xPismo
Oct 28, 05:16 PM
The whole OSx86 project is a warez project hiding behind OSS. It just re-enforces the negative OSS image.
edit: They even have screenshots of Aqua running on an unknown Pentium 4 processor. If that's not promoting warez, what is it?
Ack. Thats pretty damming text.
edit: They even have screenshots of Aqua running on an unknown Pentium 4 processor. If that's not promoting warez, what is it?
Ack. Thats pretty damming text.
teme
Sep 12, 06:01 AM
The smaller EU iTunes stores are not offering any videos, not even music videos or Pixar short movies. I think there is no hope that the new movie store would be available anytime soon for the smaller iTMS countries. Apple has been quite lazy in the smaller countries about the iTMS, not promotions or exclusives... in Finland it seems that the smaller online music stores get the local finnish music content months before iTMS gets them.
omegaphil6
Mar 17, 11:34 AM
bunch of haters. In a society where our own government is the biggest crook of all , you all have the nerve to jump down this guy's throat because of someone else's mistake!?!?
Plus, if you have ever been to a best buy, employees jump on and off registers all the time without logging off first. They will never know which employee did it.
also consider that this was this guy's karma coming back to him. He did good and now he is getting rewarded.
Plus if this cashier is dumb enough to mistake $230 for $500 plus tax then does Best Buy really want him working register and relying on customer honesty to save his job?
I say, im glad you got an iPad2 for $230. ENjoy it because it will probably never happen again!
Plus, if you have ever been to a best buy, employees jump on and off registers all the time without logging off first. They will never know which employee did it.
also consider that this was this guy's karma coming back to him. He did good and now he is getting rewarded.
Plus if this cashier is dumb enough to mistake $230 for $500 plus tax then does Best Buy really want him working register and relying on customer honesty to save his job?
I say, im glad you got an iPad2 for $230. ENjoy it because it will probably never happen again!

LagunaSol
Apr 16, 01:43 AM
Next up, Google gives away songs for free. Inserts targeted ads every 30 seconds of music. Fandroids flood the Web to tell us all how awesome Android and "free" Google music are and what a greedy jerk Steve Jobs is for selling songs.
You know it's coming.
You know it's coming.
more...
chrismacguy
Apr 13, 12:57 PM
Put a big, thick, security door between the cockpit and the passengers that can take a stronger blast than the plane's hull.
Problem solved; the risk of a man with a knife on a plane is identical to that same man on a public train or bus.
No ridiculous pat-downs and feeling up of children needed. Allow profiling and leave the metal detectors in place (similar security to our local courthouse) to prevent casual idiots, and have the security door to minimize damage from an organized attempt (if they can't hijack the plane, and can only kill the people on board, it's not worth the trouble; they can just go blow up a bus), and you've got a pretty good balance of security.
Actually, that wont work, because someone somewhere on that plane outside of the cockpit will have to know the code, and the door will end up being opened mid-flight regardless - otherwise how are pilots supposed to eat/go to the loo on longer flights? Organised groups would take advantage of that in a second, making your idea null and void on any flight over approx 3 hours. The Shoot-up on a plane also wont cause that much damage. While a bullet may exit the aircraft and cause a decompression, in theory the most that should rip away of the aircrafts outer-skin is a 10-10 square. Not drastic, and definitely survivable. Even with multiple bullet holes, the plane would still in all likelihood get down to 10,000ft and then proceed to land with no loss of non-shot-at life, which is what the TSA actually cares about
Problem solved; the risk of a man with a knife on a plane is identical to that same man on a public train or bus.
No ridiculous pat-downs and feeling up of children needed. Allow profiling and leave the metal detectors in place (similar security to our local courthouse) to prevent casual idiots, and have the security door to minimize damage from an organized attempt (if they can't hijack the plane, and can only kill the people on board, it's not worth the trouble; they can just go blow up a bus), and you've got a pretty good balance of security.
Actually, that wont work, because someone somewhere on that plane outside of the cockpit will have to know the code, and the door will end up being opened mid-flight regardless - otherwise how are pilots supposed to eat/go to the loo on longer flights? Organised groups would take advantage of that in a second, making your idea null and void on any flight over approx 3 hours. The Shoot-up on a plane also wont cause that much damage. While a bullet may exit the aircraft and cause a decompression, in theory the most that should rip away of the aircrafts outer-skin is a 10-10 square. Not drastic, and definitely survivable. Even with multiple bullet holes, the plane would still in all likelihood get down to 10,000ft and then proceed to land with no loss of non-shot-at life, which is what the TSA actually cares about
SkyStudios
May 2, 12:48 PM
I am glad they are addressing it as well; however...Apple's response to this issue has been somewhat confusing (and begs the question as to why they needed that much data and why it was not encrypted properly). Ill be first to say that it most likely is and was just a dumb move on Apple's behalf...
more...

