milo
Sep 11, 04:17 PM
At a compression value I would accecpt, files will still be to big for the internet of today / average power of a computer today / the HD's of today.
People keep saying things like this. But look at online movie piracy. It's probably as big now as napster was a few years ago. The pirates have proven that people are interested in getting movies online, and that the technological barriers can be overcome.
Unless you have a progressive scan TV, which propbably means an HDTV, DVD is only 480i, which can be argued to be equivalent to 240p. That way Apple can easily claim their movies to be DVD quality at 320x240.
But would that look as good as DVD on NTSC television? Sure doesn't seem like it with the current downloads.
People keep saying things like this. But look at online movie piracy. It's probably as big now as napster was a few years ago. The pirates have proven that people are interested in getting movies online, and that the technological barriers can be overcome.
Unless you have a progressive scan TV, which propbably means an HDTV, DVD is only 480i, which can be argued to be equivalent to 240p. That way Apple can easily claim their movies to be DVD quality at 320x240.
But would that look as good as DVD on NTSC television? Sure doesn't seem like it with the current downloads.
danielwsmithee
Aug 4, 08:16 AM
It is a new game after PPC->x86.
Apple is now competing directly with all other PC manufacturers. You can easily compare the hardware between different computers.
Hence, I am sure Apple will upgrade all MBs to Merom as soon as they have made sure they will get enough Meroms to satisfy the need of MBP.
Besides since both the iBook and 12'' PB seems to have merged into the 13'' MB, it is vital to keep this line updated for demanding users with a need for a smaller form factor.I think quick updates to the latest technology at a reasonable price is a good strategy for Apple right now. Many computer manufacturers have not switched over to even the Core Duo on their laptops yet, the ones that have charge a premium for them. The same is true for the Core 2 Duo desktops and Woodcrest. There is an 8 month lag in the main manufacturers (Dell, HP, Gateway etc) between the time that a new intel processor is available and they have cleared out their inventory and start offering the newer technology. HP is better then the others. Dell it is almost impossible to find a computer on their website with Core 2 Duo and the ones that are (XPS) can not be configured for anything less the $2500. They really charge a premium for the latest and greatest. Apple could go a long way by keeping their inventory short and getting customers the latest technology quickly.
Apple is now competing directly with all other PC manufacturers. You can easily compare the hardware between different computers.
Hence, I am sure Apple will upgrade all MBs to Merom as soon as they have made sure they will get enough Meroms to satisfy the need of MBP.
Besides since both the iBook and 12'' PB seems to have merged into the 13'' MB, it is vital to keep this line updated for demanding users with a need for a smaller form factor.I think quick updates to the latest technology at a reasonable price is a good strategy for Apple right now. Many computer manufacturers have not switched over to even the Core Duo on their laptops yet, the ones that have charge a premium for them. The same is true for the Core 2 Duo desktops and Woodcrest. There is an 8 month lag in the main manufacturers (Dell, HP, Gateway etc) between the time that a new intel processor is available and they have cleared out their inventory and start offering the newer technology. HP is better then the others. Dell it is almost impossible to find a computer on their website with Core 2 Duo and the ones that are (XPS) can not be configured for anything less the $2500. They really charge a premium for the latest and greatest. Apple could go a long way by keeping their inventory short and getting customers the latest technology quickly.
AvSRoCkCO1067
Jul 21, 02:51 PM
This may be a dumb question, but why would apple just use the new chips in mbp's and not the mb? Dosn't seem to make sense. As soon as core 2 merom comes out every pc notebook will have it. Price wouldn't be an issue cause merom is same price as yonah, correct?
Every PC Notebook? Eesh most of the notebooks my friends aren't purchasing (that aren't Macbooks - which is by far in the majority) have either AMD chips, P4 chips, or Pentium Mobile chips...
Apple has by far adopted Intel's new chips the fastest out of any other computer manufacturer I know - and hopefully they'll continue to do the same as Core 2 Duo chips are unveiled.
Every PC Notebook? Eesh most of the notebooks my friends aren't purchasing (that aren't Macbooks - which is by far in the majority) have either AMD chips, P4 chips, or Pentium Mobile chips...
