stridle
Nov 18, 06:50 AM
Apparently it's all TomTom, I found another site that said they were supposed to receive their shipment on the 17th as well and that the supplier has yet to update them.
http://www.provantage.com/tomtom-9uob-017-00~ATOMT043.htm
This all seems like a huge foul up for TomTom. First they promise to release this thing months ago, and it's still not widely available. Now there are talks of google releasing a free navigation app. TomTom is going to miss some large amounts of revenue with this manufacturing miscue.
I will probably still buy the mount, which in my eyes, for $87 is a great value. I will definitely be waiting for a free google app though. If I could have purchased the mount two months ago I would have bought the app, silly TomTom.
http://www.provantage.com/tomtom-9uob-017-00~ATOMT043.htm
This all seems like a huge foul up for TomTom. First they promise to release this thing months ago, and it's still not widely available. Now there are talks of google releasing a free navigation app. TomTom is going to miss some large amounts of revenue with this manufacturing miscue.
I will probably still buy the mount, which in my eyes, for $87 is a great value. I will definitely be waiting for a free google app though. If I could have purchased the mount two months ago I would have bought the app, silly TomTom.
quinney
Apr 5, 02:37 PM
So uh what exactly would Toyota lose if they tell Apple to stick it? At best all I can guess are licenses to use use an iPod trademark or something similar to integrate into the car stereo, if they even have that option. I can't think of anything else.
Hundreds of millions of iPods have been sold, and people want to be able to control them through their cars' audio systems. Toyota knows the importance of this by the number of people who go into their showrooms and ask if their cars have this feature. I think it is really quite important and may be a deciding feature for people who are comparing cars of different brands, which are otherwise quite similar. Toyota is making a good business decision.
Hundreds of millions of iPods have been sold, and people want to be able to control them through their cars' audio systems. Toyota knows the importance of this by the number of people who go into their showrooms and ask if their cars have this feature. I think it is really quite important and may be a deciding feature for people who are comparing cars of different brands, which are otherwise quite similar. Toyota is making a good business decision.
Benjy91
Apr 25, 09:38 AM
He's saying Apple do not keep records of your location.
Why would they want to know where their customers are?
It's already been discovered Android phones keep a record of their movements in an identical way to iPhone.
Why would they want to know where their customers are?
It's already been discovered Android phones keep a record of their movements in an identical way to iPhone.
balamw
Apr 11, 01:06 AM
Surely we should not interpret everything following the first division symbol as belonging in the denominator, including an additional fraction.
You've just stumbled on a new notation for continued fractions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continued_fraction). Oh wait, we already have better ways of representing that.
:p
The only way it would be 288 is if it was written:
48/[2(9+3)]
Where do the square brackets fall in your interpretation of PE(MD)(AS) + left to right? And how in the name of all that is holy can you interpret that as giving 288 instead of 2. Wouldn't 288 require [2(9+3)] to evaluate to (1/6) so the final answer would be 48*6 = 228. I would have expected [48/2](9+3).
B
You've just stumbled on a new notation for continued fractions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continued_fraction). Oh wait, we already have better ways of representing that.
:p
The only way it would be 288 is if it was written:
48/[2(9+3)]
Where do the square brackets fall in your interpretation of PE(MD)(AS) + left to right? And how in the name of all that is holy can you interpret that as giving 288 instead of 2. Wouldn't 288 require [2(9+3)] to evaluate to (1/6) so the final answer would be 48*6 = 228. I would have expected [48/2](9+3).
B
sinsin07
Apr 25, 08:58 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)
I don't get the big deal about it. If you want to be anonymous, get off fb, twitter, macrumors, etc. Then cancel all Internet plans you have and your cellular plan. Then no one will ever know where you are unless you tell them.
Too late for that: http://www.spokeo.com/
I don't get the big deal about it. If you want to be anonymous, get off fb, twitter, macrumors, etc. Then cancel all Internet plans you have and your cellular plan. Then no one will ever know where you are unless you tell them.