tattoo quotes on life. tattoo

tattoo quotes about life.
more...

tattoo quotes about life.

Best Meanings – Custom Tattoo
more...

latin tattoo quotes.

cute tattoo quotes about life
more...

tattoo quotes about life. life

tattoo quotes about life
more...

life tattoo quotes for girls.

tattoo quotes about life.
more...

tattoo quotes about life

tattoo quotes on life. life
more...

wlh99
Apr 28, 09:13 AM
Your minutes and seconds are thus never reset, so your "timer" is never reset (this is completely a seperate issue from NSTimer, hence why I say you probably don't understand the scope of NSTimer. It has no knowledge of these variables and thus doesn't reset them when you invalidate myTimer or newTimer).
That has been pointed out. The OP is stuck thinking the timer is broken, when it works exactly as it should. I think the OP thinks that those variables are part of the timer. He also first thought "self" was the timer. I asked if/where he was resetting the seconds, and if he wanted a reset function or not. For all we know, he wants a start stop timer that doesn't reset. That would be a normal implementation.
Also, could you please post a screenshot of your Interface Builder associations ? (under File's Owner, the tab in Inspector with all the Outlets and Actions), because I can't quite figure out what buttons are tied to what actions.
That would be very helpful. Also, explain how you want the program to act as the user uses it.
You also still have 2 timers. Why do you believe you need both ? Have you tried simplifying the code to using only 1 ?
He was told elsewhere that he could not reuse a timer. I think he is still stuck on the concept (not necessarily the definition) of a pointer, and of the life-cycle of an object. I'm not sure he grasps that in the posted samples, the NSTimer was not being reused.
None of these are trick questions, It's me trying to understand what you think this code should do vs what it's actually doing. Now, if you don't answer my questions, I can't really help you here short of writing the code for you, which does not help you learn (I have a good idea how to make the code I wrote last night do what you want to do very quickly, but I doubt you can afford me as a consultant at my exorbitant rates!).
I have some code to post to help the OP. But for not, I'm about to get a parking ticket, so I have to leave. But I will post it today.
That has been pointed out. The OP is stuck thinking the timer is broken, when it works exactly as it should. I think the OP thinks that those variables are part of the timer. He also first thought "self" was the timer. I asked if/where he was resetting the seconds, and if he wanted a reset function or not. For all we know, he wants a start stop timer that doesn't reset. That would be a normal implementation.
Also, could you please post a screenshot of your Interface Builder associations ? (under File's Owner, the tab in Inspector with all the Outlets and Actions), because I can't quite figure out what buttons are tied to what actions.
That would be very helpful. Also, explain how you want the program to act as the user uses it.
You also still have 2 timers. Why do you believe you need both ? Have you tried simplifying the code to using only 1 ?
He was told elsewhere that he could not reuse a timer. I think he is still stuck on the concept (not necessarily the definition) of a pointer, and of the life-cycle of an object. I'm not sure he grasps that in the posted samples, the NSTimer was not being reused.
None of these are trick questions, It's me trying to understand what you think this code should do vs what it's actually doing. Now, if you don't answer my questions, I can't really help you here short of writing the code for you, which does not help you learn (I have a good idea how to make the code I wrote last night do what you want to do very quickly, but I doubt you can afford me as a consultant at my exorbitant rates!).
I have some code to post to help the OP. But for not, I'm about to get a parking ticket, so I have to leave. But I will post it today.
Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 12, 07:34 AM
Even the Norwegian iTunes store is down...
I didn't expect that, after the last couple of months controversies here... :confused:
I didn't expect that, after the last couple of months controversies here... :confused:
more...

