needthephone
Jan 2, 04:19 AM
Personally speaking I can't get excited about software. An OS is an OS windows, OSX I don't care as long as it works (OK advantage Apple but if MS did the job I would use it) Ilife come on, surely something not as dull as free software no one uses.
Please let it be new stuff you can hold.
Please let it be new stuff you can hold.
kristoffer4
May 4, 10:21 AM
But this will become confusing to some. Some will ask why can I delete some apps this way and others I have to move manually to the trash?
My girlfriend complained the other day that installing new programs is a bit of a pain. I showed her the app store and her response was but what if the programs I want is not in the app store? In this case VLC.
My girlfriend complained the other day that installing new programs is a bit of a pain. I showed her the app store and her response was but what if the programs I want is not in the app store? In this case VLC.
mambodancer
Jul 18, 10:18 PM
I think you are confusing the term HD in various context.
A movie file (computer file) can be in HD resolution (1280x720 or 1920x1080) encoded in a variety of formats (MPEG2, MPEG4-H.264 aka AVC, Microsoft VC-1).
If the non-DRM'd file is available on your computer, you can view them using a variety of playback software such as Quicktime, Windows Media Player, VLC player, etc.
However, you rented HD-DVD. This is a physical media that requires a blu-laser based HD-DVD player to play it on. Currently only Toshiba sells such a player as a standalone player HD-A1 I believe. They also have a high-end laptop with this player built-in. So, you need a HD-DVD readable drive to playback the HD-DVD disc you rented from Netflix.
What Apple is talking about is authoring HD disks. You can make HD movies using Final Cut Pro or even iMovie by importing a HD movie (probably in HDV format). Then create a DVD image of it that is capable of HD. I have not used this feature - so I don't know the details.
I would have preferred a way to burn H.264 based HD movies into a standard DVD (red laser based single or dual layer DVD) and play it back on a low cost player that can do H.264 decoding (including HD resolution). I guess a Mac Mini is one such beast ;-)
That's what I figured. I knew it was too much to hope that I could play HD-DVD's in my iMac without buying a stand alone player. Oh, well. Thanks for the reply.
A movie file (computer file) can be in HD resolution (1280x720 or 1920x1080) encoded in a variety of formats (MPEG2, MPEG4-H.264 aka AVC, Microsoft VC-1).
If the non-DRM'd file is available on your computer, you can view them using a variety of playback software such as Quicktime, Windows Media Player, VLC player, etc.
However, you rented HD-DVD. This is a physical media that requires a blu-laser based HD-DVD player to play it on. Currently only Toshiba sells such a player as a standalone player HD-A1 I believe. They also have a high-end laptop with this player built-in. So, you need a HD-DVD readable drive to playback the HD-DVD disc you rented from Netflix.
What Apple is talking about is authoring HD disks. You can make HD movies using Final Cut Pro or even iMovie by importing a HD movie (probably in HDV format). Then create a DVD image of it that is capable of HD. I have not used this feature - so I don't know the details.
I would have preferred a way to burn H.264 based HD movies into a standard DVD (red laser based single or dual layer DVD) and play it back on a low cost player that can do H.264 decoding (including HD resolution). I guess a Mac Mini is one such beast ;-)
That's what I figured. I knew it was too much to hope that I could play HD-DVD's in my iMac without buying a stand alone player. Oh, well. Thanks for the reply.
Lukeit
Mar 31, 02:43 AM
Regarding the launchpad... I can't remove applications anymore...
When I click "option" the icons get to "shake" but there is not X sign to click to delete the app... they just wiggle and can't be deleted.
Any of you the same?
Also very difficult to move them around...
In my experience launchpad was working better on preview 1!
Ideas?
When I click "option" the icons get to "shake" but there is not X sign to click to delete the app... they just wiggle and can't be deleted.
Any of you the same?
Also very difficult to move them around...
In my experience launchpad was working better on preview 1!
Ideas?
kdjc00
Mar 28, 01:19 PM
it will be interesting to see where apple takes that capabilities of this features to expand its gaming line. i hope it expands it to the apple tv. HD 1080p games would be great..

evilgEEk
Jul 18, 08:16 PM
i wouldnt even pay a $1.99 if the resolution is the same as the current video content on iTunes... HORRID!
I'm definitely with you there. I want to both rent and purchase movies, but if they're going to be 320x240 then forget it. I'm not paying my hard-earned cash for that.
