entropys
Apr 20, 03:26 AM
I find it hard to believe that the next iphone won't turn up until September if Apple is only shoehorning in a current production processor and maybe a spec upgrade on the camera. So it is obviously about LTE.
If not, then this is all some sort of elaborate canary trap or disinformation campaign. Thus the iphone will still be released in July and we get to hear about some leaker that got fired.
If not, then this is all some sort of elaborate canary trap or disinformation campaign. Thus the iphone will still be released in July and we get to hear about some leaker that got fired.
hystery
Apr 23, 06:16 PM
Retina Cinema in Summer?
b166er
Mar 27, 02:14 AM
I'll gladly wait 3/4 months if we get all the much needed upgrades we've been waiting for. I doubt they will release the iPhone 5 and iOS 5 separately.
ProwlingTiger
Apr 7, 12:16 PM
+1 for Apple
Anyone saying they are a monopoly or anti-competitive should actually learn what those terms actually mean before throwing them around.
Haters gonna hate.
Anyone saying they are a monopoly or anti-competitive should actually learn what those terms actually mean before throwing them around.
Haters gonna hate.
islanders
Jul 23, 02:50 PM
I lost my post up above. So, I�ll try and rephrase.
I don�t think we will see any portables with Merom for MWDC.
Don�t expect Apple to announce early then be up to 6 weeks behind demand on delivery. This could attract negative publicity, negative image.
Historically, Apple has been reluctant to upgrade portable lines, especially ibook, that had strong sales.
Anyone waiting for MBP Merom should be prepared to wait until November/December.
Apple is advertising stability, user friendly, integration with digital cameras�
As far as the transition into Intel, it must be going as well as could be expected. Apple may want to keep their powder dry and update when there is a falter in sales, or just before.
They may wait to update everything at once, November/December, which will give smooth sailing into next year when 3rd party apps will be fully developed.
I also don�t think we will see another 12� MBP.
I don�t think we will see any portables with Merom for MWDC.
Don�t expect Apple to announce early then be up to 6 weeks behind demand on delivery. This could attract negative publicity, negative image.
Historically, Apple has been reluctant to upgrade portable lines, especially ibook, that had strong sales.
Anyone waiting for MBP Merom should be prepared to wait until November/December.
Apple is advertising stability, user friendly, integration with digital cameras�
As far as the transition into Intel, it must be going as well as could be expected. Apple may want to keep their powder dry and update when there is a falter in sales, or just before.
They may wait to update everything at once, November/December, which will give smooth sailing into next year when 3rd party apps will be fully developed.
I also don�t think we will see another 12� MBP.
Scottgfx
May 6, 01:43 AM
Isn't ARM a RISC processor? We just switched from RISC to CISC. And now we're going back?
If my understanding of processor architectures are correct, the CISC processors have become a hybrid. There's a core part that is probably more similar to a RISC and a pre-processor that translates the CISC operations to the core. At least this was my understanding of the AMD Thunderbird chips from 10+ years ago. RISC chips moved in a similar and opposite direction, adding more instructions. Kind of counter to the original idea of RISC.
If my understanding of processor architectures are correct, the CISC processors have become a hybrid. There's a core part that is probably more similar to a RISC and a pre-processor that translates the CISC operations to the core. At least this was my understanding of the AMD Thunderbird chips from 10+ years ago. RISC chips moved in a similar and opposite direction, adding more instructions. Kind of counter to the original idea of RISC.
bella92108
Apr 5, 02:44 PM
I tip my hat to you that you still buy your software when Jailbroken phones can easily use pirated software.
I think you'd be surprised how many people like me are out there. I support developers, regardless if they're developing on the App Store, or the Cydia Store, because they're both working equally hard.
The only reason I jailbreak my device is for the visual tweaks... well and NOSPOT, lol, I hate that crap.
I think you'd be surprised how many people like me are out there. I support developers, regardless if they're developing on the App Store, or the Cydia Store, because they're both working equally hard.
The only reason I jailbreak my device is for the visual tweaks... well and NOSPOT, lol, I hate that crap.
QCassidy352
Jul 21, 02:45 PM
I 2nd this.