bmustaf
Dec 13, 05:07 PM
I'm not buying it (either in terms of the story, or in terms of a supposed hybrid phone if it does make it to market).
The baseband chipsets don't exist as mass market components (either in supply or feature set).
If they did, they'd suck down battery faster than you could keep the damn thing charged. I think it is pretty clear where Apple plays - technology that is applicable, relevant, and usable.
I don't think 4G is there yet, unless Qualcomm et al are hiding some major hybrid CDMA/LTE chipsets (the LTE-only chipsets themselves are power hogs - why do you think VZW hasn't rolled out handsets, they've limited 4G use to people hooking USB cards into a 3000mAh battery that can feed that 500mAh - 1000mAh draw).
Battery technology is getting better, and the chipsets are getting better, but not in time for a device in January. Maybe I'll eat crow, but I doubt it. If this happens (and it might), it's not going to be a great device that everyone is expecting (read: keep the 4G radio off and use it as a CDMA iPhone 4) or it's simply not going to exist. It's possible VZW needed a retort to ATT's simultaneous voice & data ploy so they included it to check that off the list and the phone will stick to EVDO for nearly everything...but the EVDO<->LTE carrier handoff isn't transparent (far worse than EDGE<->3G), so that is a usability issue in and of itself that I think Apple would not like.
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/13/4g-verizon-iphone-to-debut-after-christmas/)
MacDailyNews reports (http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/exclusive_verizons_iphone_rumored_to_be_lte_device_coming_right_after_xmas/) that it has received information from a "source that we believe to be credible" regarding management training for the Verizon iPhone offered by the company last week. According to the report, the Verizon iPhone will launch immediately after Christmas and is in fact an LTE 4G device.The report also claims that the Verizon iPhone is already shipping to Verizon warehouses, and the carrier will maintain control over all stock until launch in order to control information leaks.
Finally, the source indicates that the iPhone 5 was intended to be LTE-only at its debut next summer, but Steve Jobs and Apple are upset that the carriers are not building out their LTE infrastructure quickly enough to make that happen.
Verizon's 4G network launched last week (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/01/verizons-4g-network-to-launch-next-week-no-handsets-until-mid-2011/) for mobile broadband customers, but the carrier noted that it does not expect to debut 4G-capable handsets until the middle of next year.
MacDailyNews is not a frequent source of rumors, and has a mixed record on the information it has published in the past. In addition, we are skeptical that Apple had ever seriously planned for the fifth-generation iPhone 5 to be "LTE-only", given that even the most aggressive LTE build-out schedules from the carriers have long planned for it to be several years before their entire networks are upgraded to the standard. In fact, other sources (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/11/mid-2011-iphone-to-utilize-dual-mode-gsm-cdma-chip-skip-4g/) have indicated that the fifth-generation iPhone won't support LTE at all, a move which would follow Apple's precedent with not supporting 3G in the original iPhone as it waited for greater availability and more advanced technology for utilizing the standard.
Consequently, we are publishing this rumor on Page 2 for interest and discussion.
Article Link: 4G Verizon iPhone to Debut After Christmas? (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/13/4g-verizon-iphone-to-debut-after-christmas/)
The baseband chipsets don't exist as mass market components (either in supply or feature set).
If they did, they'd suck down battery faster than you could keep the damn thing charged. I think it is pretty clear where Apple plays - technology that is applicable, relevant, and usable.
I don't think 4G is there yet, unless Qualcomm et al are hiding some major hybrid CDMA/LTE chipsets (the LTE-only chipsets themselves are power hogs - why do you think VZW hasn't rolled out handsets, they've limited 4G use to people hooking USB cards into a 3000mAh battery that can feed that 500mAh - 1000mAh draw).
Battery technology is getting better, and the chipsets are getting better, but not in time for a device in January. Maybe I'll eat crow, but I doubt it. If this happens (and it might), it's not going to be a great device that everyone is expecting (read: keep the 4G radio off and use it as a CDMA iPhone 4) or it's simply not going to exist. It's possible VZW needed a retort to ATT's simultaneous voice & data ploy so they included it to check that off the list and the phone will stick to EVDO for nearly everything...but the EVDO<->LTE carrier handoff isn't transparent (far worse than EDGE<->3G), so that is a usability issue in and of itself that I think Apple would not like.
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/13/4g-verizon-iphone-to-debut-after-christmas/)
MacDailyNews reports (http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/exclusive_verizons_iphone_rumored_to_be_lte_device_coming_right_after_xmas/) that it has received information from a "source that we believe to be credible" regarding management training for the Verizon iPhone offered by the company last week. According to the report, the Verizon iPhone will launch immediately after Christmas and is in fact an LTE 4G device.The report also claims that the Verizon iPhone is already shipping to Verizon warehouses, and the carrier will maintain control over all stock until launch in order to control information leaks.
Finally, the source indicates that the iPhone 5 was intended to be LTE-only at its debut next summer, but Steve Jobs and Apple are upset that the carriers are not building out their LTE infrastructure quickly enough to make that happen.
Verizon's 4G network launched last week (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/01/verizons-4g-network-to-launch-next-week-no-handsets-until-mid-2011/) for mobile broadband customers, but the carrier noted that it does not expect to debut 4G-capable handsets until the middle of next year.
MacDailyNews is not a frequent source of rumors, and has a mixed record on the information it has published in the past. In addition, we are skeptical that Apple had ever seriously planned for the fifth-generation iPhone 5 to be "LTE-only", given that even the most aggressive LTE build-out schedules from the carriers have long planned for it to be several years before their entire networks are upgraded to the standard. In fact, other sources (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/11/mid-2011-iphone-to-utilize-dual-mode-gsm-cdma-chip-skip-4g/) have indicated that the fifth-generation iPhone won't support LTE at all, a move which would follow Apple's precedent with not supporting 3G in the original iPhone as it waited for greater availability and more advanced technology for utilizing the standard.
Consequently, we are publishing this rumor on Page 2 for interest and discussion.
Article Link: 4G Verizon iPhone to Debut After Christmas? (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/12/13/4g-verizon-iphone-to-debut-after-christmas/)
caspersoong
May 3, 05:50 AM
I think I will just ignore this... And block it in my hosts file.
more...
bedifferent
Apr 29, 09:49 PM
Noticed that local snapshots is gone from "Time Machine"
tgildred
Jan 11, 03:55 PM
What are your predictions for this years MacWorld?
...Pain...
...Pain...
more...