DVD quality and at least 5.1 surround is what I would require before I rented any movies from Apple.
I'm definitely with you there. I want to both rent and purchase movies, but if they're going to be 320x240 then forget it. I'm not paying my hard-earned cash for that.
DVD quality and at least 5.1 surround is what I would require before I rented any movies from Apple.
aross99
Apr 2, 09:28 PM
Actually that is why it does work. Because it isn't steel and lasers. If you go back and watch the ad again at least twice there were medical tech references and at least one 'learning' tech. Apple is pushing these types of things to get rid of the 'it's a toy, talk. And the folks that decide to put iPads in a hospital or a school are often older folks and zippy steel etc doesn't appeal to them
I think you missed the "sarcasm tag" in the post...
I think you missed the "sarcasm tag" in the post...
brianus
Sep 1, 01:05 PM
Most of the posts in this thread are about the 23" screen. Yes, I think it will happen to allow the imac to play 1080i/1080p HD.
But, how about the processors? Apple needs to have a Core 2 (Conroe not Merom) inside the imac. The imac is not a conventionally size desktop (not as much room inside as a tower) but Apple can not continue to use a laptop processor in the imac. If they do, then how will the Conroe be used in Apple's line up? In a Mac tower? I don't think so. Surely, a 23" iMac could house the Conroe suitably?
So I would say that the 23" iMac would kill 2 birds - Conroe and HD for the home user. :)
I completely agree with you that using Conroe would make more sense (the casing for the 17" and 20" models was originally designer for a G5, for pete's sake), but I disagree with the assumption that Conroe will *have* to be used in some way in Apple's lineup. Nobody's putting a gun to their head; they may well skip that processor entirely, as AppleInsider has suggested.
They may be responding to positive reviews and customer satisfaction with the relative silence of the Yonah iMacs compared to their G5 predecessors. I don't know how much hotter and louder an iMac would run with Conroe, but if it was noisy it would be a disappointment, as all the other desktop models they've released this year have been noticeably quieter.
Of course they won't offer it in aluminum, sheesh. Aluminum is the "pro" color, white and black are the "consumer" colors. Sheesh! Thought you people followed Apple.. anybody think they'll offer a "premium" black 23", same as they did for the higher-end MacBook? They are after all "siblings" in the product lineup.
Lastly I don't see them getting rid of the "chin" unless they come out with the rumored touch-screen, widescreen video iPods on the 12th too. I think the visual similarity between the iPod and iMac is quite intentional and not something they're likely to change unless the iPod itself changes.
But, how about the processors? Apple needs to have a Core 2 (Conroe not Merom) inside the imac. The imac is not a conventionally size desktop (not as much room inside as a tower) but Apple can not continue to use a laptop processor in the imac. If they do, then how will the Conroe be used in Apple's line up? In a Mac tower? I don't think so. Surely, a 23" iMac could house the Conroe suitably?
So I would say that the 23" iMac would kill 2 birds - Conroe and HD for the home user. :)
I completely agree with you that using Conroe would make more sense (the casing for the 17" and 20" models was originally designer for a G5, for pete's sake), but I disagree with the assumption that Conroe will *have* to be used in some way in Apple's lineup. Nobody's putting a gun to their head; they may well skip that processor entirely, as AppleInsider has suggested.
They may be responding to positive reviews and customer satisfaction with the relative silence of the Yonah iMacs compared to their G5 predecessors. I don't know how much hotter and louder an iMac would run with Conroe, but if it was noisy it would be a disappointment, as all the other desktop models they've released this year have been noticeably quieter.
Of course they won't offer it in aluminum, sheesh. Aluminum is the "pro" color, white and black are the "consumer" colors. Sheesh! Thought you people followed Apple.. anybody think they'll offer a "premium" black 23", same as they did for the higher-end MacBook? They are after all "siblings" in the product lineup.
Lastly I don't see them getting rid of the "chin" unless they come out with the rumored touch-screen, widescreen video iPods on the 12th too. I think the visual similarity between the iPod and iMac is quite intentional and not something they're likely to change unless the iPod itself changes.
Vulpinemac
Apr 19, 01:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
One step closer to a MBA refresh.
Good grief, man! We just had an MBA refresh a couple months ago. Give it a break!
Personally, I'm waiting for the next major iMac update that puts it into an all new chassis.
One step closer to a MBA refresh.
