benthewraith
Oct 17, 09:32 PM
Nope. Cheap always prevails when it comes to marketshare. The average consumer is fairly thick, when they walk along the aisles at Walmart and wonder which one to chuck in their shopping trolley the majority will go for the cheapest.
Thick or smart? The average consumer is NOT going to spend the amount of money for Blu-Ray player, when they can get HD-DVD for cheaper. Not everyone is as fortunate as you to put $1000 down on a player.
Thick or smart? The average consumer is NOT going to spend the amount of money for Blu-Ray player, when they can get HD-DVD for cheaper. Not everyone is as fortunate as you to put $1000 down on a player.

Lord Blackadder
Aug 10, 01:10 PM
There's nothing really sinister about it. It's just harder to measure and to this point, there's been no point in trying to measure it in comparison to cars.
I understand that they have to be measured differently, but doesn't it make sense that they be compared apples-to-apples (if possible) to the vehicles they are intended to replace?
Most people do ignore it to a large extent, because they say "heck, if it costs me $1 to go 40 miles on electric vs. $2.85 to go 40 miles on gasoline, then that *must* be more efficient in some way". And they are probably right. Economics do tend to line up with efficiency (or government policy).
That is true, but as you pointed out later "green", "efficient", "alternative[to oil imports]" are not all the same thing. Perhaps they are more green but less efficient, or less efficient but more green. Just being more efficient in terms of bang for buck is not necessarily also good from an environmental or alternative energy standpoint. But you are right that the end cost per mile is going to weigh heavily when it comes to consumer acceptance of new types of autos.
I think it's great that European car manufacturers have invested heavily in finding ways to make more fuel efficient cars. And they have their governments to thank for that by making sure that diesel is given a tax advantage vs. gasoline. About 15 years ago, Europe recognized the potential for efficiency in diesels to ultimately outweigh the environmental downside. It was a short-term risk that paid off and now that they have shifted the balance, Europe is tightening their diesel emissions standards to match the US. Once that happens, I'm sure there will a huge market for TDIs in the US and we'll have a nice competitive landscape for driving-up fuel efficiency with diesels vs. gasoline hybrids vs. extended range electrics.
I would argue that Europe's switch to diesels did not involve quite the environmental tradeoff you imply - in the 70s we in the US were driving cars with huge gasoline engines, and to this day diesel regulation for trucks in this country is pretty minimal. Our emissions were probably world-leading then - partially due to the fact that we had the most cars on the roads by far. The problem lies (in my heavily biased opinion) in ignorance. People see smoke coming off diesel exhausts and assume they are dirtier than gasoline engines. But particulate pollution is not necessarily worse, just different. People are not educated about the differerence between gasoline engine pollution and diesel engine pollution. Not to mention the fact that diesel engines don't puff black smoke like they did in the 70s. I'm not arguing that diesels are necessarily cleaner, but they are arguably no worse than gasoline engines and are certainly more efficient.
Whether or not it's "greener" depends upon your definition of green. If you're worried about smog and air quality, then you might make different decisions than if you are worried about carbon dioxide and global warming. Those decisions may also be driven by where you live and where the electricity comes from.
A lot of people in the US (and I assume around the world) are also concerned about energy independence. For those people, using coal to power an electric car is more attractive than using foreign diesel. Any cleaner? Probably not, but probably not much dirtier and certainly cheaper. Our government realizes that we can always make power plants cleaner in the future through regulation, just as Europe realized they could make diesels cleaner in the future through regulation. Steven Chu is no dummy.
It's a fair point. Given the choice, I would prioritize moving to domestic fuel sources in the short term over a massive "go green" (over all alse) campaign.
Which is why we will need new metrics that actually make sense for comparing gasoline to pure electric, perhaps localized to account for the source of power in your area. For example, when I lived in Chicago, the electric was 90% nuclear. It's doesn't get any cleaner than that from an air quality / greenhouse gas standpoint. However, if you're on the east coast, it's probably closer to 60% coal.
I agree completely. The transition needs to be made as transparent as possible. People need to know the source, efficiency and cleanliness of their power source so that they can make informed choices.