Too late for that: http://www.spokeo.com/
CalBoy
May 3, 09:14 PM
Semantics. Your argument boils down to the pain of change.
Again, the real crux of your argument is that people are 'comfortable' with what they already know. If you were to put that aside and judge between the two systems objectively, I can't see how anyone would actually choose imperial over metric. Metric is the future. No, check that � it's actually the present. You're living in the past Tomorrow.
This reminds me of the Dvorack keyboard layout vs the familiar QWERTY.
The Dvorack is objectively superior because it allows for higher wpm speeds than QWERTY. At the time of keyboard construction, however, Dvorack was prone to a lot more jamming by typists who were too fast for the physical limitations of the machine. Obviously that isn't a problem in the digital era, so logically we should switch to Dvorack if were had the option of starting from the beginning.
But, we're not starting from the beginning, are we? At this point switching to a new keyboard layout would be a huge undertaking for perhaps minimal gain.
The same applies to the metric system. At best it can offer minimal gains for the average person (something which, as I have pointed out above, may not be true in all cases) while costing a great deal. Even in the best of times, I think it would foolish to squander billions over such a petty thing when companies are free to shift production to be maximally efficient for themselves. If a company will make more money (or save it) using metric, then it will. There's no need to mandate it across every facet of life.
I mean, it's not as if we prevent companies from selling goods in metric quantities; if that was the case, then you'd have a good point.
Again, the real crux of your argument is that people are 'comfortable' with what they already know. If you were to put that aside and judge between the two systems objectively, I can't see how anyone would actually choose imperial over metric. Metric is the future. No, check that � it's actually the present. You're living in the past Tomorrow.
This reminds me of the Dvorack keyboard layout vs the familiar QWERTY.
The Dvorack is objectively superior because it allows for higher wpm speeds than QWERTY. At the time of keyboard construction, however, Dvorack was prone to a lot more jamming by typists who were too fast for the physical limitations of the machine. Obviously that isn't a problem in the digital era, so logically we should switch to Dvorack if were had the option of starting from the beginning.
But, we're not starting from the beginning, are we? At this point switching to a new keyboard layout would be a huge undertaking for perhaps minimal gain.
The same applies to the metric system. At best it can offer minimal gains for the average person (something which, as I have pointed out above, may not be true in all cases) while costing a great deal. Even in the best of times, I think it would foolish to squander billions over such a petty thing when companies are free to shift production to be maximally efficient for themselves. If a company will make more money (or save it) using metric, then it will. There's no need to mandate it across every facet of life.
I mean, it's not as if we prevent companies from selling goods in metric quantities; if that was the case, then you'd have a good point.
MovieCutter
Aug 4, 11:35 AM
How many people plan to dump their Core Duo Macs for Core 2 Duo Macs?
Already sold my MBP 17" and my 20" iMac and are shipping them out this weekend...he he he.
Then again, I have two reasons to have the latest and greatest shiny new thing.
1) I have a terrible disease that causes me to do this.
2) I edit everything from 30 second commercial spots to feature length documentaries and I need to have all the speed I can get.
Already sold my MBP 17" and my 20" iMac and are shipping them out this weekend...he he he.
Then again, I have two reasons to have the latest and greatest shiny new thing.
1) I have a terrible disease that causes me to do this.
2) I edit everything from 30 second commercial spots to feature length documentaries and I need to have all the speed I can get.
centauratlas
Mar 29, 02:48 PM
I agree. Given the last Ford we purchased leaked and after 6 months of trying to fix it, the Ford dealer said "well, everything leaks" and said they'd give a good deal on it to trade it in if we wanted. And the last GM we had stalled every morning when you were pulling out on to the road and the dealer said that it was "just the way the car was made," and could never fix it I wouldn't buy an American made car unless they started getting good reports both for quality upfront (they just sound cheap compared to a Honda, Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche, or Toyota) and for quality over 5-6+ years of ownership. And the previous American made cars we had were of similar low quality.
So for the last 11 years, I've been buying non-American. It is too bad, but the quality is not there. I even looked at one with a friend in November and it was the same deal.
