hobo.hopkins
Mar 30, 10:47 AM
The most dogmatic persons I have ever conversed with are evolutionists and atheists. Their decrying of religion is hilarious in view of the beliefs they present themselves. Faith. Credulity. Different words, often confused, often misapplied.
I think by definition religious individuals have to be considerably more dogmatic than atheists or evolutionists.
I think by definition religious individuals have to be considerably more dogmatic than atheists or evolutionists.
treysmay
Aug 7, 04:00 PM
no frontrow?
Detlev
Jul 30, 08:38 AM
- The obvious untapped area is integration of VoIP, 3G, & video - but all the big companies are looking at that. The other thing that most mobile companies are having trouble with is the killer app - so many phones have data connectivity, and people just don't know what to do with it. If Apple can make a compelling product there the phone companies will want to sell it.
ps. Apple might choose to make a phone with no music capability... just to delineate the product. That gives people something to understand... and then they can release the combo products.
Exactly. How could a non-player break open the market without the big companies support and infrastructure? It's not a computer that people want to carry around. It is an extremely simple to use, not bulky, communication device.
Using VoIP and 3G technology would be great but what service is ready to provide it in the U.S.? Apple is not going to sell cell phones to a few hundred people in three or four U.S. metropolitan markets and make money on it unless there is a way to open up the VoIP market BUT VoIP is going to get smothered in Washington politics soon enough so don't plan on that being free or useful (especially if NET NEUTRALITY is eliminated). A 3G phone would spark interest only from the standpoint that none of the networks could provide national (never mind international) service. It is a loosing proposition but I agree, they would have to differentiate it from other products (if it were real). Again the supposed photographer did not say it was an iPod phone. S/he would have made that observation.
Another thing about this mystery phone. Have there been any licenses pulled by Apple for telecommunications devices? There have been patents for all sorts of neat things but this would fall into a new category for them, would it not. Therefore there would be a rash of legal moves going on.
I'm skeptical of the whole cell phone idea. Would there be more use for a home phone or walkie talkie type radio, satellite, a computer phone accessory, or something else? I just don't see Apple providing hardware that gets limited distribution, where you would have to sign up for a two or three year service plan with yet another unreliable service provider that within a year or two will be merged into yet another, and a .Mac account if you do not have it yet, and the possibility that you have to cancel an existing contract with penalty. It just doesn't add up. It would be the most expensive cell phone/package on the market.
ps. Apple might choose to make a phone with no music capability... just to delineate the product. That gives people something to understand... and then they can release the combo products.
Exactly. How could a non-player break open the market without the big companies support and infrastructure? It's not a computer that people want to carry around. It is an extremely simple to use, not bulky, communication device.
Using VoIP and 3G technology would be great but what service is ready to provide it in the U.S.? Apple is not going to sell cell phones to a few hundred people in three or four U.S. metropolitan markets and make money on it unless there is a way to open up the VoIP market BUT VoIP is going to get smothered in Washington politics soon enough so don't plan on that being free or useful (especially if NET NEUTRALITY is eliminated). A 3G phone would spark interest only from the standpoint that none of the networks could provide national (never mind international) service. It is a loosing proposition but I agree, they would have to differentiate it from other products (if it were real). Again the supposed photographer did not say it was an iPod phone. S/he would have made that observation.
Another thing about this mystery phone. Have there been any licenses pulled by Apple for telecommunications devices? There have been patents for all sorts of neat things but this would fall into a new category for them, would it not. Therefore there would be a rash of legal moves going on.
I'm skeptical of the whole cell phone idea. Would there be more use for a home phone or walkie talkie type radio, satellite, a computer phone accessory, or something else? I just don't see Apple providing hardware that gets limited distribution, where you would have to sign up for a two or three year service plan with yet another unreliable service provider that within a year or two will be merged into yet another, and a .Mac account if you do not have it yet, and the possibility that you have to cancel an existing contract with penalty. It just doesn't add up. It would be the most expensive cell phone/package on the market.
CalBoy
May 3, 11:17 PM
Nope. Ask me what the cost advantage of wearing my Adidas runners over a pair of wooden clogs is when I go out. I couldn't tell you. But I can appreciate the obvious benefits of the metric system in theory and in practice without making it all about short-term financial gain, and I think you could too if you took the time to look at it objectively. I am just thankful my country made the difficult decision back in the 70s when my biggest challenge was learning to wee in the potty.
So then you can't speak to whether or not it would actually be cost effective for the country to switch.
As another commenter said, you owe your kids better.
I'm not convinced that my kids are any worse off. I grew up speaking two languages (hearing three) and using different types of measurements. I have confidence in my future children to be able to handle it like generations of Americans have before.
So then you can't speak to whether or not it would actually be cost effective for the country to switch.
As another commenter said, you owe your kids better.
I'm not convinced that my kids are any worse off. I grew up speaking two languages (hearing three) and using different types of measurements. I have confidence in my future children to be able to handle it like generations of Americans have before.
grockk
Aug 11, 10:31 AM
Makes no sense to put these in Macbook so soon. Macbook Pro, yes, but not the macbook. Apple have always differentiated the two lines, the fact that current Macbooks are comparable to the Pros is just plain luck and won't last long, IMO.
You are reasoning from apple's history but it's all different now. The problem with this logic is that since Dell, HP and Gateway will be using the merom in consumer computers and apple is using the same chips as everyone else they have to use merom too or appear to be behind in the technology.
You are reasoning from apple's history but it's all different now. The problem with this logic is that since Dell, HP and Gateway will be using the merom in consumer computers and apple is using the same chips as everyone else they have to use merom too or appear to be behind in the technology.
jamied95
Mar 28, 10:45 AM
Makes sense - WWDC is a developers conference and the iPhone is a consumer's device.
shaolindave
May 4, 05:48 PM
Wow, what a great job to completely and unfairly judge people.
I consider myself OCD level organized. One of the reasons why I am so organized (more so than ever now) is because much of my media and software have transitioned to digital.
You have a very negative spin on Apple's approach. Instead of "dumbing down", I'll call it "simplifying", and I absolutely welcome the change.
My family lost all their disc and some of mine. No matter how organized I am, so long as I have to do the 'family tech support' stuff, no disc is a plus.
I consider myself OCD level organized. One of the reasons why I am so organized (more so than ever now) is because much of my media and software have transitioned to digital.
You have a very negative spin on Apple's approach. Instead of "dumbing down", I'll call it "simplifying", and I absolutely welcome the change.
My family lost all their disc and some of mine. No matter how organized I am, so long as I have to do the 'family tech support' stuff, no disc is a plus.
BenRoethig
May 6, 07:23 AM
Makes sense in that apple could control their own destiny in chipsets and CPUs, but it just seems like the PowerPC days all over again.
Multimedia
Sep 10, 11:24 PM
I expect all of the above. Why not? Apple's on a roll now. Keep the steamroller rolling. :)
Plus the Mid-Tower Conroe Mac I think.
Plus the Mid-Tower Conroe Mac I think.
AppleIntelRock
Sep 16, 03:14 PM
some days i feel like a dell owner :(
JyveAFK
Apr 18, 03:48 PM
Image hotlinked from ; http://azsurplus.com/images/palm_zire_71_pda_4.JPG
but I see all this as obvious evolution from;
http://azsurplus.com/images/palm_zire_71_pda_4.JPG
Sure, it's capactive now, and higher rez, but it's still a bunch of scrollable icons on a phone to launch apps.
Wonder if the tablets they're going for are pre-honeycomb or post? It'd be hard to compare Honeycomb UI to anything Apple's currently doing, and any tablet prior to that, there's surely plenty of prior art android tablets? There were a whole bunch (admittedly lousy chinese cheap rubbish) tablets being demo'd at every tech conference for a year before Apple even admitted they had a tablet to sell.
The tablets have to be included I guess, but it's going to be hard work. The phones are the obvious vector they're going for, they do have UI patents, but when it comes down to it, and other phone manufacturers (or rather their lawyers) see how much money is involved, I can see it getting messy as everyone who had a phone with buttons on it (and there are many) will want to take a shot.
but I see all this as obvious evolution from;
http://azsurplus.com/images/palm_zire_71_pda_4.JPG
Sure, it's capactive now, and higher rez, but it's still a bunch of scrollable icons on a phone to launch apps.
Wonder if the tablets they're going for are pre-honeycomb or post? It'd be hard to compare Honeycomb UI to anything Apple's currently doing, and any tablet prior to that, there's surely plenty of prior art android tablets? There were a whole bunch (admittedly lousy chinese cheap rubbish) tablets being demo'd at every tech conference for a year before Apple even admitted they had a tablet to sell.
The tablets have to be included I guess, but it's going to be hard work. The phones are the obvious vector they're going for, they do have UI patents, but when it comes down to it, and other phone manufacturers (or rather their lawyers) see how much money is involved, I can see it getting messy as everyone who had a phone with buttons on it (and there are many) will want to take a shot.