I think you're smart enough to know that it's more efficient, but you're not willing to cede that for the sake of your argument, but I encourage you to embrace the idea that we should have extended range electrics *and* clean diesels *and* gasoline hybrids. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
I'm not trying to sound stubborn, I simply have not come accross the numbers anywhere. I don't get paid to do this research, ya know. I do it while hiding from the boss. ;)
I've seen that propaganda FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) before. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Let's consider that the power grid can handle every household running an air conditioner on a hot summer day. That's approximately 2000-3500 watts per household per hour during daytime peak load (on top of everything else on the grid.) Now let's consider that a Volt (or equivalent) has a 16kw battery that charges in 8 hours. That's 200 watts per hour, starting in the evening, or the equivalent of (4) 50 watt light bulbs. This is not exactly grid-overwhelming load.
I'm no math whiz (or electrician), but wouldn't 200 watts/hr * 8 hours = 1.6kw, rather than 16kw? I thought you'd need 2kw/hr * 8hrs to charge a 16kw battery.
It's not that I don't think people have looked into this stuff, it's just that I myself have no information on just how much energy the Volt uses and how much the grid can provide. In the short term, plugin hybrids are few in number and I don't see it being an issue. But it's something we need to work out in the medium/long term.
Or, some would argue that the biggest thing that Americans have trouble with are a few people telling them what the majority should or shouldn't do - which is, as it seems, the definition of "Communism", but I wouldn't go so far as to say that. :)
Communism means nothing in this country, because we've been so brainwashed by Cold War/right-wing rhetoric that, like "freedom", the term has been stolen for propaganda purposes until the original meanings have become lost in a massive sea of BS. I was using it for it's hyperbole value. :D
Most people do indeed realize that they can get better mileage with a smaller car and could "get by" with a much smaller vehicle. They choose not to and that is their prerogative. If the majority wants to vote for representatives who will make laws that increase fuel mileage standards, which in turn require automakers to sell more small cars - or find ways to make them more efficient - that is also their prerogative. (And, in case you haven't noticed, in the last major US election, voters did indeed vote for a party that is increasing CAFE standards.)
Well, that's the nature of democracy. But it's not so much a question of the fact that people realize a smaller car is more efficient, but a question of whether people really care about efficiency. I have recently lived in Nevada and Alaska, two states whose residents are addicted to burning fuel. Seemingly everyone has a pickup, RV and four-wheelers. Burning fuel is not just part of the daily transportation routine - it's a lifestyle.
CAFE standardsAnd if it's important to you, you should do your part and ride a bike to work or buy a TDI, or lobby your congressman for reduced emissions requirements, or stand up on a soap box and preach about the advantages of advanced clean diesel technology. All good stuff.
I walk to work. I used to commute 34 miles a day (total), and while I never minded it, I felt pretty liberated being able to ditch the car for my daily commute. Four years of walking and I don't want to go back. I love cars and motorsport, and I don't consider myself an environmentalist, but I got to the point where I realized that I was driving a lot more than necessary. That realization came when I moved out of a suburb (where you have to drive to get anywhere) and into first a small town and then a biggish city. In both cases it became possible to walk almost everywhere I needed to go. A tank of fuel lasted over a month (or longer) rather than a week from my highway-commuting days. And I lost weight as I hauled by fat backside around on foot. ;)
I won't be in the market for another car for a few years, and my current car (a Subaru) is not very fuel efficient - but then again it has literally not been driven more than half a dozen times in the last six months. When the time comes to replace it I'll be looking for something affordable (ruling out the Volt) but efficiency will be high on the priority list, followed by green-ness.
I wonder if all of you people who are proposing a diesel/diesel hybrid are Europeans, because in America, diesel is looked at as smelly and messy - it's what the trucks with black smoke use.
<snip>
As far as the Chevy Volt goes, I just don't like the name... but the price is right assuming they can get it into the high $20,000's rather quickly.
I'm an American, and yes I've seen the trucks with black smoke. We just need to discard that preconception. This isn't 1973 anymore. We also need to tighten up emissions regualtion on trucks.
The Volt is a practical car by all acoioutns, but it costs way too much. The battery is the primary contributing factor, I've heard that it costs somewhere between $8-15k by itself. Hopefully after GM has been producing such batteries for a few years the cost will drop substantially.
