ajkrause
Sep 1, 01:25 PM
Just a general wonderment but why is it that upgrading the RAM on your made-to-order MacBook from the Apple Store online will run you up to $500 ($450 if you're a student) yet on the iMac and MacBook Pro the most it will cost you is $300 ($270 if you're a student)?
I don't buy my RAM from Apple usually but it just seems very off to me anyway. The only time I bought RAM from them is when I bought my MBP... the sales guy convinced me easily because by that time I was salivating so much over the MBP, I was willing to pay a few extra bucks to be able to take it home from the Apple Store fully loaded. I'm an impatient guy, what can I say?*:D
I don't buy my RAM from Apple usually but it just seems very off to me anyway. The only time I bought RAM from them is when I bought my MBP... the sales guy convinced me easily because by that time I was salivating so much over the MBP, I was willing to pay a few extra bucks to be able to take it home from the Apple Store fully loaded. I'm an impatient guy, what can I say?*:D

bketchum
Jan 11, 09:22 PM
I like the name. It grabs my imagination immediately. Light as air. The Macworld banner says, �2008. There�s something in the air.� Perhaps the tag is subtly suggesting something new inside the MacBook air - that being a flash drive.
atad6
Aug 29, 11:16 AM
This is exactly what I predicted would happen when Apple went Intel. Now that Macs can be compared component for component with Wintel machines and new hardware is coming out every month, everyone is worked up about keeping up with latest thing at the best possible price and getting increasingly frustrated with Apple's unwillingness to create a product line with 10000 different machines that each compete with dollar for dollar and component for component with every other machine on the market. Meanwhile, we have people talking about $299 machines with DVD burners (AND Windows? I'd like to see THAT!).
If you're so concerned about keeping up with the Jones, just buy a Dell, already.
I find this amusing as well, all these complaints about how apple is too slow, has outdated hardware, etc etc. Now suddenly that apple's have comparable hardware suddenly they have to follow the same upgrade path as the rest of pc manufactures so they're not obsolete. Remember the g4 powerbooks? They were not only completely underpowered compared to its pc counterparts but also still ridiculously overpriced for what they were performance wise. That can be seen considering the current macbook pros have been proven to be 5x faster in some areas. Now that merom is coming out with a marginal (compared to the g4 to intel transition) 10-15% performance increase many people are complaining that the current yonah processors are just too slow. I just find this amusing considering people bought the underpowered overpriced powerbooks for so long. Apple just has a different business model, whether it is always executed properly is up for debate. They just have different priorities. Who knows when apple will put out the next revision of macbooks but if you're worring about it from a performance perspective you should probably consider buying a pc.
EDIT:
Of course I could be completely wrong and with the whole intel transition apple could put out rapid upgrades to its lines just like the rest of the pc world. I was just going with history, just because apple uses intel chips doesn't mean they'll adopt them like the other companies.
If you're so concerned about keeping up with the Jones, just buy a Dell, already.
I find this amusing as well, all these complaints about how apple is too slow, has outdated hardware, etc etc. Now suddenly that apple's have comparable hardware suddenly they have to follow the same upgrade path as the rest of pc manufactures so they're not obsolete. Remember the g4 powerbooks? They were not only completely underpowered compared to its pc counterparts but also still ridiculously overpriced for what they were performance wise. That can be seen considering the current macbook pros have been proven to be 5x faster in some areas. Now that merom is coming out with a marginal (compared to the g4 to intel transition) 10-15% performance increase many people are complaining that the current yonah processors are just too slow. I just find this amusing considering people bought the underpowered overpriced powerbooks for so long. Apple just has a different business model, whether it is always executed properly is up for debate. They just have different priorities. Who knows when apple will put out the next revision of macbooks but if you're worring about it from a performance perspective you should probably consider buying a pc.
EDIT:
Of course I could be completely wrong and with the whole intel transition apple could put out rapid upgrades to its lines just like the rest of the pc world. I was just going with history, just because apple uses intel chips doesn't mean they'll adopt them like the other companies.
MisterMe
Nov 28, 12:58 PM
Do you have anything to support that MS lost billions on the xbox, I heard it was more like they broke even...I have no idea where you got that one from. The original Xbox never made a profit. Microsoft is deliberately selling the Xbox 360 at a loss to capture marketshare. However, the PS3 and Ninetindo Wii are selling like hotcakes, are latest big things, and have the buzz. The best laid plans ...
tMac85
Jan 11, 11:06 PM
Maybe Apple's poster actually says more but we can't see the bottom?