buddyguyman
Apr 26, 04:38 PM
Does this really suprise anyone? There's only 1 current gen iphone available on 2 carriers in the US, whearas there's at least a dozen current Android phones on just about every carrier (even prepaids like Virgin Mobile).
edit: tl;dr more than first couple pages, and now I see this sentiment is expressed by others.
edit: tl;dr more than first couple pages, and now I see this sentiment is expressed by others.
LagunaSol
Apr 7, 04:51 PM
I'm not rooting for MS' demise -- far from it.
I am. Microsoft was the biggest barrier to technological innovation over the past couple of decades. I would be happy to see them absent from the new mobile computing OS world. Let them make apps. :)
I am. Microsoft was the biggest barrier to technological innovation over the past couple of decades. I would be happy to see them absent from the new mobile computing OS world. Let them make apps. :)
Moyank24
May 3, 08:53 PM
i second this motion. we could also split and move to and search two rooms, but it's probably best to wait for at least one up-level before we split.
which room is irrelevant.
another option, since from the GM's words the first round seems to be safe, would be to split in three groups: one goes to each of the adjacent rooms and then we all explore the thre next rooms. the next round we can converge back to the start room, explore it and be a single group again
the positive is that we find any treasure in the first 3 rooms, we expand the map, we also give less hint on where we can go next to mscriv.
the negative is that any treasure only applies to some of the people, and that we have to come back here to rejoin.