I understand that they have to be measured differently, but doesn't it make sense that they be compared apples-to-apples (if possible) to the vehicles they are intended to replace?
Most people do ignore it to a large extent, because they say "heck, if it costs me $1 to go 40 miles on electric vs. $2.85 to go 40 miles on gasoline, then that *must* be more efficient in some way". And they are probably right. Economics do tend to line up with efficiency (or government policy).
That is true, but as you pointed out later "green", "efficient", "alternative[to oil imports]" are not all the same thing. Perhaps they are more green but less efficient, or less efficient but more green. Just being more efficient in terms of bang for buck is not necessarily also good from an environmental or alternative energy standpoint. But you are right that the end cost per mile is going to weigh heavily when it comes to consumer acceptance of new types of autos.
I think it's great that European car manufacturers have invested heavily in finding ways to make more fuel efficient cars. And they have their governments to thank for that by making sure that diesel is given a tax advantage vs. gasoline. About 15 years ago, Europe recognized the potential for efficiency in diesels to ultimately outweigh the environmental downside. It was a short-term risk that paid off and now that they have shifted the balance, Europe is tightening their diesel emissions standards to match the US. Once that happens, I'm sure there will a huge market for TDIs in the US and we'll have a nice competitive landscape for driving-up fuel efficiency with diesels vs. gasoline hybrids vs. extended range electrics.
I would argue that Europe's switch to diesels did not involve quite the environmental tradeoff you imply - in the 70s we in the US were driving cars with huge gasoline engines, and to this day diesel regulation for trucks in this country is pretty minimal. Our emissions were probably world-leading then - partially due to the fact that we had the most cars on the roads by far. The problem lies (in my heavily biased opinion) in ignorance. People see smoke coming off diesel exhausts and assume they are dirtier than gasoline engines. But particulate pollution is not necessarily worse, just different. People are not educated about the differerence between gasoline engine pollution and diesel engine pollution. Not to mention the fact that diesel engines don't puff black smoke like they did in the 70s. I'm not arguing that diesels are necessarily cleaner, but they are arguably no worse than gasoline engines and are certainly more efficient.
Whether or not it's "greener" depends upon your definition of green. If you're worried about smog and air quality, then you might make different decisions than if you are worried about carbon dioxide and global warming. Those decisions may also be driven by where you live and where the electricity comes from.
A lot of people in the US (and I assume around the world) are also concerned about energy independence. For those people, using coal to power an electric car is more attractive than using foreign diesel. Any cleaner? Probably not, but probably not much dirtier and certainly cheaper. Our government realizes that we can always make power plants cleaner in the future through regulation, just as Europe realized they could make diesels cleaner in the future through regulation. Steven Chu is no dummy.
It's a fair point. Given the choice, I would prioritize moving to domestic fuel sources in the short term over a massive "go green" (over all alse) campaign.
Which is why we will need new metrics that actually make sense for comparing gasoline to pure electric, perhaps localized to account for the source of power in your area. For example, when I lived in Chicago, the electric was 90% nuclear. It's doesn't get any cleaner than that from an air quality / greenhouse gas standpoint. However, if you're on the east coast, it's probably closer to 60% coal.
I agree completely. The transition needs to be made as transparent as possible. People need to know the source, efficiency and cleanliness of their power source so that they can make informed choices.
I think you're smart enough to know that it's more efficient, but you're not willing to cede that for the sake of your argument, but I encourage you to embrace the idea that we should have extended range electrics *and* clean diesels *and* gasoline hybrids. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
I'm not trying to sound stubborn, I simply have not come accross the numbers anywhere. I don't get paid to do this research, ya know. I do it while hiding from the boss. ;)
I've seen that propaganda FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) before. It doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Let's consider that the power grid can handle every household running an air conditioner on a hot summer day. That's approximately 2000-3500 watts per household per hour during daytime peak load (on top of everything else on the grid.) Now let's consider that a Volt (or equivalent) has a 16kw battery that charges in 8 hours. That's 200 watts per hour, starting in the evening, or the equivalent of (4) 50 watt light bulbs. This is not exactly grid-overwhelming load.