Good grief, man! We just had an MBA refresh a couple months ago. Give it a break!
Personally, I'm waiting for the next major iMac update that puts it into an all new chassis.
kjjnk
Apr 12, 09:17 PM
Wow, it looks absolutely stunning.
lordonuthin
May 4, 07:14 PM
interesting. well i might get a mac pro someday. my homebuilt machine is a big hassle and i'm not there to work on it. i would rather have a computer that i can fold and use regularly
Building your own is fun but can be a real pain sometimes, especially if you use Linux :eek:
Building your own is fun but can be a real pain sometimes, especially if you use Linux :eek:
macthetiger85
Apr 26, 04:44 PM
Also i've never had a Mac.
Does apple use the term "applications" for their software as opposed to "programs" like windows.
If that is the case all Apple is doing is shortening their Mac name Applications to App. Everyone else is just copying them.
Everyone else can call them programs and lets call it a day.
Mac OS has used applications since i can remember - Jobs has used apps in keynotes to refer to Apple's apps way before iPhone.
Does apple use the term "applications" for their software as opposed to "programs" like windows.
If that is the case all Apple is doing is shortening their Mac name Applications to App. Everyone else is just copying them.
Everyone else can call them programs and lets call it a day.
Mac OS has used applications since i can remember - Jobs has used apps in keynotes to refer to Apple's apps way before iPhone.
DMann
Aug 6, 08:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
MacRumorsLive.com (http://www.macrumorslive.com/) will provide live coverage of the event starting at 1PM EST (10AM Pacific). No need to reload the page, updates will appear as they are posted. In January, our system successfully delivered updates to over 100,000 (http://www.macrumors.com/events/mwsf2006-stats.php) simultaneous visitors.
More photos of banners posted at WWDC have been circulating. Apple appears to be taking on Microsoft's upcoming Vista operating system directly with banners that state:
"Mac OS X Leopard, Introducing Vista 2.0" (photo (http://static.flickr.com/74/207241438_7c0f89412d_b.jpg))
"Mac OS X Leopard, Hasta la Vista, Vista"
In the meanwhile, you can read the WWDC 2006 Rumor Roundup (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060805162310.shtml), see our WWDC related Guide Pages (http://guides.macrumors.com/Category:WWDC_2006), chat in our IRC channel (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030608214842.shtml) or participate in the forums (http://forums.macrumors.com).
We will continue to provide any last minute updates leading to the event.
Perhaps MS will change the name a third time before it is released.
MacRumorsLive.com (http://www.macrumorslive.com/) will provide live coverage of the event starting at 1PM EST (10AM Pacific). No need to reload the page, updates will appear as they are posted. In January, our system successfully delivered updates to over 100,000 (http://www.macrumors.com/events/mwsf2006-stats.php) simultaneous visitors.
More photos of banners posted at WWDC have been circulating. Apple appears to be taking on Microsoft's upcoming Vista operating system directly with banners that state:
"Mac OS X Leopard, Introducing Vista 2.0" (photo (http://static.flickr.com/74/207241438_7c0f89412d_b.jpg))
"Mac OS X Leopard, Hasta la Vista, Vista"
In the meanwhile, you can read the WWDC 2006 Rumor Roundup (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060805162310.shtml), see our WWDC related Guide Pages (http://guides.macrumors.com/Category:WWDC_2006), chat in our IRC channel (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/06/20030608214842.shtml) or participate in the forums (http://forums.macrumors.com).
We will continue to provide any last minute updates leading to the event.
Perhaps MS will change the name a third time before it is released.
islanders
Dec 29, 08:04 PM
I entirely DISagree :)
It's the cost and convenience that will determine how successful iTS downloads are. I would hope for DVD quality (including surround sound).
One day I'll have a HD screen and I'll be wanting to use a HD service.. so it'd be good for Apple to have a plan there for that :)
Good point.
But it seems like most people are dying for HD over here. We have quite a few cable and satellite providers that have HD and who ever offers the most channel, people are going to choose that one. Comcast is supposed to roll out 20 more HD channels in 07. The same goes for the others.
Direct TV which is one of the major satellite providers didn�t anticipate the demand for HD DVD and they were on back order for months, about a month ago, when I was choosing a cable provider. You buy that HD DVD for $200, a two year contract for HD, and rent the box then return it. (yeah right?) And you had to get on a waiting list.