2011 Nissan Juke also offers a

2011 Nissan Juke

2011 Nissan Juke Black

2011 Nissan JUKE - Wheel

First Look: 2011 Nissan Juke
which room is irrelevant.
another option, since from the GM's words the first round seems to be safe, would be to split in three groups: one goes to each of the adjacent rooms and then we all explore the thre next rooms. the next round we can converge back to the start room, explore it and be a single group again
the positive is that we find any treasure in the first 3 rooms, we expand the map, we also give less hint on where we can go next to mscriv.
the negative is that any treasure only applies to some of the people, and that we have to come back here to rejoin.

k2k koos
Nov 26, 01:24 PM
I don't know what the rest of you are thinking, but I think this may tie in nicely with the iTV, control it from this new device, plus a whole lot more, and could even be the iPod for home use, streaming your music to the wireless speakers or anywhere else in the house.
Dim the lights, light up the fire, open the wine, put on the music, heck perhaps it even does the housework for you :-)
Dim the lights, light up the fire, open the wine, put on the music, heck perhaps it even does the housework for you :-)
Gosh
Nov 27, 05:38 PM
I think this will be and sooner than we might expect. Possibly announced in Jan and available alongside Leopard.
I can feel it in my water!
If the price is right it might not leave a place in the range for a Mac mini!
I can feel it in my water!
If the price is right it might not leave a place in the range for a Mac mini!