I'm no math whiz (or electrician), but wouldn't 200 watts/hr * 8 hours = 1.6kw, rather than 16kw? I thought you'd need 2kw/hr * 8hrs to charge a 16kw battery.
It's not that I don't think people have looked into this stuff, it's just that I myself have no information on just how much energy the Volt uses and how much the grid can provide. In the short term, plugin hybrids are few in number and I don't see it being an issue. But it's something we need to work out in the medium/long term.
Or, some would argue that the biggest thing that Americans have trouble with are a few people telling them what the majority should or shouldn't do - which is, as it seems, the definition of "Communism", but I wouldn't go so far as to say that. :)
Communism means nothing in this country, because we've been so brainwashed by Cold War/right-wing rhetoric that, like "freedom", the term has been stolen for propaganda purposes until the original meanings have become lost in a massive sea of BS. I was using it for it's hyperbole value. :D
Most people do indeed realize that they can get better mileage with a smaller car and could "get by" with a much smaller vehicle. They choose not to and that is their prerogative. If the majority wants to vote for representatives who will make laws that increase fuel mileage standards, which in turn require automakers to sell more small cars - or find ways to make them more efficient - that is also their prerogative. (And, in case you haven't noticed, in the last major US election, voters did indeed vote for a party that is increasing CAFE standards.)
Well, that's the nature of democracy. But it's not so much a question of the fact that people realize a smaller car is more efficient, but a question of whether people really care about efficiency. I have recently lived in Nevada and Alaska, two states whose residents are addicted to burning fuel. Seemingly everyone has a pickup, RV and four-wheelers. Burning fuel is not just part of the daily transportation routine - it's a lifestyle.
CAFE standardsAnd if it's important to you, you should do your part and ride a bike to work or buy a TDI, or lobby your congressman for reduced emissions requirements, or stand up on a soap box and preach about the advantages of advanced clean diesel technology. All good stuff.
I walk to work. I used to commute 34 miles a day (total), and while I never minded it, I felt pretty liberated being able to ditch the car for my daily commute. Four years of walking and I don't want to go back. I love cars and motorsport, and I don't consider myself an environmentalist, but I got to the point where I realized that I was driving a lot more than necessary. That realization came when I moved out of a suburb (where you have to drive to get anywhere) and into first a small town and then a biggish city. In both cases it became possible to walk almost everywhere I needed to go. A tank of fuel lasted over a month (or longer) rather than a week from my highway-commuting days. And I lost weight as I hauled by fat backside around on foot. ;)
I won't be in the market for another car for a few years, and my current car (a Subaru) is not very fuel efficient - but then again it has literally not been driven more than half a dozen times in the last six months. When the time comes to replace it I'll be looking for something affordable (ruling out the Volt) but efficiency will be high on the priority list, followed by green-ness.
I wonder if all of you people who are proposing a diesel/diesel hybrid are Europeans, because in America, diesel is looked at as smelly and messy - it's what the trucks with black smoke use.
<snip>
As far as the Chevy Volt goes, I just don't like the name... but the price is right assuming they can get it into the high $20,000's rather quickly.
I'm an American, and yes I've seen the trucks with black smoke. We just need to discard that preconception. This isn't 1973 anymore. We also need to tighten up emissions regualtion on trucks.
The Volt is a practical car by all acoioutns, but it costs way too much. The battery is the primary contributing factor, I've heard that it costs somewhere between $8-15k by itself. Hopefully after GM has been producing such batteries for a few years the cost will drop substantially.

dunk321
Mar 17, 01:12 AM
Haaaaaaa just shared a launch day story, and the majority of you would have hauled ass with iPad in hand for the price I paid. Haters lmfao

Megakazbek
May 3, 10:33 PM
You're getting negative votes on your post just because people here know that Apple will never do that
I don't really see why Apple will never do that. When Jobs said styluses are crap, obviously he didn't mean styluses as writing devices, he meant styluses as the way to interact with OS.
Education applications seem to be of some importance to Apple, and stylus support is pretty much required to make iPad useful for students, for example.
I don't really see why Apple will never do that. When Jobs said styluses are crap, obviously he didn't mean styluses as writing devices, he meant styluses as the way to interact with OS.