Apple has by far adopted Intel's new chips the fastest out of any other computer manufacturer I know - and hopefully they'll continue to do the same as Core 2 Duo chips are unveiled.
guzhogi
Aug 7, 06:41 PM
1 GB Sticks are only $125 each from Third Parties. (http://www.oempcworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1.0G-PC2-5300E&Category_Code=240pin)
2x1 = 2GB = $250 vs Apples 4x 512 NOT 6x 512 = + $270
4x1 = 4GB = $500 vs. Apple's $990
I think you really should change your order to base ram and add TWO 1GB sticks for only $250 for a total of 3GB to begin with for less than the cost of TWO from Apple taking up only 4 slots. :)
A good site for RAM is www.dealram.com. A lot (as in most, if not all) of the RAM is generic, but much cheaper than Apple's!
2x1 = 2GB = $250 vs Apples 4x 512 NOT 6x 512 = + $270
4x1 = 4GB = $500 vs. Apple's $990
I think you really should change your order to base ram and add TWO 1GB sticks for only $250 for a total of 3GB to begin with for less than the cost of TWO from Apple taking up only 4 slots. :)
A good site for RAM is www.dealram.com. A lot (as in most, if not all) of the RAM is generic, but much cheaper than Apple's!
goobot
Apr 7, 10:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
iPad 3 to be a small update like iPad 2? I wouldn't doubt it with the lack of competition.
iPad 3 to be a small update like iPad 2? I wouldn't doubt it with the lack of competition.
Gasu E.
Apr 25, 08:25 AM
I'm not impressed if this is where the iMac display is potentially going , the current GPUs can barely drive the resolutions they have now in anything other than simple desktop apps . , can you imagine what video card you would need to drive a game (say portal 2 which has low to modest requirements) at 30fps + on a screen with 3200 or higher resloution ? Well whatever that GPU is , apple will ship with the one released 2 years ago and half the RAM it shipped with on the PC .
<...>
Think I ranted a bit then , sorry :rolleyes:
:) I think you are just seeing advance preparation for something that won't happen for a while; moreover, when it does happen, it will start with smaller screens and work its way up to the larger ones over time. By the time it works up to a 20"+ displays, GPUs will be much more powerful.
<...>
Think I ranted a bit then , sorry :rolleyes:
:) I think you are just seeing advance preparation for something that won't happen for a while; moreover, when it does happen, it will start with smaller screens and work its way up to the larger ones over time. By the time it works up to a 20"+ displays, GPUs will be much more powerful.
coffey7
Jul 21, 09:32 PM
now if apple can build a laptop that won't give me a first degree burn we're in business :cool:
Tell me about it!
Tell me about it!
Seryph
Mar 31, 06:24 AM
Sounds just like some bloke from Apple. Snow Leopard's the last of the true desktop OS's. Lion is the bridge, and whatever follows will either be primarily iOS, or so close it's of little consequence. I'm so glad I hung onto my 2010 MBP.
Let's not forget it was the iPod that saved Apple and marked it's beginning as a gadget & entertaiment company. I had a nasty feeling then it would mark the decline of Apples great computers & here we are. How ironic it is that most people are unaware that a Brit actually invented the iPod and like so many other things, Apple stole the thing and ran with it. True "innovators" at Apple, yeah right.
Please educate me - I am apparently one of the ironically unaware people. Who invented the iPod? Are you talking about MP3 players in general, or specifically the iPod with scroll wheel, white design etc? Or are you just talking about Jonny Ive? I am intrigued by this fact that you are aware of but most other people aren't.
I would also argue that Apple aren't necessarily innovators, but what they do better than anyone else is spot the Next Big Thing and then manage to make it look so good and work so well that it becomes incredibly popular. This was the case with the MP3 player, the smartphone, touchscreens, tablets... and those are just the primary examples.
Let's not forget it was the iPod that saved Apple and marked it's beginning as a gadget & entertaiment company. I had a nasty feeling then it would mark the decline of Apples great computers & here we are. How ironic it is that most people are unaware that a Brit actually invented the iPod and like so many other things, Apple stole the thing and ran with it. True "innovators" at Apple, yeah right.