rodpascoe
Sep 27, 03:58 PM
Isn't it obvious :eek:
Not to me? I've been wondering what optimized support means too! I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the Fuji S3 support! Hooray! :p
Not to me? I've been wondering what optimized support means too! I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the Fuji S3 support! Hooray! :p
JAT
May 4, 10:26 AM
That's the joke.
On a more serious note, not really. I was trying to think of something other than web browsing. I have a HTPC that I cobbled together that takes care of that.
It's basically the ultimate "access" machine. Just yesterday I used my phone as a dictionary, store, terminal to enterprise software, link to external contact database. (also made some phone calls) iPad would be similar. Lookup, lookup, lookup. Web browsing is covered under that, too.
One thing the iPad brings that any phone cannot is a level of professionalism. In the companies I deal with, using your phone during a meeting looks questionable, like you're fooling around. Using a tablet or laptop to do the exact same lookup of whatever would be ok. It's a little silly, but that's the vibe I get currently.
This is not to say everyone has use for it. I'm happy with the phone, I'm not in that many meetings.
On a more serious note, not really. I was trying to think of something other than web browsing. I have a HTPC that I cobbled together that takes care of that.
It's basically the ultimate "access" machine. Just yesterday I used my phone as a dictionary, store, terminal to enterprise software, link to external contact database. (also made some phone calls) iPad would be similar. Lookup, lookup, lookup. Web browsing is covered under that, too.
One thing the iPad brings that any phone cannot is a level of professionalism. In the companies I deal with, using your phone during a meeting looks questionable, like you're fooling around. Using a tablet or laptop to do the exact same lookup of whatever would be ok. It's a little silly, but that's the vibe I get currently.
This is not to say everyone has use for it. I'm happy with the phone, I'm not in that many meetings.
more...
Blakjack
May 4, 07:43 AM
just getting started...iPad 3!
Please Stop!!
Please Stop!!