Something like: "There's something in the air... blow it out your ass Microsoft" :p
hahahahahahha
Something like: "There's something in the air... blow it out your ass Microsoft" :p
hahahahahahha
Benny777
Apr 19, 12:32 PM
Yes!!! This will complement my recently purchased iPad 2 and MacBook Pro issued to me from work! I've got the cash, I've just been waiting for the Sandy Bridge/Thunderbolt update and hopefully a 24" version!
Bonte
Nov 15, 08:34 AM
8-Core Mac Pro! :eek:
***drool*** :D :cool:
I'd love to see these test done in Vista, slower than XP i suspect. :cool:
***drool*** :D :cool:
I'd love to see these test done in Vista, slower than XP i suspect. :cool:
KnightWRX
Apr 27, 08:23 AM
In general, "Applications" are what Apple run on their Mac OS platform "Apps" are what they run on their iOS platform, a cut down version of Mac OS X with a cut down but related and familiar name.
Other operating systems (mobile based included) refer to software as "Programs". This has gone back as far as the days of DOS and Atari/Amiga.
You can't be more wrong. I was writing Web Apps in the 90s using mod_perl, Apache and PostgreSQL.
Other OSes have also had Applications associated as a word to describe the software that runs on them by the media and internally, see this 1989 reference to OS/2 :
http://books.google.com/books?id=JzoEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT40#v=onepage&q&f=false
Other operating systems (mobile based included) refer to software as "Programs". This has gone back as far as the days of DOS and Atari/Amiga.
You can't be more wrong. I was writing Web Apps in the 90s using mod_perl, Apache and PostgreSQL.
Other OSes have also had Applications associated as a word to describe the software that runs on them by the media and internally, see this 1989 reference to OS/2 :
http://books.google.com/books?id=JzoEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT40#v=onepage&q&f=false
mscriv
Mar 23, 01:06 PM
Here's one of my favorite quotes...
Lighthouses are more useful than churches -Benjamin Franklin
According to Wikipedia this is not an accurate quote.
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
Also quoted as �Lighthouses are more helpful than churches� or �A lighthouse is more useful than a church.� Although not by Franklin in this form, it may be intended as a paraphrase of something he wrote to his wife on 17 July 1757, given in a footnote on page 133 of Memoirs of the Life and Writings of Benjamin Franklin (1818). After describing a narrow escape from shipwreck he added:
"The bell ringing for church, we went thither immediately, and with hearts full of gratitude, returned sincere thanks to God for the mercies we had received: were I a Roman Catholic, perhaps I should on this occasion vow to build a chapel to some saint, but as I am not, if I were to vow at all, it should be to build a light-house."
I agree with your point though that the majority of founding fathers were not Christian and that America is not a Christian nation.
Lighthouses are more useful than churches -Benjamin Franklin
According to Wikipedia this is not an accurate quote.
"Lighthouses are more useful than churches."
Also quoted as �Lighthouses are more helpful than churches� or �A lighthouse is more useful than a church.� Although not by Franklin in this form, it may be intended as a paraphrase of something he wrote to his wife on 17 July 1757, given in a footnote on page 133 of Memoirs of the Life and Writings of Benjamin Franklin (1818). After describing a narrow escape from shipwreck he added:
"The bell ringing for church, we went thither immediately, and with hearts full of gratitude, returned sincere thanks to God for the mercies we had received: were I a Roman Catholic, perhaps I should on this occasion vow to build a chapel to some saint, but as I am not, if I were to vow at all, it should be to build a light-house."
I agree with your point though that the majority of founding fathers were not Christian and that America is not a Christian nation.
AvSRoCkCO1067
Aug 16, 09:11 AM
Compete with Zune? Seriously? Zune is even on Apple's radar?
Let me get this straight, maybe I'm mistaken. Is this the same Zune that was announced that it will "play music! videos! games! ... wait... no, we changed our minds... no games. And videos? Yeah we can't quite get that to work, it won't do that either. But it plays music! And looks like an iPod... except its a tad on the fugly side...."