Education applications seem to be of some importance to Apple, and stylus support is pretty much required to make iPad useful for students, for example.
djgamble
Mar 28, 03:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)
How about Cydia apps? ;p
How about Cydia apps? ;p
stevehp
Oct 10, 04:34 PM
Wireless would work well with iTV too. Stream songs right from your iPod through your entertainment system, controlled through your TV with no cables...Heck, the iPod could stay in your pocket! I'm not holding my breath though...Maybe they are trying to get this out before/at the same time as the Zune?
Advil
Apr 15, 04:43 PM
the way it tapers in the back... no way ive would let that happen
JForestZ34
Mar 17, 04:18 PM
Bottom line is this kid probably got fired and is now liable for $300 bucks, is seen as a thief by his family, friends and ex-coworkers, will probably hold a guilt trip for some time and probably start him down the road of failure. All this kid was doing, was trying to work at a job. Something admirable. But it's all ok. Because you have your iPad2 at a discounted price. enjoy yourself.
Why are you saying that the OP is the only one to blame.. It doesn't matter if the kid is trying to work a job and is being admirable... The point is HE KNEW he didn't have all the money and yet let him walk out with the ipad.. The employee is TOO MAKE SURE the customer paid what is owed.. Don't act like the OP is all at fault...
How many times did you pick up a penny from the leave a penny- take a penny thing at register in a WAWA or someplace.. Is that your money to take.. NOPE... SO everybody get off their high horse cause we all know damn well you would do the same thing...
How many of you go to out to eat and see that they didn't but a soda on your bill or they forgot to put your appetizer on it.. Do you tell the waitress that she forgot to but it on your bill? I BET NOT... I bet 90% of you would not say a word if you could save a few bucks...
James
Why are you saying that the OP is the only one to blame.. It doesn't matter if the kid is trying to work a job and is being admirable... The point is HE KNEW he didn't have all the money and yet let him walk out with the ipad.. The employee is TOO MAKE SURE the customer paid what is owed.. Don't act like the OP is all at fault...
How many times did you pick up a penny from the leave a penny- take a penny thing at register in a WAWA or someplace.. Is that your money to take.. NOPE... SO everybody get off their high horse cause we all know damn well you would do the same thing...
How many of you go to out to eat and see that they didn't but a soda on your bill or they forgot to put your appetizer on it.. Do you tell the waitress that she forgot to but it on your bill? I BET NOT... I bet 90% of you would not say a word if you could save a few bucks...
James
MrTwinkles
Sep 28, 12:31 PM
If I touch it on the southwest corner will it not work? ;)
Many other houses lose their primary function when held in a certain way. Jobs will have to issue free tarps to cover each side of the house to cover up the problem. :p
Many other houses lose their primary function when held in a certain way. Jobs will have to issue free tarps to cover each side of the house to cover up the problem. :p
840quadra
Sep 25, 09:37 PM
That having been said, yes, straightening is maddeningly slow on G5s (also on iPhoto ... I have dual 2.0 G5s, and fullscreen or even windowed straightening stutters all over the place). They've got an algorithm problem there (or, more likely, an algorithm which doesn't check for a "break" often enough, which makes it unresponsive and seem really slow).
It is?
I have a Dual 2.0 G5 and it seems quite fluid and smooth.
I also only have a GeForce 5200 ! :confused:
::EDIT::
I am talking about iPhoto as I do not yet have Aperture .
It is?
I have a Dual 2.0 G5 and it seems quite fluid and smooth.
I also only have a GeForce 5200 ! :confused:
::EDIT::
I am talking about iPhoto as I do not yet have Aperture .
skunk
Apr 21, 11:38 AM
The goal of post votes is to identify the comments that others most agree with or appreciate seeing.Do we need to know this? At least disable it for PRSI.
It is against forum rules to simply reply "+1": what on earth is the difference between that and clicking a button to say "+1"?
It is against forum rules to simply reply "+1": what on earth is the difference between that and clicking a button to say "+1"?