An iPhone made in the US would be double the price due to high taxes and regulation. Quality, who knows, but the cost would be prohibitive compared to everyone else. It would be the fastest way for Apple to kill itself. If Apple *could* do it, they would, but it is impossible.
It is competition - if you can't compete on quality or price, you are out of luck. Unless you can get a handout.
Quality would probably go down.
So for the last 11 years, I've been buying non-American. It is too bad, but the quality is not there. I even looked at one with a friend in November and it was the same deal.
An iPhone made in the US would be double the price due to high taxes and regulation. Quality, who knows, but the cost would be prohibitive compared to everyone else. It would be the fastest way for Apple to kill itself. If Apple *could* do it, they would, but it is impossible.
It is competition - if you can't compete on quality or price, you are out of luck. Unless you can get a handout.
Quality would probably go down.
webman2k
Apr 7, 10:34 AM
All your screens are belong to us.
shaolindave
May 4, 04:37 PM
Many people have already said in this thread that you can already easily move an app from one machine to another. You just need to log in with your iTunes/App Store account.
however, nobody has said in this thread how to log in with your iTunes/App Store account on a machine that doesn't have an OS, and I have a feeling I'll need to do that at least once.
however, nobody has said in this thread how to log in with your iTunes/App Store account on a machine that doesn't have an OS, and I have a feeling I'll need to do that at least once.
MattSepeta
Apr 14, 04:33 PM
I think we can all agree that there is a lot of waste in government. The fact is, a lot of it is hard to find. At this point in our financial situation, I agree with across the board cuts. After that, then you continue to cut, where it makes sense, surgically.
Yep. If you are 600lbs overweight, you can afford to (and certainly should) cut fat from your head to your toes. Don'[t cut your head OFF, simply trim it.
Not hard to understand.
Yep. If you are 600lbs overweight, you can afford to (and certainly should) cut fat from your head to your toes. Don'[t cut your head OFF, simply trim it.
Not hard to understand.
w_parietti22
Jul 30, 01:16 AM
Please dont call it an "iPhone" that is so... no. if it was called iPhone I dont think that I would buy it. if it was MacPhone Pro or something like that than maybe... ;). No but please dont name it either of those. Come up with something new and original.
poppe
Aug 3, 11:42 PM
Wow! Tip of the hat to Apple and Intel. But why aren't the Blue Man on my TV selling the Core 2 Duo? Somebody tell them to put the LSD away and get to a studio.
And of course, nobody's talking about the elephant in the room. These new chips are SIXTY FOUR BIT BABY. Is 32-bit the new G4? Cuz we all know the G4 is the new G3.
64-bit OSX by the end of the year perhaps? With quadruple binaries to support the G4, the G5, the Core Duo, and the Core Duo 2? Or will Apple deny us our 64-bit freedom?
64 Bit has been talked alot about. There is a thread called 64 Bit Core Duo (why not core 2 duo, I don't know) acctually I think, but I know nothing about it so I can't comment. It won't make 32 bit things even close to G4. 64 Bit, from what i've read, isn't really optimized until two things: the operating system is ready to manage it, and the software is designed for it. The Core 2 duo will be faster than the core duo, but for multiple reasons and not only on the 64 bit computing.
And of course, nobody's talking about the elephant in the room. These new chips are SIXTY FOUR BIT BABY. Is 32-bit the new G4? Cuz we all know the G4 is the new G3.
64-bit OSX by the end of the year perhaps? With quadruple binaries to support the G4, the G5, the Core Duo, and the Core Duo 2? Or will Apple deny us our 64-bit freedom?
64 Bit has been talked alot about. There is a thread called 64 Bit Core Duo (why not core 2 duo, I don't know) acctually I think, but I know nothing about it so I can't comment. It won't make 32 bit things even close to G4. 64 Bit, from what i've read, isn't really optimized until two things: the operating system is ready to manage it, and the software is designed for it. The Core 2 duo will be faster than the core duo, but for multiple reasons and not only on the 64 bit computing.