I don�t think anyone anticipated the demand for HD. People watch programs they normally wouldn�t if it�s HD.
There are still a lot of analog cable subscribers on Comcast, you don�t need a digital box, but they are going to be forced to use digital so Comcast can make room on the bandwidth for more HD channels.
Digital 480p isn�t bad, but it�s 4:3 aspect.
I would say PQ is the highest concern. And I agree price is also right up there, and it�s a different market.
It's the cost and convenience that will determine how successful iTS downloads are. I would hope for DVD quality (including surround sound).
One day I'll have a HD screen and I'll be wanting to use a HD service.. so it'd be good for Apple to have a plan there for that :)
Good point.
But it seems like most people are dying for HD over here. We have quite a few cable and satellite providers that have HD and who ever offers the most channel, people are going to choose that one. Comcast is supposed to roll out 20 more HD channels in 07. The same goes for the others.
Direct TV which is one of the major satellite providers didn�t anticipate the demand for HD DVD and they were on back order for months, about a month ago, when I was choosing a cable provider. You buy that HD DVD for $200, a two year contract for HD, and rent the box then return it. (yeah right?) And you had to get on a waiting list.
I don�t think anyone anticipated the demand for HD. People watch programs they normally wouldn�t if it�s HD.
There are still a lot of analog cable subscribers on Comcast, you don�t need a digital box, but they are going to be forced to use digital so Comcast can make room on the bandwidth for more HD channels.
Digital 480p isn�t bad, but it�s 4:3 aspect.
I would say PQ is the highest concern. And I agree price is also right up there, and it�s a different market.
KevanDual2.5
Sep 6, 08:56 AM
Maybe i am alone on this one....
I think the 24" iMac G5 is the beginning of the end of the G5 iMac. We all watched as the outstanding G4 iMac grew from a 15" to a 17" and finally to 20". While the stunning design remained the same, the 20" just didn't look as good as the 2 previous models. The proportions were wrong and it looked top-heavy.
I am sitting in front of an original 23" Apple Display (plastic rather than aluminium). The new iMac cannot be much smaller than it. I firmly believe that the 24" will be, and should be, as big as it gets. I just hope that heat doesn't become a problem with the Core 2 Duo chips else the G5 iMac may have to evolve into a new enclosure.
Anyone else have thoughts similar?
I think the 24" iMac G5 is the beginning of the end of the G5 iMac. We all watched as the outstanding G4 iMac grew from a 15" to a 17" and finally to 20". While the stunning design remained the same, the 20" just didn't look as good as the 2 previous models. The proportions were wrong and it looked top-heavy.
I am sitting in front of an original 23" Apple Display (plastic rather than aluminium). The new iMac cannot be much smaller than it. I firmly believe that the 24" will be, and should be, as big as it gets. I just hope that heat doesn't become a problem with the Core 2 Duo chips else the G5 iMac may have to evolve into a new enclosure.
Anyone else have thoughts similar?
paradox00
May 2, 05:08 PM
I got a another newbie question
I am planning on moving out of Windows (7) and onto MAC OS X, but I want to wait for Lion since its close to a finished product. Now my question is, if Lion comes out, would that mean every Mac (Mac Pro, iMac, iMac mini, Macbook, MB Pros, etc) would have Lion installed/packaged or is there a specific mac that will have Lion on its first day and the other macs would have to wait???
All macs sold after launch will come with Lion either pre-installed or with an upgrade disk (if they shipped before Lion launched).
Edit: Lion should also be compatible with any mac with a Core 2 Duo or newer (my Core Duo MBP will, sadly, be obsolete).
I am planning on moving out of Windows (7) and onto MAC OS X, but I want to wait for Lion since its close to a finished product. Now my question is, if Lion comes out, would that mean every Mac (Mac Pro, iMac, iMac mini, Macbook, MB Pros, etc) would have Lion installed/packaged or is there a specific mac that will have Lion on its first day and the other macs would have to wait???
All macs sold after launch will come with Lion either pre-installed or with an upgrade disk (if they shipped before Lion launched).
Edit: Lion should also be compatible with any mac with a Core 2 Duo or newer (my Core Duo MBP will, sadly, be obsolete).
Blue Velvet
Mar 22, 12:11 PM
Yeah, but homosexuality is a choice.
Are you serious?
Are you serious?