tingly
Nov 24, 02:59 AM
for next year's googlers:
Macs
Starting at $1,099. Save $101. MacBook
Starting at $999. Save $101. iMac
iPods
Starting at $149. Save up to $31 plus free laser engraving. iPod nano
Starting at $249. Save up to $31 plus free laser engraving. iPod
Software
$358, save $41.95, Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition
$68, save $31.95, .Mac
$68, save $11.95, Parallels Desktop for Mac
$68, save $21.95, Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0
$38, save $11.95, The Sims 2
$38, save $11.95, Call of Duty 2
$38, save $11.95, Sid Meier's Civilization IV
Extras
$238, save $61.95, Sonic Impact VIDEO-55
$128, save $21.95, Canon PIXMA mini260 Photo Printer
$88, save $41.00, AirPort Express Base Station
$58, save $11.00, Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
$48, save $21.95, Belkin TuneTalk Stereo
$38, save $11.00, iPod Radio Remote
$24, save $5.00, Nike + iPod Sport Kit
Speakers
$298, save $51.00, iPod Hi-Fi
$98, save $31.95, Logitech AudioStation Express
Audio
$78, save $21.95, M-Audio Keystation 49e USB Midi Keyboard
$58, save $21.95, JBL Creature II Speakers
$18, save $6.95, Sony Personal Speakers SRS-P11Q
Car Audio
$58, save $21.95, Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger
$58, save $21.95, Kensington RDS FM Transmitter/Car Charger for iPod
$14, save $5.95, Sony CPA-9C Car Cassette Adapter (Bought it from apple.com a week ago. d'oh!)
Headphones
$398, save $101.95, Shure E500PTH Sound Isolating Earphone
$398, save $101.95, Shure E5C Sound Isolating Earphones
$238, save $61.95, Shure E4C Sound Isolating Earphones
$138, save $41.95, Shure E3C Sound Isolating Earphones
$78, save $21.95, Shure E2C Sound Isolating Earphones
$48, save $11.95, Sennheiser PX100 Headphones
$24, save $5.00, Apple iPod Earphones
Bags
$58, save $41.95, Incase Ripstop Backpack
$48, save $21.95, Brenthaven Metro Bag
$28, save $11.95, STM Alley 13" Shoulder Bag
$24, save $5.95, Incase Neoprene Sleeve
Cases
$24, save $5.00, Apple iPod nano Armband
$24, save $10.95, iSkin eVo3 Case for 30GB iPod
$24, save $10.95, iSkin eVo3 Case for 60GB & 80GB iPod
$18, save $11.00, Nike + Sport Armband
$18, save $11.95, Incase Sports Case with Armband for iPod nano
$18, save $11.95, XtremeMac SportWrap for iPod
$18, save $6.95, Agent 18 VideoShield for 30GB iPod
$18, save $6.95, Agent 18 VideoShield for 60GB & 80GB iPod
Macs
Starting at $1,099. Save $101. MacBook
Starting at $999. Save $101. iMac
iPods
Starting at $149. Save up to $31 plus free laser engraving. iPod nano
Starting at $249. Save up to $31 plus free laser engraving. iPod
Software
$358, save $41.95, Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition
$68, save $31.95, .Mac
$68, save $11.95, Parallels Desktop for Mac
$68, save $21.95, Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0
$38, save $11.95, The Sims 2
$38, save $11.95, Call of Duty 2
$38, save $11.95, Sid Meier's Civilization IV
Extras
$238, save $61.95, Sonic Impact VIDEO-55
$128, save $21.95, Canon PIXMA mini260 Photo Printer
$88, save $41.00, AirPort Express Base Station
$58, save $11.00, Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
$48, save $21.95, Belkin TuneTalk Stereo
$38, save $11.00, iPod Radio Remote
$24, save $5.00, Nike + iPod Sport Kit
Speakers
$298, save $51.00, iPod Hi-Fi
$98, save $31.95, Logitech AudioStation Express
Audio
$78, save $21.95, M-Audio Keystation 49e USB Midi Keyboard
$58, save $21.95, JBL Creature II Speakers
$18, save $6.95, Sony Personal Speakers SRS-P11Q
Car Audio
$58, save $21.95, Kensington Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger
$58, save $21.95, Kensington RDS FM Transmitter/Car Charger for iPod
$14, save $5.95, Sony CPA-9C Car Cassette Adapter (Bought it from apple.com a week ago. d'oh!)