TallManNY
Apr 7, 03:05 PM
That is over dramatic, cut it out.
Very funny.
Very funny.
techpr
May 7, 11:58 AM
Beter not be free or the SPAMMERS will get a new domain name to SPAM with. If Apple is going to do something is lower the price but NOT free.
My MobileMe experience has been great.
My MobileMe experience has been great.
killr_b
Aug 7, 03:27 PM
Nice!!! Most likely you made a wise decision to purchase your addional RAM and HD from a third party. Apple requires arms and legs for their optional upgrades. ;)
I like it to show up ready to go.
Plus, I know for sure the apple chosen ram will be flawless...
This is a rev. A. ;)
I like it to show up ready to go.
Plus, I know for sure the apple chosen ram will be flawless...
This is a rev. A. ;)
greenstork
Aug 2, 12:42 PM
(HDMI isn't really designed for computer displays)
I think that's kind of his point isn't it. I know I'd like to see more "media center" type features in my Mac.
I think that's kind of his point isn't it. I know I'd like to see more "media center" type features in my Mac.
marvel2
Nov 9, 04:47 PM
I ordered my TomTom car kit fro BLT this morning and got an email saying they will be in stock Nov 11th. Hopefully it ship then.
*edit*
Got a new email saying they wont receive them until Dec 2nd :'{
*edit*
Got a new email saying they wont receive them until Dec 2nd :'{
CalBoy
May 4, 07:01 PM
So what is a third of 13/16th of an inch? :)
Easy. 13/48ths of an inch.;)
A child's mind is amazingly attuned to learning language. Given the fascinating cultural and linguistic diversity in the world, I am envious. I would love to have learnt more than one language as a kid. It's so much harder to learn as an adult.
But I am not at all envious of you having to learn two systems of measurement. That kind of cultural diversity I can do without! Sure, your kids will be able to handle it, but why should they have to? Because your generation was too stuck in its ways to embrace positive change?
I really don't see much functional difference between a language and a system of measures. Both express specificity using prearranged syntax and values.
The one point you may have is that most households don't teach both to their kids because most households only use one or the other.
Even beyond that, if we were to adopt the metric system 100% starting tomorrow, the transition would have to last for decades not only to encompass those who are too old to be educated, but also to deal with the infrastructure changes that would have to take place. At the very earliest it would be my grandchildren who would see a fully metricized US.
The long-term advantages are:
1) Less freaking-out of kids who are weak in math. "If you have a stick that is 3' 7 13/16" and need to divide it into 3 equal sections, what is the length of the each section to the nearest 1/64 inch?" as opposed to "If you have a stick that 1233 mm long....." - and no, I didn't check to see if they are the same -
2) Same idea as above.... "If you have a tank filled with 450 cubic yards of water, and it is flowing out at a rate of 3 gallons a minute, how long does it take to empty?" as opposed to the metric system where 1000 litres of water is 1 cubic meter which is 1 tonne (approximately - since altitudes and temperatures affect the density of water).... but it's close enough for horseshoes....
This isn't an economic gain. It's a purely convenience gain for kids who probably should do some "difficult" math so they can get a strong grasp of the basics. They can use calculators and apps when they need to use their skills for larger applications.
3) Manufacturing. As the last industrialized country in the world still non-metric, do people really believe that there isn't a cost when a US factory has to retool to provide a product for export? Or understand that the cost of goods being imported from off-shore includes the cost of retooling for an non-metric customer? Do people not think that some small factories in the US have lost contracts to off-shore customers because they couldn't afford to switch to a metric size? And that some US factories have probably been forced to retool anyway when the sole supplier of a component wouldn't make a special run of non-metric fasteners?
And I don't dispute this element of the argument. Many manufacturers have already done this (why just yesterday I purchased cereal and chips in metric quantities), and they should keep switching to improve their bottom line.