MacinDoc
Aug 26, 02:44 PM
IDon't worry, the New Form-Factor Conroe Mini-Tower/Home-Theatre Mac� will be here soon. ;)
Wow, Aiden, you sound pretty confident about that. Do you know something that the rest of us don't? (It would make sense, however, to have a mid-range single Conroe-based desktop.)
Wow, Aiden, you sound pretty confident about that. Do you know something that the rest of us don't? (It would make sense, however, to have a mid-range single Conroe-based desktop.)
Rocketman
Jan 1, 05:31 PM
I am expecting MACworld to bring (2/3 of):
A couple of interesting new MacPro BTO options.
A new iMac which is an iTV mainframe of sorts.
iTV enabled monitors.
An iTV breakout box for talking to existing computers and televisions.
802.11n in many places including a "surprise" (to some) announcement Macs have been shipping with 802.11n for several months now and it can be enabled by a software update (available today).
A consumer SAN.
New iPod games
New iLife/iWork apps and upgrades and backgrounds.
FCP update.
One more thing: Video iPod
Later: a "media release" perhaps leading to or at NAB
Later: an iTunes event announcing more movie studios and broadcast content libraries.
Later: Leopard, Mac-Mini C2D, MacMaster (workstation class system)
Rocketman
A couple of interesting new MacPro BTO options.
A new iMac which is an iTV mainframe of sorts.
iTV enabled monitors.
An iTV breakout box for talking to existing computers and televisions.
802.11n in many places including a "surprise" (to some) announcement Macs have been shipping with 802.11n for several months now and it can be enabled by a software update (available today).
A consumer SAN.
New iPod games
New iLife/iWork apps and upgrades and backgrounds.
FCP update.
One more thing: Video iPod
Later: a "media release" perhaps leading to or at NAB
Later: an iTunes event announcing more movie studios and broadcast content libraries.
Later: Leopard, Mac-Mini C2D, MacMaster (workstation class system)
Rocketman
SciFrog
Nov 8, 07:04 PM
bigadv are not available on windows but many are running virtual machines...
Silentwave
Jul 14, 12:59 AM
On the 802.11n front- to deviate from the thread again - if Apple and other traditional tech companies do not get behind this - it will leave an opening for telecom/cable companies like Comcast, AT&T, and Verizon - all of whom are delivering faster and faster connection speeds to the (residential)consumer's front door .... Verizon's fiber optic system gives faster download and upload times than previous options, so they are creating a need for faster home networks.
Apple is beginning to compete with telcoms for the communication dollar (iChat AV and ventures into cell phones) - so telcoms might strike back by offering machines or networking cards that work with these advancing high speed internets. I dunno.
802.11n I could care less about right now. I'm sure wherever I end up at college will go to it eventually, but i'll do most of my stuff wired methinks :p
What we REALLY need is 10-gigabit ethernet standard. Gigabit is now becoming standard among too many companies! apple needs to lead the way into the future!
The high speed interfaces of the future are going to be verrrry nice. I wonder if we'll have infiniband as an option instead of just fibrechannel.
Apple is beginning to compete with telcoms for the communication dollar (iChat AV and ventures into cell phones) - so telcoms might strike back by offering machines or networking cards that work with these advancing high speed internets. I dunno.
802.11n I could care less about right now. I'm sure wherever I end up at college will go to it eventually, but i'll do most of my stuff wired methinks :p
What we REALLY need is 10-gigabit ethernet standard. Gigabit is now becoming standard among too many companies! apple needs to lead the way into the future!
The high speed interfaces of the future are going to be verrrry nice. I wonder if we'll have infiniband as an option instead of just fibrechannel.
Counterfit
Nov 29, 02:21 PM
Apple to design a car?
Bobby Rahal will do the devolpment driving for the new "apple turbo". ;)
I've been trying to find a model of that thing for years.
Bobby Rahal will do the devolpment driving for the new "apple turbo". ;)
I've been trying to find a model of that thing for years.
Benny777
Apr 19, 12:32 PM
Yes!!! This will complement my recently purchased iPad 2 and MacBook Pro issued to me from work! I've got the cash, I've just been waiting for the Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt update and hopefully a 24" version!
AppleScruff1
Apr 23, 11:37 AM
for all your defending of this feature ... can you give me even one positive reason this is good for the average person that out-weighs the negative ones ... just one
It's a good feature because Apple has it, otherwise he would be in an uproar.
It's a good feature because Apple has it, otherwise he would be in an uproar.
No comments:
Post a Comment