Why not update them too? I understand that the MBP is PRO but still. What would the MB's be getting then as far as an update at some point?
oh, the MB will get Merom, probably just not for a little while. The MBP has been shipping for 6 months, the MB for only 2. The MBP looks a little weak on price/performance compared to similar PC laptops; the MB holds up very well in price/performance comparisons. The MB is still selling so well apple can hardly keep the white models in stock, whereas demand for the MBP is much lower.
So rest assured, the MB will see Merom, but the MBP will see it first. Probably soon. :)
Why not update them too? I understand that the MBP is PRO but still. What would the MB's be getting then as far as an update at some point?
oh, the MB will get Merom, probably just not for a little while. The MBP has been shipping for 6 months, the MB for only 2. The MBP looks a little weak on price/performance compared to similar PC laptops; the MB holds up very well in price/performance comparisons. The MB is still selling so well apple can hardly keep the white models in stock, whereas demand for the MBP is much lower.
So rest assured, the MB will see Merom, but the MBP will see it first. Probably soon. :)
Chase R
Nov 4, 07:21 PM
I'm actually not too thrilled to see this. Mac OS X does NOT need virus protection. Companies like this make OS X seem like it's prone to viruses.
ksgant
May 4, 05:29 PM
keep in mind, right now exactly 0% of the products sold on the app store will run without the OS already installed.
I didn't know this. You mean I have to have an OS installed before I play Angry Birds?
I didn't know this. You mean I have to have an OS installed before I play Angry Birds?
Piggie
Apr 24, 05:57 AM
That issue could have been largely solved if they had just faced a standard high end GPU with the intake facing towards the back and the exhaust on the side. But Apple is too vain to put a vent on the rear of the iMac to accomodate the intake of a high quality GPU, let alone a slim exhaust vent on the side.
If they had simply used a standard GPU like that it would have opened up quality gaming on the Mac and made it simple to upgrade to newer cards so that people didn't have to chuck the entire computer every time they wanted a new video card.
I'm sure you are right.
Given a bit of good design work on Apples part, when I say good design I mean, technically good as opposed to artistically good.
And in conjunction with Nvidea/ATI (personally I still like Nvidea as they seem more on the ball with Tessalation and Cuda programming for offloading CPU work onto the GPU)
A "Spread out" design, given the large rear metal surface are of an iMac and a few very neat vents to pull in cool air using a slow well designed fan, from the side or bottom and exhausting the warm air on the other side/top could be well within technical possibilities. And would address the weak spot Apple have had for a decade or two.
But, as has been said, Apple seem to fear this market as they seem to think they can't compete, and if you know you can't compete it's best not to enter the race. They want to go for poorer quality graphics, or we can use the term that sounds better than that.
The casual gamer.
Quite why this Apple created concept to cover their weak point should be happy with less quality/detail is unsure to me.
It's like saying people what watch films all the time and enjoy them should have the best picture quality we can deliver.
However, those who just watch the occasional movie should be happier with a lower quality image.
Kind of a strange concept when you think about it. and really we should all accept it's just a created excuse to excuse away a weak area as I said.
But, as you quite rightly said. Apple are too vein to spoil, in their mind the cosmetic look of an iMac by adding in cooling slits to allow for higher end graphics cards.
A shame really as if they had taken graphics a lot more seriously 15 or 20 years ago, they could be kings of this sector now.
If they had simply used a standard GPU like that it would have opened up quality gaming on the Mac and made it simple to upgrade to newer cards so that people didn't have to chuck the entire computer every time they wanted a new video card.
I'm sure you are right.
Given a bit of good design work on Apples part, when I say good design I mean, technically good as opposed to artistically good.
And in conjunction with Nvidea/ATI (personally I still like Nvidea as they seem more on the ball with Tessalation and Cuda programming for offloading CPU work onto the GPU)
A "Spread out" design, given the large rear metal surface are of an iMac and a few very neat vents to pull in cool air using a slow well designed fan, from the side or bottom and exhausting the warm air on the other side/top could be well within technical possibilities. And would address the weak spot Apple have had for a decade or two.
But, as has been said, Apple seem to fear this market as they seem to think they can't compete, and if you know you can't compete it's best not to enter the race. They want to go for poorer quality graphics, or we can use the term that sounds better than that.
The casual gamer.
Quite why this Apple created concept to cover their weak point should be happy with less quality/detail is unsure to me.
It's like saying people what watch films all the time and enjoy them should have the best picture quality we can deliver.