Please educate me - I am apparently one of the ironically unaware people. Who invented the iPod? Are you talking about MP3 players in general, or specifically the iPod with scroll wheel, white design etc? Or are you just talking about Jonny Ive? I am intrigued by this fact that you are aware of but most other people aren't.
I would also argue that Apple aren't necessarily innovators, but what they do better than anyone else is spot the Next Big Thing and then manage to make it look so good and work so well that it becomes incredibly popular. This was the case with the MP3 player, the smartphone, touchscreens, tablets... and those are just the primary examples.
ergle2
Sep 16, 01:46 AM
Dyslexia at work. Laptop processors are directly soldered to the LB to keep the profile slim, iMacs & minis socketed.
Doh, wrote the exact opposite of what I meant :/
Doh, wrote the exact opposite of what I meant :/
milozauckerman
Aug 7, 09:59 PM
Not everyone is going to use a powerful card for gaming, and I wouldn't want to pay more than I need for my uses.
Uh, that's the point: you shouldn't have to 'pay more' - it should be standard, and shouldn't raise the price-point, if other manufacturers can do it.
I don't get the apologists who defend every questionable component from Apple by saying 'well, I don't want to pay extra in the base price' (for a reasonable amount of RAM or for a decent videocard) - demand more from Apple.
Ask why you can't have a $2500 flagship desktop with a graphics card that didn't cost Apple $40, why Apple can't eat the extra $45 to offer their consumer items with a usable amount of RAM standard.
Uh, that's the point: you shouldn't have to 'pay more' - it should be standard, and shouldn't raise the price-point, if other manufacturers can do it.
I don't get the apologists who defend every questionable component from Apple by saying 'well, I don't want to pay extra in the base price' (for a reasonable amount of RAM or for a decent videocard) - demand more from Apple.
Ask why you can't have a $2500 flagship desktop with a graphics card that didn't cost Apple $40, why Apple can't eat the extra $45 to offer their consumer items with a usable amount of RAM standard.
huskerchad
Mar 28, 12:22 PM
There is a 0% chance that Apple is going to go another year or more without an iPhone release.
FFS if they released an iPhone 4.01 with 2 megs more ram and a .01% faster processor, about 10 million people would line up on launch day for it. They're leaving money on the table if they don't release something. Anything.
FFS if they released an iPhone 4.01 with 2 megs more ram and a .01% faster processor, about 10 million people would line up on launch day for it. They're leaving money on the table if they don't release something. Anything.
Popeye206
Apr 23, 08:45 PM
Depends on who you talk too. OS X presents resolution as just the vertical and horizontal pixel counts, without mention of the PPI. For example, looking at System Preferences > Displays will show resolutions in this format, w/o mention of display size and PPI. The iPhone 4 tech specs seems to do the same thing, where resolution is linked to the pixel count and the PPI is mentioned afterwords.

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer

The 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer

Mitsubishi Lancer 2010

2010 Mitsubishi Lancer
marvel2
Nov 29, 10:18 PM
I can't find the TomTom kit on BLT's site anymore.
deadkennedy
Apr 26, 04:34 PM
I remember the days when fanbois claimed this day will never happen.
Anyway, it will be a tough battle, I'm still not convinced Android is any better than iOS. I think Apple will fall to around 20% for both smartphone and PC market, but will maintain 50% at tablet. This is still a HUGE number for both segments.
Anyway, it will be a tough battle, I'm still not convinced Android is any better than iOS. I think Apple will fall to around 20% for both smartphone and PC market, but will maintain 50% at tablet. This is still a HUGE number for both segments.
ninjadex
Mar 26, 10:10 PM
TechCrunch likely doesn't know jack about dates or new features in iOS 5. Just saying.
iJohnHenry
May 2, 08:11 PM
Don't you guys in the great white north buy milk in bundles of 4 1 liter bags anyway. :p
B
No, we buy them in three 1 & 1/3 litre bags, to total 4 litres. :p
B
No, we buy them in three 1 & 1/3 litre bags, to total 4 litres. :p
MacAddict1978
Apr 25, 10:28 AM
I can't really see any reason for Apple to track people. They are not Google. The author of that email is an idiot. Posts on other sites about the issue from FanDroids have been laughable, as they seem to think Google would never track them. That's kind of the nature of the their business. Google tracks everything you do, and is in the news almost weekly for controversial tracking practices.