John Purple
Jan 9, 04:20 AM
New user interface:
WYThIWYG (What you think is what you get) :D:D:D:D
WYThIWYG (What you think is what you get) :D:D:D:D
more...

MrSmith
Jan 11, 07:13 PM
I think the "hilarious" part must have slipped me by. :confused:
charlituna
Apr 15, 11:10 PM
I am more curious how the labels are going to try to renegotiate contracts with Apple once Steve moves on.
I am not too sure Tim Cook or anyone of his pay grade is as tough as Steve is when it comes to these label execs.

tattoo ideas quotes on life
I am not too sure Tim Cook or anyone of his pay grade is as tough as Steve is when it comes to these label execs.
GeekLawyer
May 3, 02:33 PM
Where I live, and with the operator I use, this isn't out of the contract though. I don't know which contract you have.You should consider yourself lucky then. This story is about places where your situation is not the case.
peharri
Oct 3, 01:33 PM
iTV has already been announced, of course they'll demo it.
Video iPod... possible. I think "true video iPod" is a misnomer, there already are video iPods, it just might get better over time.
No Apple Phone, for obvious reasons. The Apple Phone will only appear if they can't persuade the rest of the market to license iTunes, or if they're totally, completely, and utterly stupid.
iLife/iWork - well, of course!
More Leopard Features - ditto.
More Movie Studios - hard to believe that wouldn't be the case.
Steve Jobs retiring - possible, but why would it be announced at this MacWorld as opposed to any other time?
Video iPod... possible. I think "true video iPod" is a misnomer, there already are video iPods, it just might get better over time.
No Apple Phone, for obvious reasons. The Apple Phone will only appear if they can't persuade the rest of the market to license iTunes, or if they're totally, completely, and utterly stupid.
iLife/iWork - well, of course!
More Leopard Features - ditto.
More Movie Studios - hard to believe that wouldn't be the case.
Steve Jobs retiring - possible, but why would it be announced at this MacWorld as opposed to any other time?
CaoCao
Oct 2, 08:37 PM
A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
glocke12
May 4, 06:37 PM
Have you had much experience with doctors? I'm guessing that you haven't because medicine is all about asking intrusive questions.
Doctors can't diagnose a problem unless they are able to ask questions. I'm just absolutely astounded at the amount of paranoia when it comes to gun ownership. If it's such a good thing, why can't a doctor ask about it?
I am really, really stunned that there is such a disconnect from reality when it comes to guns. The NRA has done this country an enormous disservice.
Please explain to me what my guns and my doctor have in common.
People, please embrace personal responsibility before you embrace the nanny state while you still have freedoms left.
Substitute guns for something else, porn, your driving habits, etc...and see if your thinking stays the same.
The NRA. I am a member, have been a member for over 20 years and am proud that there is an organization that exists to fight for my right to own firearms. I don't agree with them 100% of the time, and at times have been disappointed in them, but am glad they exist.
Also, 99.9% of the doctors I have been to ask questions that are pertinent ONLY to the reason I am there for a visit.
Doctors can't diagnose a problem unless they are able to ask questions. I'm just absolutely astounded at the amount of paranoia when it comes to gun ownership. If it's such a good thing, why can't a doctor ask about it?
I am really, really stunned that there is such a disconnect from reality when it comes to guns. The NRA has done this country an enormous disservice.
Please explain to me what my guns and my doctor have in common.
People, please embrace personal responsibility before you embrace the nanny state while you still have freedoms left.
Substitute guns for something else, porn, your driving habits, etc...and see if your thinking stays the same.
The NRA. I am a member, have been a member for over 20 years and am proud that there is an organization that exists to fight for my right to own firearms. I don't agree with them 100% of the time, and at times have been disappointed in them, but am glad they exist.
Also, 99.9% of the doctors I have been to ask questions that are pertinent ONLY to the reason I am there for a visit.
lostontheisland
Apr 5, 04:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)