However, those who just watch the occasional movie should be happier with a lower quality image.
Kind of a strange concept when you think about it. and really we should all accept it's just a created excuse to excuse away a weak area as I said.
But, as you quite rightly said. Apple are too vein to spoil, in their mind the cosmetic look of an iMac by adding in cooling slits to allow for higher end graphics cards.
A shame really as if they had taken graphics a lot more seriously 15 or 20 years ago, they could be kings of this sector now.
triceretops
Apr 25, 10:12 AM
That has to be pretty boring data from my phone. Home - Office - Home - Office - Home - Office - Gas Station - Home (repeat as necessary).:(

kuwxman
Nov 4, 06:34 AM
Sophos is terrible on Windows; why would anyone want to install that garbage on their Mac? :confused:
Zadillo
Aug 4, 04:11 PM
Because the TX is thicker than the MBP...at least in the area of the optical drive. (Sony likes to use the tapered design that's thinner toward front edge and thicker near the back edge...it's always looked weird to me.)
OK, that doesn't make sense to me though. The dimensions of the Sony TX series are 0.82"-1.12" thick, with the thick part being the back half of it (where the battery, etc. are).... the tapered design you mentioned.
But the optical drive is right in the front of it, so that would be in the area that is only 0.82" thin or so:
http://dynamism.com/images/gallery/imgtx92_28.jpg
http://dynamism.com/images/gallery/imgtx92_10.jpg
-Zadillo
OK, that doesn't make sense to me though. The dimensions of the Sony TX series are 0.82"-1.12" thick, with the thick part being the back half of it (where the battery, etc. are).... the tapered design you mentioned.
But the optical drive is right in the front of it, so that would be in the area that is only 0.82" thin or so:
http://dynamism.com/images/gallery/imgtx92_28.jpg
http://dynamism.com/images/gallery/imgtx92_10.jpg
-Zadillo
HiVolt
Apr 21, 05:22 PM
It would be nice. As I'm forced to use a Mac Pro with no redundancy at work to run some Mac specific software. At least my rack is wide enough, I slide in thru the side and on a shelf.
A 3U-4U Mac Pro with optional redundant PSU and hardware RAID5 would be great. We would certainly buy one at work.
A 3U-4U Mac Pro with optional redundant PSU and hardware RAID5 would be great. We would certainly buy one at work.
nuckinfutz
May 7, 11:32 AM
OK, I'll grant you that MobileMe doesn't suck as much as I make it sound. I just don't like it and so I don't use it anymore. Fair enough.
But, I think you misunderstand how Google's ads work. They aren't indexing and storing your emails in some data bank to sell off to ad companies. They do simple pattern matching on the text in your email to figure out which ads are most relevant and then displays those to you. The ad companies don't have access to your emails and can't read them, etc. I'm not being capitalized. If I don't want the ads I can pay $50 / year, or I can take the ads for free. That's just business, I enter into that in full agreement. And I trust Google just as much (if not more) than some random schmo ISP that would give me shoddy email service and just as much privacy as Google does but without the ads.
Point taken but what kind of FOOL am I to trade my privacy to Google for a paltry $6 at any level?
Where you go, who you speak to and how you communicate is of tremendous value and I recommend that people think about actual value. We're moving from this era where the expectation should be that Cloud services at a basic level should be incorporated into the product without the vendor resorting to advertisements.
Google and Facebook have both come out with disturbing revelations about how they feel about consumer privacy. I think the beauty of the web is that no company is irreplaceable. I could continue to get email, online calendar, pictures, documents and more without Google and that's a great feeling.
But, I think you misunderstand how Google's ads work. They aren't indexing and storing your emails in some data bank to sell off to ad companies. They do simple pattern matching on the text in your email to figure out which ads are most relevant and then displays those to you. The ad companies don't have access to your emails and can't read them, etc. I'm not being capitalized. If I don't want the ads I can pay $50 / year, or I can take the ads for free. That's just business, I enter into that in full agreement. And I trust Google just as much (if not more) than some random schmo ISP that would give me shoddy email service and just as much privacy as Google does but without the ads.
Point taken but what kind of FOOL am I to trade my privacy to Google for a paltry $6 at any level?