Headphones
$398, save $101.95, Shure E500PTH Sound Isolating Earphone
$398, save $101.95, Shure E5C Sound Isolating Earphones
$238, save $61.95, Shure E4C Sound Isolating Earphones
$138, save $41.95, Shure E3C Sound Isolating Earphones
$78, save $21.95, Shure E2C Sound Isolating Earphones
$48, save $11.95, Sennheiser PX100 Headphones
$24, save $5.00, Apple iPod Earphones
Bags
$58, save $41.95, Incase Ripstop Backpack
$48, save $21.95, Brenthaven Metro Bag
$28, save $11.95, STM Alley 13" Shoulder Bag
$24, save $5.95, Incase Neoprene Sleeve
Cases
$24, save $5.00, Apple iPod nano Armband
$24, save $10.95, iSkin eVo3 Case for 30GB iPod
$24, save $10.95, iSkin eVo3 Case for 60GB & 80GB iPod
$18, save $11.00, Nike + Sport Armband
$18, save $11.95, Incase Sports Case with Armband for iPod nano
$18, save $11.95, XtremeMac SportWrap for iPod
$18, save $6.95, Agent 18 VideoShield for 30GB iPod
$18, save $6.95, Agent 18 VideoShield for 60GB & 80GB iPod

PCClone
May 3, 10:48 PM
Interesting how none of the scenes in the ad uses a white iPad.
Cool story bro!
Cool story bro!

JesLam07
Jan 15, 09:03 PM
Well, MacBook Air didn't really impress me. I would never have any real use for it, but obviously Apple thinks someone will since they have it. And I'm sure someone will. I could sit here and type out everything that doesn't make me happy about it, but we all already know.
Overall, I wasn't really impressed. I'm happy with what I already have....for once.
Overall, I wasn't really impressed. I'm happy with what I already have....for once.
p0intblank
Sep 12, 08:17 AM
Very sweet! :D I love waking up to surprises like this. Notice Apple says the iTunes Store is being updated, rather than the iTunes Music Store? I know this is obvious, but I just thought I'd point it out.
Gah, I can't wait until 1:00 EST!
Gah, I can't wait until 1:00 EST!
esaleris
Nov 16, 01:06 PM
There is absolutely no, no, no way that Intel did not enter a contractual agreement with Apple that explicitly prohibits or deters Apple from using AMD's competitive products. Intel and Apple's partnership - not the traditional buyer-seller - extends into R&D and other considerable investments. Additionally, Apple is too small of a company to be able to leverage their volume in a way that would free them from such an agreement. Bottom line? We won't see an AMD in Apple for another 2-3 years, if it were to happen at all.
JackAxe
May 2, 05:35 PM
Hopefully it'll fix the bug I get when I want to have a song on repeat, seems to ignore the first song played and then it works on the second :(
You should submit that to Apple here;
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
And keep on it everytime there's an update and no resolve. I sent them several feedbacks about Apple Lossless skipping, which they eventually resolved.
You should submit that to Apple here;
http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
And keep on it everytime there's an update and no resolve. I sent them several feedbacks about Apple Lossless skipping, which they eventually resolved.
dethmaShine
Apr 16, 03:56 PM
You get 20gbs if you purchase an mp3 album...or pretend to. I purchased 6 foot 7 foot by Lil Wayne one song and 99 cents
20gigs of free storage if you purchase a single album?
20gigs of free storage if you purchase a single album?
neilmacd
Apr 25, 12:45 PM
First image is a good mockup but is most probably a fake.
The gap between the screen in the top right hand corner is wider than the gap in the middle and bottom. Or is it just my eyes?
The gap between the screen in the top right hand corner is wider than the gap in the middle and bottom. Or is it just my eyes?
Rodimus Prime
Apr 24, 03:06 PM
It might be. But A lot of tech companies out there are very, very averse to risk and are slow to change.
then why does Apple keep terminal which is nothing more than Apple version of command prompt.
Command prompt IT like it because it is simple and straight forward in getting things done they want/need to get done. No special eye candy to jump threw. It does its job. It is not exactly meant to super user friendly to use as those tools are not meant for most people to use in daily lives and if it was put to eye candy it would clutter up menus and make it harder for the average person.
Example of things I use cmd for is when I am testing or creating java programs. It is heck of a lot easier to do javac *****.java followed by java *** to run it.