Easy. 13/48ths of an inch.;)
A child's mind is amazingly attuned to learning language. Given the fascinating cultural and linguistic diversity in the world, I am envious. I would love to have learnt more than one language as a kid. It's so much harder to learn as an adult.
But I am not at all envious of you having to learn two systems of measurement. That kind of cultural diversity I can do without! Sure, your kids will be able to handle it, but why should they have to? Because your generation was too stuck in its ways to embrace positive change?
I really don't see much functional difference between a language and a system of measures. Both express specificity using prearranged syntax and values.
The one point you may have is that most households don't teach both to their kids because most households only use one or the other.
Even beyond that, if we were to adopt the metric system 100% starting tomorrow, the transition would have to last for decades not only to encompass those who are too old to be educated, but also to deal with the infrastructure changes that would have to take place. At the very earliest it would be my grandchildren who would see a fully metricized US.
The long-term advantages are:
1) Less freaking-out of kids who are weak in math. "If you have a stick that is 3' 7 13/16" and need to divide it into 3 equal sections, what is the length of the each section to the nearest 1/64 inch?" as opposed to "If you have a stick that 1233 mm long....." - and no, I didn't check to see if they are the same -
2) Same idea as above.... "If you have a tank filled with 450 cubic yards of water, and it is flowing out at a rate of 3 gallons a minute, how long does it take to empty?" as opposed to the metric system where 1000 litres of water is 1 cubic meter which is 1 tonne (approximately - since altitudes and temperatures affect the density of water).... but it's close enough for horseshoes....
This isn't an economic gain. It's a purely convenience gain for kids who probably should do some "difficult" math so they can get a strong grasp of the basics. They can use calculators and apps when they need to use their skills for larger applications.
3) Manufacturing. As the last industrialized country in the world still non-metric, do people really believe that there isn't a cost when a US factory has to retool to provide a product for export? Or understand that the cost of goods being imported from off-shore includes the cost of retooling for an non-metric customer? Do people not think that some small factories in the US have lost contracts to off-shore customers because they couldn't afford to switch to a metric size? And that some US factories have probably been forced to retool anyway when the sole supplier of a component wouldn't make a special run of non-metric fasteners?
And I don't dispute this element of the argument. Many manufacturers have already done this (why just yesterday I purchased cereal and chips in metric quantities), and they should keep switching to improve their bottom line.
iStudentUK
May 3, 06:17 AM
You think you've got it bad? In Britain we have
milk and beer by the pint
coke by the litre
roads by the mile
tablecloths/fabric etc by the metre
petrol/diesel by the litre
fuel efficiency is measured in miles per gallon but carbon emissions are measured in grams per kilometer.
weight of people in stones and pounds
sugar/flour etc in kilograms
fruit by the pound
cheese by grams
bread loaves are labelled in grams, bread rolls sold by the dozen.
height in feet and inches.
It is a mess here. I wish we would switch fully to metric. I think we are getting there, very slowly. For example, 15 years ago the weather used to always be in oC and then oF, now just oC is very common. Supermarkets sell fruit and veg with the per kg price much larger than per lb. The around the corner sells milk by the litre which is nice. More and more people are using metres and kilograms to measure their height and weight. Some things are more problematic, there are millions of pint glasses for beer and all our road signs would be a fortune to replace with kilometres!
The imperial system is crazy, but I think it will slowly but surely die out in the UK. Metric was pushed in about 40 years ago? Give it another 40 and I think we will be fully there!
Hopefully our American cousins will finally see sense and start talking in civilised speak soon.
milk and beer by the pint
coke by the litre
roads by the mile
tablecloths/fabric etc by the metre
petrol/diesel by the litre
fuel efficiency is measured in miles per gallon but carbon emissions are measured in grams per kilometer.
weight of people in stones and pounds
sugar/flour etc in kilograms
fruit by the pound
cheese by grams
bread loaves are labelled in grams, bread rolls sold by the dozen.
height in feet and inches.