Maybe I'm being harsh, maybe what the world really needs is a 3 hour Zoomba infomercial app. Or an app extolling the benefits of the snuggie. And the excuse 'hey dude, I work in advertising' is not a good reason to criticise people who see this app for what it is, a pile of s***. If you work in advertising, the best thing you could do is make a note of the fact that everyone who DOESN'T work in advertising thinks this is a pile of s*** and modify your advertising strategy accordingly.
It's like people at burger king reacting to the fact that everyone hates burger king by saying 'these burgers are useful to me, because I work at burger king'
But clearly, anyone who claims they may find the iAd Gallery App useful is instantly labeled a 'Moron', tarred, feathered and burned at the stake. Apparently you seem to have extensive knowledge of what everyone else thinks. Have you taken a survey of EVERYONE who DOESN'T work in advertising to confirm your assessment that the iAd App is a 'Pile of Sh**'? Add to that, your Burger King analogy is invalid because you can't possibly claim that EVERYONE hates Burger King. The only claim you could possibly make from any of this is that the majority of MacRumors forum members commenting on this post are grossly mis-informed and incredibly immature.
better than being angry over someone elses opinion.
Maybe I'm being harsh, maybe what the world really needs is a 3 hour Zoomba infomercial app. Or an app extolling the benefits of the snuggie. And the excuse 'hey dude, I work in advertising' is not a good reason to criticise people who see this app for what it is, a pile of s***. If you work in advertising, the best thing you could do is make a note of the fact that everyone who DOESN'T work in advertising thinks this is a pile of s*** and modify your advertising strategy accordingly.
It's like people at burger king reacting to the fact that everyone hates burger king by saying 'these burgers are useful to me, because I work at burger king'
But clearly, anyone who claims they may find the iAd Gallery App useful is instantly labeled a 'Moron', tarred, feathered and burned at the stake. Apparently you seem to have extensive knowledge of what everyone else thinks. Have you taken a survey of EVERYONE who DOESN'T work in advertising to confirm your assessment that the iAd App is a 'Pile of Sh**'? Add to that, your Burger King analogy is invalid because you can't possibly claim that EVERYONE hates Burger King. The only claim you could possibly make from any of this is that the majority of MacRumors forum members commenting on this post are grossly mis-informed and incredibly immature.
better than being angry over someone elses opinion.
7o7munoz7o7
Dec 13, 04:59 PM
On your first point: It is also the company that came out with the iphone 4 and its antenna problems.
Your second point: Don't you think Verizon would take the oppurtunity to give apple what they really want over the Android phones: The first 4g phone on Verizon network. That would be a huge advantage. Just because the network isnt fully up yet doesn't mean Verizon couldn't have given apple the tech to make a 4g iphone. Verizon see android phone sales dropping and know that an iphone would boost sales by a huge amount.
Your third point: It would only be one chip, read the article for reference. How do you know how much battery it uses? It may be only a small amount more than 3g. Att's 3g sucked when the 3g iphone came out. It still sucks. Don't underestimate apple and verizon. You may be surprised!
Edit: By no means am a I acknowledging the merit or lack there of of this article
What iPhone 4 Antenna Problem?
Your second point: Don't you think Verizon would take the oppurtunity to give apple what they really want over the Android phones: The first 4g phone on Verizon network. That would be a huge advantage. Just because the network isnt fully up yet doesn't mean Verizon couldn't have given apple the tech to make a 4g iphone. Verizon see android phone sales dropping and know that an iphone would boost sales by a huge amount.
Your third point: It would only be one chip, read the article for reference. How do you know how much battery it uses? It may be only a small amount more than 3g. Att's 3g sucked when the 3g iphone came out. It still sucks. Don't underestimate apple and verizon. You may be surprised!
Edit: By no means am a I acknowledging the merit or lack there of of this article
What iPhone 4 Antenna Problem?
No comments:
Post a Comment