Where you go, who you speak to and how you communicate is of tremendous value and I recommend that people think about actual value. We're moving from this era where the expectation should be that Cloud services at a basic level should be incorporated into the product without the vendor resorting to advertisements.
Google and Facebook have both come out with disturbing revelations about how they feel about consumer privacy. I think the beauty of the web is that no company is irreplaceable. I could continue to get email, online calendar, pictures, documents and more without Google and that's a great feeling.
uber_nerd
Apr 23, 05:45 PM
The basic fact is vector graphics aren't always appropriate. A lot of things really can only be done, or can be done much better, with pixels. For any image with a lot of detail, it's easier -- both for the artists making them, and for the computers rendering them -- to store an extremely high resolution bitmapped image, and then downscale it as necessary, than it is to make and render a vectorized version that is "truly" resolution independent.
And now Apple's realized that by targeting "Retina Display" resolution levels, this is the last increase in image sizes they'll ever reasonably need: there's no point in making images bigger beyond this point (or displays with higher-than-retina-level DPI one would need to render them) because your eyes really won't be able to tell the difference.
See above for the win!
It will be the last big change for mouse driven interfaces. Even if retina size monitors become massive (e.g. 50 inch) the physical size of an icon on the screen will remain the same as today. Increasing resolution beyond "retina" is pointless, it would only play to pixel-peeping freaks with magnifying glasses - hardly a profitable segment of society.
Same reason print resolution has not increased in a long long time. Once printing resolution matured there were other things to focus on (colour, contrast, etc). Same will play out for computer monitors.
And now Apple's realized that by targeting "Retina Display" resolution levels, this is the last increase in image sizes they'll ever reasonably need: there's no point in making images bigger beyond this point (or displays with higher-than-retina-level DPI one would need to render them) because your eyes really won't be able to tell the difference.
See above for the win!
It will be the last big change for mouse driven interfaces. Even if retina size monitors become massive (e.g. 50 inch) the physical size of an icon on the screen will remain the same as today. Increasing resolution beyond "retina" is pointless, it would only play to pixel-peeping freaks with magnifying glasses - hardly a profitable segment of society.
Same reason print resolution has not increased in a long long time. Once printing resolution matured there were other things to focus on (colour, contrast, etc). Same will play out for computer monitors.
jrtc27
May 6, 02:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)
Please Apple, don't do this. You are just finishing the transition from PowerPC to Intel by removing Rosetta from Lion and you're already planning on switching architectures again. Are they TRYING to fragment their Macs?
Please Apple, don't do this. You are just finishing the transition from PowerPC to Intel by removing Rosetta from Lion and you're already planning on switching architectures again. Are they TRYING to fragment their Macs?
Multimedia
Aug 11, 10:49 PM
I disagree with you on this. I agree with you on the MBP. Apple just revved the specs of their displays and they also released the education iMac. I think the iMac is a homerun for Apple on the desktop. Obviously the strongest Apple product right now is the MacBook. But while I think you're right on with the MBP, I think they will find a way to update the iMac for new, faster processors while retaining the current design/enclosure. Even if it has Merom inside. After all they could rev it to Merom 2.1 and 2.3 and some nice new features and I don't think many people will complain. (Alright some will complain, they always do, but that's beside the point).
I would bet Conroe is the single processor option for Mac Pros to fill out the mid-range desktop line. The Mac Pro starts at $2,499 and that's way too expensive. I'm thinking there's going to be something to fill the gap between $1,499 and $2,499. That's where Conroe comes in.I hope you're right. My scenario is excluding the idea Apple will fill in that sub $2k tower hole they seem to be neglecting a LOT. :eek: Would make a lot of sense for them to simply extend the Mac Pro enclosure down into that space with Conroes. Mac Pro expandability is really fantastic. A Conroe motherboard in that same case would be the ticket. Or a cheaper enclosure with the same expadability capacity would work. I would hate to see them offer a Conroe Mac with less expadability inside.
I would bet Conroe is the single processor option for Mac Pros to fill out the mid-range desktop line. The Mac Pro starts at $2,499 and that's way too expensive. I'm thinking there's going to be something to fill the gap between $1,499 and $2,499. That's where Conroe comes in.I hope you're right. My scenario is excluding the idea Apple will fill in that sub $2k tower hole they seem to be neglecting a LOT. :eek: Would make a lot of sense for them to simply extend the Mac Pro enclosure down into that space with Conroes. Mac Pro expandability is really fantastic. A Conroe motherboard in that same case would be the ticket. Or a cheaper enclosure with the same expadability capacity would work. I would hate to see them offer a Conroe Mac with less expadability inside.
mjaco002
Apr 18, 03:46 PM
x2, very lame move apple.