It is a mess here. I wish we would switch fully to metric. I think we are getting there, very slowly. For example, 15 years ago the weather used to always be in oC and then oF, now just oC is very common. Supermarkets sell fruit and veg with the per kg price much larger than per lb. The around the corner sells milk by the litre which is nice. More and more people are using metres and kilograms to measure their height and weight. Some things are more problematic, there are millions of pint glasses for beer and all our road signs would be a fortune to replace with kilometres!
The imperial system is crazy, but I think it will slowly but surely die out in the UK. Metric was pushed in about 40 years ago? Give it another 40 and I think we will be fully there!
Hopefully our American cousins will finally see sense and start talking in civilised speak soon.
mrelwood
Mar 27, 10:55 AM
yet we have to wait months afterwards for the iOS update to take advantage of them?
Oh, but you have misunderstood. You'll be happy to hear that the iPhone 5 will be completely usable the day it is available.
And, why would they sell iPhone 5 without iOS 5? Thats just ... :confused:
Yeah! That would be almost like a MacBook Pro update without an OS update!
I'll be really pissed if they release another iPad in the fall.
Are stealing from you? Will it degrade your iPad2 functionality somehow?
_
Listen, guys. People keep complaining when Apple comes out with new products because they don't have the money to buy it. I'm a Mac addict myself, but luckily I'm not doing quite that bad. The graving we have for Apple products is the best prove that everything Apple does, product launch dates included, is already working perfectly for their financial gain. No reason to question anything, they'll make a killing no matter what.
Oh, but you have misunderstood. You'll be happy to hear that the iPhone 5 will be completely usable the day it is available.
And, why would they sell iPhone 5 without iOS 5? Thats just ... :confused:
Yeah! That would be almost like a MacBook Pro update without an OS update!
I'll be really pissed if they release another iPad in the fall.
Are stealing from you? Will it degrade your iPad2 functionality somehow?
_
Listen, guys. People keep complaining when Apple comes out with new products because they don't have the money to buy it. I'm a Mac addict myself, but luckily I'm not doing quite that bad. The graving we have for Apple products is the best prove that everything Apple does, product launch dates included, is already working perfectly for their financial gain. No reason to question anything, they'll make a killing no matter what.
ThunderSkunk
Mar 26, 10:09 PM
What crack-addled mind seriously thinks it'd be sensible or probable that Apple would come out with a new iPad 5 months after... coming out with a new iPad?
I mean, I suppose, if they just wanted to take the biggest splashiest attention grabber product they have and not bother capitalizing on all the time & money they spent on iPad2, and just completely hamfist the frickin thing up it's own arse for the sheer bloody hell of it, then yea, sure it makes total sense.
Also, the cloud is only as good as your connection, which is usually less than wonderful, especially with every frickin app in the appstore trying to stream everything it does over wifi, not to mention, god forbid, you actually have other computers in the house trying to send data over your network too. Open that physical USB bus up already! ...or better yet light peak connectivity...
I mean, I suppose, if they just wanted to take the biggest splashiest attention grabber product they have and not bother capitalizing on all the time & money they spent on iPad2, and just completely hamfist the frickin thing up it's own arse for the sheer bloody hell of it, then yea, sure it makes total sense.
Also, the cloud is only as good as your connection, which is usually less than wonderful, especially with every frickin app in the appstore trying to stream everything it does over wifi, not to mention, god forbid, you actually have other computers in the house trying to send data over your network too. Open that physical USB bus up already! ...or better yet light peak connectivity...
emotion
Aug 11, 10:22 AM
Well i know i can get the chip, but then don't i need a new motherboard too, and who/where would i get that put in?
No, the same chipset is used for Merom at this stage (Santa Rosa won't be around until next year). I think a firmware update might be needed but possibly not. Those Core Solo Mac Minis look good to me for a makeover.
No, the same chipset is used for Merom at this stage (Santa Rosa won't be around until next year). I think a firmware update might be needed but possibly not. Those Core Solo Mac Minis look good to me for a makeover.
Mac Fly (film)
Jul 22, 08:03 AM
I can't wait 'till WWCD :D
No comments:
Post a Comment