Or if I just want some basic text or basic output to see if said program is working cmd is just plain better for it. Hell of a lot easier to program output on there than it is to created a gui window and I have to import less crap.
It is not like it is something that would be put in a final product but is much better for testing and programing phases. Also do not forget a lot of tools/ programs do not have any out put so you access threw command prompt.
I know apple terminal is more or less the exact same damn thing.
People who say get read of cmd or terminal to me complete prove they do not understand computers/programing at all. All they understand is a how to point and click and use a computer designed for dummies. cmd is not something a majority of people need but any higher level IT/programing it is a very good tool that should not go away.
then why does Apple keep terminal which is nothing more than Apple version of command prompt.
Command prompt IT like it because it is simple and straight forward in getting things done they want/need to get done. No special eye candy to jump threw. It does its job. It is not exactly meant to super user friendly to use as those tools are not meant for most people to use in daily lives and if it was put to eye candy it would clutter up menus and make it harder for the average person.
Example of things I use cmd for is when I am testing or creating java programs. It is heck of a lot easier to do javac *****.java followed by java *** to run it.
Or if I just want some basic text or basic output to see if said program is working cmd is just plain better for it. Hell of a lot easier to program output on there than it is to created a gui window and I have to import less crap.
It is not like it is something that would be put in a final product but is much better for testing and programing phases. Also do not forget a lot of tools/ programs do not have any out put so you access threw command prompt.
I know apple terminal is more or less the exact same damn thing.
People who say get read of cmd or terminal to me complete prove they do not understand computers/programing at all. All they understand is a how to point and click and use a computer designed for dummies. cmd is not something a majority of people need but any higher level IT/programing it is a very good tool that should not go away.
KnightWRX
Mar 25, 06:43 AM
<pedantry>
Is Finder an App per se or integral to the OS?
</pedantry>
Depends what you call an OS. In micro-computer parlance Finder is very much a File Manager, same as Nautilus, Dolphin, Norton Commander (or the Midnight Commander clone), ROX-Filer, Windows Explorer, DOSShell etc just to name a few.
It does very little to "operate" the system. It simply provides a user with a UI to manipulate the files found on a filesystem. Of course, an OS doesn't even need a filesystem per say as not all OSes use the file metaphor for storage.
The OS part of the any modern OS is all contained in the kernel, which can usually operate the system without any kind of assistance from userspace. Finder is a userspace app. You could replace it with any other File Manager and still achieve the same basic functionality.
I think your pedantry wasn't as big as mine (how's your Schwartz ?)
Is Finder an App per se or integral to the OS?
</pedantry>
Depends what you call an OS. In micro-computer parlance Finder is very much a File Manager, same as Nautilus, Dolphin, Norton Commander (or the Midnight Commander clone), ROX-Filer, Windows Explorer, DOSShell etc just to name a few.
It does very little to "operate" the system. It simply provides a user with a UI to manipulate the files found on a filesystem. Of course, an OS doesn't even need a filesystem per say as not all OSes use the file metaphor for storage.
The OS part of the any modern OS is all contained in the kernel, which can usually operate the system without any kind of assistance from userspace. Finder is a userspace app. You could replace it with any other File Manager and still achieve the same basic functionality.
I think your pedantry wasn't as big as mine (how's your Schwartz ?)
Macky-Mac
Apr 18, 11:36 PM
What about the absolutely peaceful Muslims brutally attacked out of nowhere by rapacious imperialist crusaders who wanted to savagely impose their religion upon the tolerant and free society?
indeed, when everyone knows the pope was really trying to reconquer territory controlled by the eastern church :p
indeed, when everyone knows the pope was really trying to reconquer territory controlled by the eastern church :p
spazzcat
May 2, 11:46 AM
I find it hilarious that Steve Jobs claimed Apple was not tracking users, but now all of a sudden we find Location tracking being completely removed from this version of iOS, that is honestly something that annoyes me..
Dr Kevorkian94
Sep 28, 06:00 PM
he can control everything from his ipad and his iphone, he will be so happy with the house we cant have. but in all seriousness that is awesome but i wonder if it will be technological, and everything will run on ios. lol
No comments:
Post a Comment