year - come Hell or High water!
A small part of me has fallen asleep since I last played.
I played tenor too! :)
Edited out all but one picture; hehe sorry about that.
wicked you play Sax too?! I haven't played for years but i promised to buy an Alto this year - come Hell or High water!
A small part of me has fallen asleep since I last played.
NAG
Jan 12, 06:24 PM
Thing is it would have to be cheap enough for a hospital to give out to all the doctors and such (I think we're using Epic now or something).
alec
Jul 18, 10:33 AM
I think everyone has touched on an important issue with this: it is not a good that is going to be embraced by the public, at least anytime soon. Who really wants to rent a movie for a few dollars so they can watch it on their iPod (and can iPods even last through a whole movie??). Anyway, I'm not impressed and this smells of a 'too soon' move.
Gem�tlichkeit
Apr 26, 02:11 PM
...Apple is turning into a company of douche bags.
So apple should just do nothing.
So apple should just do nothing.
MacLuvin
Apr 6, 07:56 AM
Ok I'm using a Late 2008 MBP model, 2.4 ghz IC2D , 4gig ram. But Launchpad is lagging for me big time, when I try to scroll thru my apps for instance. and when i switch windows its not always flowing. Now I know LION still has a few miles to go before it works perfectly, however I wanna know if its the same for other developers with later MBP's or does it flow perfectly?
iris_failsafe
Jul 13, 11:10 PM
I think is too early for either HDDVD or Blue-Ray, maybe have it as a built to order option?
It makes more sense than to put it as standard equipment
It makes more sense than to put it as standard equipment
firestarter
Mar 20, 06:03 PM
And like I said, they dont have to be worried because homeopathy is not directly harmful to people. Ex-gay therapy is. This is not just an app based on christianity. Exodus International is an organization dedicated specifically to ex-gay therapy.
Maybe Apple should ban all religious apps.
In a way, religion is very like homeopathy, since it pretends that something non-existant has the ability to cure/help/heal etc.
Like homeopathy, religion can encourage one to do nothing of value ('let's pray for Japan', 'let's try to cure cancer with just water') rather than something physical which actually has an effect. It could be construed as being dangerous and damaging in that sense.
Maybe Apple should ban all religious apps.
In a way, religion is very like homeopathy, since it pretends that something non-existant has the ability to cure/help/heal etc.
Like homeopathy, religion can encourage one to do nothing of value ('let's pray for Japan', 'let's try to cure cancer with just water') rather than something physical which actually has an effect. It could be construed as being dangerous and damaging in that sense.
lordonuthin
Dec 21, 12:14 AM
Congrats to Lyzardking for 5 million points!
iGav
Mar 9, 02:18 PM
So I don't think they did any modifications to the suspension.
I'd hazard a guess that they probably did� just because of the difference in preference in ride quality, European cars are naturally exceedingly firm� the same cars with sports suspension, excruciatingly so.
The Insignia's not a bad car by any means, the OPC/VXR concept looked particularly mean, especially in wagon form, but the rear of the hatchback looks a little odd to me, fussily unresolved with so many bad lines� but that is probably to be expected given it's World Car origins. It's wheelbase looks far too short as well.
http://www.motorward.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/opel-insignia-opc-sports-tourer-1.jpg
I agree. If you look at "small" cars these days, they really aren't that small. Of course, what made the Mini special was packaging, and I don't think we've seen a revolutionary new "package" since the Mini.
I'd suggest that the A2 was the last truly innovative car with regards to packaging, spaceframe, double-floor (like the A Class, but much better implemented) etc.
Something like the Smart is too compromised in achieving it's small footprint, and the IQ is as conventional as they come. As are cars like the Ka/500, i10 etc.
I think VW was on to something with their up! concept, (rear engined, 2 or 3 cylinder engine (I forget which), and a minimalist cabin) but then they decided the layout was too difficult to make work (read as too expensive, can't be bothered) and it's becoming a conventional FE/FWD hatch� when they could have launched the new people's car for the 21st century, with an innovative drivetrain and modular interior functionality, based on something like an iPad type device (which is what VW's new Hackney Cab concept looks to be implementing).