Cnet had an interesting article showing how law enforcement has been using this data in the iPhone for over a year, and cites incidents where it's been used in court to place people at the vicinity of crimes and show their movements:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20056344-281.html
I don't think Apple is watching our movements the way that Google does. Google wants to know where you are, where you've been, what sites you surf, what products you look at, what you search for, what color you fence is in the front yard... it helps them serve up ads. If Apple used any data, I think it would be for technical improvements, and when you set up an IOS device it does give you an option to send or not to send data back to Apple for those reasons.
http://cnettv.cnet.com/skynet-here/9742-1_53-50103658.html This was a fun clip picking on Google and comparing them to Skynet.
Cnet had an interesting article showing how law enforcement has been using this data in the iPhone for over a year, and cites incidents where it's been used in court to place people at the vicinity of crimes and show their movements:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20056344-281.html
I don't think Apple is watching our movements the way that Google does. Google wants to know where you are, where you've been, what sites you surf, what products you look at, what you search for, what color you fence is in the front yard... it helps them serve up ads. If Apple used any data, I think it would be for technical improvements, and when you set up an IOS device it does give you an option to send or not to send data back to Apple for those reasons.
http://cnettv.cnet.com/skynet-here/9742-1_53-50103658.html This was a fun clip picking on Google and comparing them to Skynet.
ovrlrd
Mar 30, 07:17 PM
Anyone downloading and installing on an MBA?
Wondering about trim support.
TRIM support was in the previous build as well so there is no reason for it not to be there still unless there was a major bug (doubt it).
Wondering about trim support.
TRIM support was in the previous build as well so there is no reason for it not to be there still unless there was a major bug (doubt it).
alvindarkness
Apr 10, 01:21 PM
Who said that this an equation? What is the variable that is unknown?
2 is still winning!
You don't need a variable for it to be an equation.
Definition of Equation - An equation is a mathematical statement that asserts the equality of two expressions. Equations consist of the expressions that have to be equal on opposite sides of an equal sign.
Definition of Expression - In mathematics, an expression is a finite combination of symbols that are well-formed according to the rules applicable in the context at hand. Symbols can designate values (constants), variables, operations, relations, or can constitute punctuation or other syntactic entities.
2 is still winning!
You don't need a variable for it to be an equation.
Definition of Equation - An equation is a mathematical statement that asserts the equality of two expressions. Equations consist of the expressions that have to be equal on opposite sides of an equal sign.
Definition of Expression - In mathematics, an expression is a finite combination of symbols that are well-formed according to the rules applicable in the context at hand. Symbols can designate values (constants), variables, operations, relations, or can constitute punctuation or other syntactic entities.
LobsterDK
Apr 24, 02:04 AM
I'm not impressed if this is where the iMac display is potentially going , the current GPUs can barely drive the resolutions they have now in anything other than simple desktop apps . , can you imagine what video card you would need to drive a game (say portal 2 which has low to modest requirements) at 30fps + on a screen with 3200 or higher resloution ? Well whatever that GPU is , apple will ship with the one released 2 years ago and half the RAM it shipped with on the PC .
I love the mac OS , I love the mac design , I hate the "last years tech with a shiney shell" we seem to have to put up with , super high res screens and faster I/O ports are all well and good , but put a decent GPU in now the mac is becoming a contender as a home gaming platform .
Think I ranted a bit then , sorry :rolleyes:
Desktop rendering performance at a retina display resolution would not be an issue with any modern Mac that shipped with a retina display. As for games, you do not have to render the game at the native screen resolution. The OS X implementation will almost certainly be the same as the iOS implementation. That is, a doubling of the vertical and horizontal resolution.