Please. Apple already has something to compete with this, its called the iPod. Who needs wireless??
Actually...it's called the iPod 4G :p .
Apple's already a generation ahead of the 'Zune' - wireless, unless providing a way to purchase songs on the go, is completely and utterly...useless :) .
Let me get this straight, maybe I'm mistaken. Is this the same Zune that was announced that it will "play music! videos! games! ... wait... no, we changed our minds... no games. And videos? Yeah we can't quite get that to work, it won't do that either. But it plays music! And looks like an iPod... except its a tad on the fugly side...."
Please. Apple already has something to compete with this, its called the iPod. Who needs wireless??
Actually...it's called the iPod 4G :p .
Apple's already a generation ahead of the 'Zune' - wireless, unless providing a way to purchase songs on the go, is completely and utterly...useless :) .
rasmasyean
Apr 8, 06:48 PM
So why not Mexico? Mexico is experiencing way more violence than most of these Middle East countries yet their request for U.N. aid in 2009 was denied. They are on our doorstep and we are ignoring it for the most part even though we are partly to blame for the violence. The U.N. actually told Mexico just the other day to withdraw their own Military forces from the fight against the cartels.
Prolly has something to do with leaving the country messed up so we can draw modern day slaves from the wreckage to fuel parts of our economy. Whatever "charity" we do, there's often an alterior motive. If there isn't a potential gain, we usually ignore it....especially if ignoring it actually has a potential gain in itself. Just like ignoring the columbian drug trades or whatever WITHIN our country so that their drug war may go on to achieve political objectives.
Prolly has something to do with leaving the country messed up so we can draw modern day slaves from the wreckage to fuel parts of our economy. Whatever "charity" we do, there's often an alterior motive. If there isn't a potential gain, we usually ignore it....especially if ignoring it actually has a potential gain in itself. Just like ignoring the columbian drug trades or whatever WITHIN our country so that their drug war may go on to achieve political objectives.
Expedition
Apr 6, 09:10 AM
Not getting any of these at all.
I suspect that a particular application causes these crashes as this behavior only exists on one account of my machine. However, I have not been able to pin down the culprit...
Does anyone know what the following error message in the crash report may indicate?
xpchelper registration failed for sandbox candidate.: _xpc_connection_send_serializer_to_port() returns NULL
I suspect that a particular application causes these crashes as this behavior only exists on one account of my machine. However, I have not been able to pin down the culprit...
Does anyone know what the following error message in the crash report may indicate?
xpchelper registration failed for sandbox candidate.: _xpc_connection_send_serializer_to_port() returns NULL
barkomatic
Apr 21, 12:48 PM
I could see this as a concern for politicians and celebrities whose locations might be used as fodder for tabloid gossip. Maybe a couple going through a divorce could use the data to substantiate an affair.
reel2reel
Apr 12, 09:53 PM
Viewer built into the browser now. Weird but makes sense I guess.
DMann
Jan 13, 01:38 PM
Air = composed of nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, trace gases.
So the 4 products are
Macbook NITRO
Macbook OXYO
Macbook C02
Macbook GAS
not to mention:
MacBook OZONE
MacBook CO (monoxide)
MacBook ARGON
MacBook METHANE
MacBook HYDROGEN
MacBook XENON
MacBook NEON
MacBook KRYPTON
So the 4 products are
Macbook NITRO
Macbook OXYO
Macbook C02
Macbook GAS
not to mention:
MacBook OZONE
MacBook CO (monoxide)
MacBook ARGON
MacBook METHANE
MacBook HYDROGEN
MacBook XENON
MacBook NEON
MacBook KRYPTON
Danger! Will
Feb 6, 09:07 AM
It replaced my 2001 SAAB 9-5 Aero.
stcanard
Nov 28, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by stcanard
Beta
MiniDisc
Memory Stick
ATRAC
PSone & PS2?
HandyCam?
I think you're missing my point, but maybe I didn't explain it well enough.
Yes, the PSone, PS2, and HandyCam are succesful items that probably make money as one of the many entries in the field. As are Sony TV's, speakers, etc.
But they fail at the one thing Sony has been repeatedly trying to do, what Microsoft always tries to do, and what Microsoft is trying to do with the XBox and the Zune -- become the one runaway standard that everybody uses and becomed synonymous with the market.