Chevy definitely has a lot of work to do to establish a brand presence in Europe - especially since Opel already covers so much territory with its lineup. Apart from niche vehicles like the Corvette, there isn't much of "American" Chevy that can make the transition to Europe. And in the long run,
I can't help but think GM would've been better repositioning Opel. They're making unnecessary (not to mention needlessly expensive) work for themselves with Chevy. It's a bit icy out isn't it? Is that the captain at the bar? ;)
Chevy can't rely on rebadged Korean cars.
They can't� especially when rival Korean cars are very, very good indeed, if still a little dull.
Damning with faint praise!
What can I say� it's ingrained. :p
In the context of this thread I am happy to see a Cruze diesel come to the US, and I think the Cruze will be an improvement over previous GM small cars,
It's considered more mid-size here if anything. In Holden form, right up until the C-Pillar it's a fine design, but like a lot of cars today, it's got bum trouble.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/2009-2010_Holden_JG_Cruze_CDX_sedan_02.jpg/800px-2009-2010_Holden_JG_Cruze_CDX_sedan_02.jpg
It is true that their biggest problem is coming up with a reason to buy it over other similarly anonymous cars.
I think that would be my issue, if I were thinking of dropping the �$�� on a new car, I'd be thinking to myself, is a new car so important to me as to stomach the depreciation that drops like an atom-bomb, or do I buy myself a new Golf?
And we never got to see it here.
And is it any wonder that Ford U.S. almost went the way of the muff?
if any car company has shown to have any knowledge about badge engineering/branding it's VW AG
Indeed, this alone would be a thread in itself wouldn't it. :p
believe it or not back in the 70ties Opel actually had a trendy, sporty and young reputation image
That'll be the Manta. :p
Vauxhall have never really had that image. It's no coincidence that in Cockney Rhyming Slang, that Vauxhall rhymes with Dull.
it's not exactly GM alone:
yes VW are really bland looking too, but opposed to many GM vehicles if you take the badge away you would be still able recognize that the vehicle is a VW ...
And you highlight exactly where many/most car manufacturers go wrong when it comes to developing a World Car and why they're seldom truly successful. BMW & Mercedes have been producing World Cars for decades haven't they, some would say successfully so. Why? Because they're completely & unapologetically Germanic.
seriously the new micra is bringing the bland back to the brand ..
True that� it looks older than the car it replaced. :eek:
at least hyundai finally realised that those names they were putting on their models weren't the brightest idea in 95% of all cases
The i10 has gotten rave reviews over here, frequently voted best city-urban-girls car or something� I heard that when a man drives one, his balls shrink and he assumes a pre-pubescent state. ;)
I'd hazard a guess that they probably did� just because of the difference in preference in ride quality, European cars are naturally exceedingly firm� the same cars with sports suspension, excruciatingly so.
The Insignia's not a bad car by any means, the OPC/VXR concept looked particularly mean, especially in wagon form, but the rear of the hatchback looks a little odd to me, fussily unresolved with so many bad lines� but that is probably to be expected given it's World Car origins. It's wheelbase looks far too short as well.
http://www.motorward.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/opel-insignia-opc-sports-tourer-1.jpg
I agree. If you look at "small" cars these days, they really aren't that small. Of course, what made the Mini special was packaging, and I don't think we've seen a revolutionary new "package" since the Mini.
I'd suggest that the A2 was the last truly innovative car with regards to packaging, spaceframe, double-floor (like the A Class, but much better implemented) etc.
Something like the Smart is too compromised in achieving it's small footprint, and the IQ is as conventional as they come. As are cars like the Ka/500, i10 etc.