A game running on a 3840x2160 retina display can render at 1920x1080. No filtering need be applied by the monitor as it is an exact multiple in each direction. A 1920x1080 output resolution from a game would look exactly the same on a 3840x2160 display as it would on a 1920x1080 display. Every 1 pixel in the rendered image would take up 4 pixels on the higher res display. You can test this out on your Mac now with any game that allows you to select a resolution that is half the vertical/horizontal resolution of your current monitor. That is assuming the display is not stupid enough to filter resolutions that are an even division of it's native resolution. Most won't apply any filtering in those cases.
I love the mac OS , I love the mac design , I hate the "last years tech with a shiney shell" we seem to have to put up with , super high res screens and faster I/O ports are all well and good , but put a decent GPU in now the mac is becoming a contender as a home gaming platform .
Think I ranted a bit then , sorry :rolleyes:
Desktop rendering performance at a retina display resolution would not be an issue with any modern Mac that shipped with a retina display. As for games, you do not have to render the game at the native screen resolution. The OS X implementation will almost certainly be the same as the iOS implementation. That is, a doubling of the vertical and horizontal resolution.
A game running on a 3840x2160 retina display can render at 1920x1080. No filtering need be applied by the monitor as it is an exact multiple in each direction. A 1920x1080 output resolution from a game would look exactly the same on a 3840x2160 display as it would on a 1920x1080 display. Every 1 pixel in the rendered image would take up 4 pixels on the higher res display. You can test this out on your Mac now with any game that allows you to select a resolution that is half the vertical/horizontal resolution of your current monitor. That is assuming the display is not stupid enough to filter resolutions that are an even division of it's native resolution. Most won't apply any filtering in those cases.
robertgenito
Nov 8, 12:09 AM
I can't believe people still use antivirus software :P Now that I think of it, the last time I had antivirus software installed was around 1997. But then I went through puberty and realized the whole computer virus fear is ridiculous. Just because it's called a "virus" doesn't mean it holds the exact definition of a virus.
My solution is better than Sophos's and will take you less time, and it is also a simple solution: stay away from AV software, and only install applications from people/companies that you trust :D
My solution is better than Sophos's and will take you less time, and it is also a simple solution: stay away from AV software, and only install applications from people/companies that you trust :D
Michaelgtrusa
Nov 16, 08:45 AM
I will try this and post back soon.
samh004
May 7, 11:08 AM
I get the feeling they are not really making any money on it, so it would make sense to give it away as a benefit of "using a mac."
I can�t remember where it was mentioned, but I recall (dreamed?) that Apple had 1 million paid-up MobileMe members at one stage. If you even multiply that by the lowest amount you can purchase it for, that�s what, $69 million a year. Can�t be losing that much money.
Maybe an apple giftcard for the difference? Like apple did for the early adopters of iPhone 2G when there was a price drop :cool:
At least that�d make me buy a product I�ve had my eye on but haven�t had incentive to take the plunge ;)
The best option is to cover both ends.
I like this idea� but not the following one�
Free MobileMe as an iAd platform? That sounds about right. Paid MobileMe without the iAds? I think we're getting somewhere now...
I�d still pay in this case, but the price better not increase :(
I can�t remember where it was mentioned, but I recall (dreamed?) that Apple had 1 million paid-up MobileMe members at one stage. If you even multiply that by the lowest amount you can purchase it for, that�s what, $69 million a year. Can�t be losing that much money.
Maybe an apple giftcard for the difference? Like apple did for the early adopters of iPhone 2G when there was a price drop :cool:
At least that�d make me buy a product I�ve had my eye on but haven�t had incentive to take the plunge ;)
The best option is to cover both ends.
I like this idea� but not the following one�
Free MobileMe as an iAd platform? That sounds about right. Paid MobileMe without the iAds? I think we're getting somewhere now...
I�d still pay in this case, but the price better not increase :(
al2o3cr
Mar 29, 09:46 AM
What I'm more curious about is: will Amazon offer the Import/Export service:
http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/
for these accounts? I suspect an awful lot of us stuck behind cable modems with craptastical upload speeds would appreciate that...
http://aws.amazon.com/importexport/
for these accounts? I suspect an awful lot of us stuck behind cable modems with craptastical upload speeds would appreciate that...
No comments:
Post a Comment