AvSRoCkCO1067
Jul 21, 02:51 PM
This may be a dumb question, but why would apple just use the new chips in mbp's and not the mb? Dosn't seem to make sense. As soon as core 2 merom comes out every pc notebook will have it. Price wouldn't be an issue cause merom is same price as yonah, correct?
Every PC Notebook? Eesh most of the notebooks my friends aren't purchasing (that aren't Macbooks - which is by far in the majority) have either AMD chips, P4 chips, or Pentium Mobile chips...
Apple has by far adopted Intel's new chips the fastest out of any other computer manufacturer I know - and hopefully they'll continue to do the same as Core 2 Duo chips are unveiled.
Every PC Notebook? Eesh most of the notebooks my friends aren't purchasing (that aren't Macbooks - which is by far in the majority) have either AMD chips, P4 chips, or Pentium Mobile chips...
Apple has by far adopted Intel's new chips the fastest out of any other computer manufacturer I know - and hopefully they'll continue to do the same as Core 2 Duo chips are unveiled.
ravenvii
May 4, 12:01 PM
CURRENT KNOWN MAP:
http://web.me.com/ravenvii/map/known.png
STATS:
1. Rosius: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
2. Dante: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
3. Beatrice: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
4. Rhon: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
5. Wilmer: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
6. Loras: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
7. Jorah: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
http://web.me.com/ravenvii/map/known.png
STATS:
1. Rosius: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
2. Dante: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
3. Beatrice: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
4. Rhon: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
5. Wilmer: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
6. Loras: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
7. Jorah: Level 1, 1 HP, 1 AP
maclaptop
Apr 20, 07:00 AM
The nice thing this time around is that everyone seems to have such low expectations that Apple can only meet or exceed them :D
Very well said :)
Very well said :)
dr Dunkel
Apr 20, 01:01 AM
It is not necessary it is not better, although I know some of you think anytime has anything with a bigger number in it you think Apple needs to follow. That is not how they work. They make whole devices, they don't just compile disparate parts with no real rhyme or reason.
But if it would have gotten the 4" screen it would have been just right, right? I love this "if Apple does something, it is great and if they don't, it's not needed anyway" - regardless of what it is... Haters gonna hate, but maniacs are blind.
But if it would have gotten the 4" screen it would have been just right, right? I love this "if Apple does something, it is great and if they don't, it's not needed anyway" - regardless of what it is... Haters gonna hate, but maniacs are blind.
mrgstiffler
Mar 30, 05:53 PM
So I guess that Gold Master rumor was wrong.
Everyone who used the first developer preview knew that rumor was flat wrong.
Everyone who used the first developer preview knew that rumor was flat wrong.
joeboy_45101
Jul 29, 10:03 PM
This sounds cool. Initially, though; I was kind of turned off by the idea of Apple doing a cellphone.
Unfortunately, I'm pulled back into thinking, "What could Apple do with phones that hasn't already been done." Small, light, photos, video, internet, music, games, personal organization? Most of this is pretty well covered with the current offerings. So what is going to be the selling point here? Is it going to be expensive or affordable? Is it going to be full-featured or bare bones?
Unfortunately, I'm pulled back into thinking, "What could Apple do with phones that hasn't already been done." Small, light, photos, video, internet, music, games, personal organization? Most of this is pretty well covered with the current offerings. So what is going to be the selling point here? Is it going to be expensive or affordable? Is it going to be full-featured or bare bones?
SLCentral
Aug 2, 12:59 PM
Why is everyone so convinced that there will be significant updates to the Cinema Displays? Remember how long the non-Alu plastic displays were out? It must have been five years, while the Alu displays have been out for less then two years.
I can't see Apple making a bigger screen then 30" for desktop use. And if they were to, it would be for a multimedia center type thing, which not only is unlikely, but would never be released at WWDC. As a 30" display owner, theres no way a screen larger then 30" would be a feasible desktop display. Besides, anything larger then 30" is just too niche of a market.
Regarding a built-in iSight, I think the Pro market is just the wrong market for that. Apple has to be aware of its market, and b/c of security reasons, cameras just aren't feasible at this point.
Hell, who knows, I'm probably 100% wrong :p.
Edit: Perhaps Apple will just bump the display to be HDCP compliant. HDMI is pretty much the same as DVI, for everyone who doesn't know ;).
I can't see Apple making a bigger screen then 30" for desktop use. And if they were to, it would be for a multimedia center type thing, which not only is unlikely, but would never be released at WWDC. As a 30" display owner, theres no way a screen larger then 30" would be a feasible desktop display. Besides, anything larger then 30" is just too niche of a market.
Regarding a built-in iSight, I think the Pro market is just the wrong market for that. Apple has to be aware of its market, and b/c of security reasons, cameras just aren't feasible at this point.
Hell, who knows, I'm probably 100% wrong :p.
Edit: Perhaps Apple will just bump the display to be HDCP compliant. HDMI is pretty much the same as DVI, for everyone who doesn't know ;).
thetexan
Mar 29, 10:19 AM
And Amazon thinks crippling ioS compatibility will be good business? FAIL.
Why would Amazon spend time and money catering to the iOS platform when Apple is flaky on what it approves in the app store. We still have no idea how Apple's greedy "we want 30% of subscriber revenues" rule will effect some of the most popular iOS apps when Apple decides to start enforcing it this summer. When Apple rolls out their new ME service they could very well simply deny Amazon access to the app store. Imagine all the pissed off people at Amazon who paid only to find out they can't access their cloud services anymore thanks to Apple's decision.
Why would Amazon spend time and money catering to the iOS platform when Apple is flaky on what it approves in the app store. We still have no idea how Apple's greedy "we want 30% of subscriber revenues" rule will effect some of the most popular iOS apps when Apple decides to start enforcing it this summer. When Apple rolls out their new ME service they could very well simply deny Amazon access to the app store. Imagine all the pissed off people at Amazon who paid only to find out they can't access their cloud services anymore thanks to Apple's decision.
No comments:
Post a Comment