Think Walkman and iPod. Think IE (until recently, when firefox has finally started to come back) -- Beta, MiniDisk, Memory Sticks, ATRAC were all attempts to repeat this, and have failed miserably. Blu-Ray is an attempt as well, and I'm not holding my breath.
Sony is showing that they are now completely incapable of creating that single iconic product ever again, and have been for some time. The post I was responding to was comparing Microsoft to Sony's marketing, which I don't think is positive, from that point of view.
Beta
MiniDisc
Memory Stick
ATRAC
PSone & PS2?
HandyCam?
I think you're missing my point, but maybe I didn't explain it well enough.
Yes, the PSone, PS2, and HandyCam are succesful items that probably make money as one of the many entries in the field. As are Sony TV's, speakers, etc.
But they fail at the one thing Sony has been repeatedly trying to do, what Microsoft always tries to do, and what Microsoft is trying to do with the XBox and the Zune -- become the one runaway standard that everybody uses and becomed synonymous with the market.
Think Walkman and iPod. Think IE (until recently, when firefox has finally started to come back) -- Beta, MiniDisk, Memory Sticks, ATRAC were all attempts to repeat this, and have failed miserably. Blu-Ray is an attempt as well, and I'm not holding my breath.
Sony is showing that they are now completely incapable of creating that single iconic product ever again, and have been for some time. The post I was responding to was comparing Microsoft to Sony's marketing, which I don't think is positive, from that point of view.

slackpacker
Apr 13, 05:20 AM
Basically - All hardware has to come up with new drivers - I did not see anything about Plug-in support. And I see no reason why Apple will release boxed copies. But maybe they will to placate us all. FCX is what I wanted Apple to do. Trash the old and make something new and modern. Unfortunately the Original Programer of FC is no longer with Apple so the old code was unusable.But when you do that you have to re-build the feature set from scratch.
Ubuntu
Nov 29, 06:52 PM
In fact - that comparison is a little early. Make the same one in 5 years.
I am wondering how the comparison for the XBox vs. Playstation vs. others looked like some days after the initial start.
My thoughts exactly.
I'm all for the iPod, I'm happy with my 8GB red nano, but come on people, give the Zune a chance. Many of you are being petty, and I think that this is a stupid comparison.
There is only one Zune model anyway, are they comparing it to the countless models of the iPod?
Is that fair?
Are iPod Shuffles included? Is that fair, considering the price?
I can't access the link for some reason.
I am wondering how the comparison for the XBox vs. Playstation vs. others looked like some days after the initial start.
My thoughts exactly.
I'm all for the iPod, I'm happy with my 8GB red nano, but come on people, give the Zune a chance. Many of you are being petty, and I think that this is a stupid comparison.
There is only one Zune model anyway, are they comparing it to the countless models of the iPod?
Is that fair?
Are iPod Shuffles included? Is that fair, considering the price?
I can't access the link for some reason.
lordonuthin
Mar 4, 10:40 PM
congrats to SciFrog for 5 million points for MacRumors!
Ditto!
I see some new folks putting up some points, designed, DistortedLoop, and MAcProCPO is back at it again, thanks for the effort to those and other newbies!
I had a problem with the MacPro after I upgraded to a 3 SSD raid for booting ... I forgot to set the machine to NOT go to sleep, DUH! I could not figure out why it was timing out of folding every so often with the remote Linux boards that I'm ssh'd into from the Mac. NOW that I have that figured out my points will pick up again. It was still impressive just running the 6 GPU's and 2 win clients at about 50k per day!
Ditto!
I see some new folks putting up some points, designed, DistortedLoop, and MAcProCPO is back at it again, thanks for the effort to those and other newbies!
I had a problem with the MacPro after I upgraded to a 3 SSD raid for booting ... I forgot to set the machine to NOT go to sleep, DUH! I could not figure out why it was timing out of folding every so often with the remote Linux boards that I'm ssh'd into from the Mac. NOW that I have that figured out my points will pick up again. It was still impressive just running the 6 GPU's and 2 win clients at about 50k per day!
econgeek
Apr 12, 09:58 PM
The auto-tracking timeline seems so obvious (in retrospect) that I think a year the UIs with 99 tracks stacked on top of each other, a new track for each tiny clip, etc, are going to look horribly complicated. They may look "professional" to people who think all information should be onscreen at once -- even if there's no video in the track, at he time range you're looking at, the track is still there.