I think VW was on to something with their up! concept, (rear engined, 2 or 3 cylinder engine (I forget which), and a minimalist cabin) but then they decided the layout was too difficult to make work (read as too expensive, can't be bothered) and it's becoming a conventional FE/FWD hatch� when they could have launched the new people's car for the 21st century, with an innovative drivetrain and modular interior functionality, based on something like an iPad type device (which is what VW's new Hackney Cab concept looks to be implementing).
Chevy definitely has a lot of work to do to establish a brand presence in Europe - especially since Opel already covers so much territory with its lineup. Apart from niche vehicles like the Corvette, there isn't much of "American" Chevy that can make the transition to Europe. And in the long run,
I can't help but think GM would've been better repositioning Opel. They're making unnecessary (not to mention needlessly expensive) work for themselves with Chevy. It's a bit icy out isn't it? Is that the captain at the bar? ;)
Chevy can't rely on rebadged Korean cars.
They can't� especially when rival Korean cars are very, very good indeed, if still a little dull.
Damning with faint praise!
What can I say� it's ingrained. :p
In the context of this thread I am happy to see a Cruze diesel come to the US, and I think the Cruze will be an improvement over previous GM small cars,
It's considered more mid-size here if anything. In Holden form, right up until the C-Pillar it's a fine design, but like a lot of cars today, it's got bum trouble.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/21/2009-2010_Holden_JG_Cruze_CDX_sedan_02.jpg/800px-2009-2010_Holden_JG_Cruze_CDX_sedan_02.jpg
It is true that their biggest problem is coming up with a reason to buy it over other similarly anonymous cars.
I think that would be my issue, if I were thinking of dropping the �$�� on a new car, I'd be thinking to myself, is a new car so important to me as to stomach the depreciation that drops like an atom-bomb, or do I buy myself a new Golf?
And we never got to see it here.
And is it any wonder that Ford U.S. almost went the way of the muff?
if any car company has shown to have any knowledge about badge engineering/branding it's VW AG
Indeed, this alone would be a thread in itself wouldn't it. :p
believe it or not back in the 70ties Opel actually had a trendy, sporty and young reputation image
That'll be the Manta. :p
Vauxhall have never really had that image. It's no coincidence that in Cockney Rhyming Slang, that Vauxhall rhymes with Dull.
it's not exactly GM alone:
yes VW are really bland looking too, but opposed to many GM vehicles if you take the badge away you would be still able recognize that the vehicle is a VW ...
And you highlight exactly where many/most car manufacturers go wrong when it comes to developing a World Car and why they're seldom truly successful. BMW & Mercedes have been producing World Cars for decades haven't they, some would say successfully so. Why? Because they're completely & unapologetically Germanic.
seriously the new micra is bringing the bland back to the brand ..
True that� it looks older than the car it replaced. :eek:
at least hyundai finally realised that those names they were putting on their models weren't the brightest idea in 95% of all cases
The i10 has gotten rave reviews over here, frequently voted best city-urban-girls car or something� I heard that when a man drives one, his balls shrink and he assumes a pre-pubescent state. ;)
BRLawyer
Apr 19, 02:23 PM
I said nothing about wanting to use a slower interface. That would be silly.
Do you think all future USB 3 peripherals will be compatible with TB via an adapter?
That would be great, but why come out with USB 3 on a Mac at all?
Or do you think Apple will skip a USB 3 port altogether?
They will either skip it altogether or perhaps replace all USB 2 ports with USB 3 ones (thus keeping TB as the "advanced" FW equivalent)...
Do you think all future USB 3 peripherals will be compatible with TB via an adapter?
That would be great, but why come out with USB 3 on a Mac at all?
Or do you think Apple will skip a USB 3 port altogether?
They will either skip it altogether or perhaps replace all USB 2 ports with USB 3 ones (thus keeping TB as the "advanced" FW equivalent)...
Mr-Stabby
Apr 12, 09:10 PM
Oh yes :) 64 bit! At last :D
RITZFit
Jan 22, 02:03 PM
it's been gone for a while.
Good news! Atleast your kids can be cool :D
Good news! Atleast your kids can be cool :D
No comments:
Post a Comment