Have you seen those phones?
When I saw them I thought for second they were actual iPhones.
Have you seen those phones?
When I saw them I thought for second they were actual iPhones.
ArizonaKid
Jul 23, 12:05 AM
recent AppleInsider story[/url] had indicated that Intel may have plans to move up Merom's formal launch to next Monday, July 23rd, to coincide with the Core 2 Duo Desktop variant ("Conroe") launch.
Monday is the 24th. This is the third post on this. How long does it take for an admin to correct a simple mistake?
Monday is the 24th. This is the third post on this. How long does it take for an admin to correct a simple mistake?
LouieSamman
Apr 20, 01:25 AM
So many has bought an iPhone 4. At&t and Verzion.
We all are on a 2 year contract.
This being a spec update only people still with the 3GS or huge fanboys would buy the iPhone 5.
So I wonder that maybe this new iPhone coming out won't be great on sales.
iPhone 6th generation is where it's at. Many iPhone 4 users, fanboys, and those still with their 3G or 3GS iPhones would grab the iPhone 6. Sale numbers would be high.
I am a fanboy of Apple but in being a college student I have to watch the money I spent and spending the extra cash to update to a new iPhone while on a 2 year contract isn't a wise choice for me.
I first would need to see how much the upgrade to a new iPhone would cost me with my 2 year contract. Since it has been a year, the cost probably went down.
What would entice me to get the iPhone 5 is if the upgrade fee isn't too bad, the iPhone 5 has a spectacular camera, and a huge noticeable difference in speed.
I'm getting iOS 5 whether I get the iPhone 5 or not since I have an iPhone 4 and that could be ideal for me until the iPhone 6 comes out but I will have to wait and see on the iPhone 5.
I believe many people is thinking the same way as I am.
We all are on a 2 year contract.
This being a spec update only people still with the 3GS or huge fanboys would buy the iPhone 5.
So I wonder that maybe this new iPhone coming out won't be great on sales.
iPhone 6th generation is where it's at. Many iPhone 4 users, fanboys, and those still with their 3G or 3GS iPhones would grab the iPhone 6. Sale numbers would be high.
I am a fanboy of Apple but in being a college student I have to watch the money I spent and spending the extra cash to update to a new iPhone while on a 2 year contract isn't a wise choice for me.
I first would need to see how much the upgrade to a new iPhone would cost me with my 2 year contract. Since it has been a year, the cost probably went down.
What would entice me to get the iPhone 5 is if the upgrade fee isn't too bad, the iPhone 5 has a spectacular camera, and a huge noticeable difference in speed.
I'm getting iOS 5 whether I get the iPhone 5 or not since I have an iPhone 4 and that could be ideal for me until the iPhone 6 comes out but I will have to wait and see on the iPhone 5.
I believe many people is thinking the same way as I am.
-aggie-
May 3, 11:58 AM
I'm in.
Please move all the relevant responses to DP's questions to the OP. If it's not in the OP, I don't consider it to be a rule. Maybe I'm a minority, but I'm not going to read through pages of this thread trying to figure things out.
Please move all the relevant responses to DP's questions to the OP. If it's not in the OP, I don't consider it to be a rule. Maybe I'm a minority, but I'm not going to read through pages of this thread trying to figure things out.
ABernardoJr
Apr 18, 03:23 PM
LG was first (before iPhone) to release smart phone with capacitive screen and UI that looks suspiciously close to iPhone. Here is Prada:
http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/PRADA-Phone-LG-KE850-1.jpg
If Apple prevails in court. LG would be stupid not to sue Apple (and they would probably get more money considering iPhone volumes).
Do you honestly think that even strikes anything close to a sufficient resemblance to the iPhone UI?
http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/PRADA-Phone-LG-KE850-1.jpg
If Apple prevails in court. LG would be stupid not to sue Apple (and they would probably get more money considering iPhone volumes).
Do you honestly think that even strikes anything close to a sufficient resemblance to the iPhone UI?
No comments:
Post a Comment