But it seems like this new UI will give much better control and edibility for the range of the work that you're currently working on.
It is looking like some of the features that I think were a PITA before are better integrated here too.... if the comments about adjusting time scale mean what I think.
A great leap forward in usability, it looks like.
But it seems like this new UI will give much better control and edibility for the range of the work that you're currently working on.
It is looking like some of the features that I think were a PITA before are better integrated here too.... if the comments about adjusting time scale mean what I think.
A great leap forward in usability, it looks like.
AppleScruff1
Apr 21, 04:21 PM
What about Apple? Why don't they go after them for tracking every little thing you do with their services. If you want to talk about a company that violates & then documents our privacy go after Apple.
Don't be a fool.
But it's ok if Apple does it. What are you thinking? :D
Does anyone else really just not care about this? I could care less. It's not like the info is going to end up in China.
But would you care if it was Microsoft, or Verizon or an Apple competitor? That is the question.
If this were Google or M$ you apologists would be foaming at the mouth. Nice fallacious argument - just because we can be tracked in our cars with traffic cams, or GPS devices, etc, doesn't mean this, or those instances are legal.
This is clearly in violation of EU law, for those of you who are interested:
How true! These same people were hanging Samsung a week or so ago when it was erroneously reported that they installed a key logger on their laptops. It's funny how things change when the shoe is on the other foot.
http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/information_society/l14012_en.htm
We should at least be given the choice to opt-out, and the purposes and disclosure policies should be clearly stated, not buried in a 30-page ToS.
How true! These same people were hanging Samsung a week or so ago when it was erroneously reported that they installed a key logger on their laptops. It's funny how things change when the shoe is on the other foot.
You know you're talking to a fanboy when they dismiss and downplay an issue such as this one.
You should be ashamed. You think because someone makes a shiny phone they can treat you this way?
I wonder how Steve would feel if people could know his location 24/7...
Anything Apple does is ok because they know what is best for us.
Don't be a fool.
But it's ok if Apple does it. What are you thinking? :D
Does anyone else really just not care about this? I could care less. It's not like the info is going to end up in China.
But would you care if it was Microsoft, or Verizon or an Apple competitor? That is the question.
If this were Google or M$ you apologists would be foaming at the mouth. Nice fallacious argument - just because we can be tracked in our cars with traffic cams, or GPS devices, etc, doesn't mean this, or those instances are legal.
This is clearly in violation of EU law, for those of you who are interested:
How true! These same people were hanging Samsung a week or so ago when it was erroneously reported that they installed a key logger on their laptops. It's funny how things change when the shoe is on the other foot.
http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/information_society/l14012_en.htm
We should at least be given the choice to opt-out, and the purposes and disclosure policies should be clearly stated, not buried in a 30-page ToS.
How true! These same people were hanging Samsung a week or so ago when it was erroneously reported that they installed a key logger on their laptops. It's funny how things change when the shoe is on the other foot.
You know you're talking to a fanboy when they dismiss and downplay an issue such as this one.
You should be ashamed. You think because someone makes a shiny phone they can treat you this way?
I wonder how Steve would feel if people could know his location 24/7...
Anything Apple does is ok because they know what is best for us.
quagmire
Jan 6, 04:43 PM
That's all that matters, no? I'm not gonna be going around Fred Flintstone-ing my bimmer...
There is the electronics that control the engine, etc. You will probably have to do some engine work along the way as well. My dads old E46 had to replace the water pump at 45,000 miles because it blew up( warranty), replace a pulley as it began to squeal at 65,000 miles( wasn't cheap, but forgot the exact amount it cost), and started to run roughly at 70,000 miles when idling. Dealer said it was due to my dad putting 87 in the tank when BMW recommends 91/93. Though when my brother got the car and replaced the spark plugs, the engine smoothed out again. Right now at 150,000 miles I believe my brother stated he thinks the crankcase is starting to go.
BMW( or any German vehicle) is going to be expensive to maintain. There is no getting around it.
There is the electronics that control the engine, etc. You will probably have to do some engine work along the way as well. My dads old E46 had to replace the water pump at 45,000 miles because it blew up( warranty), replace a pulley as it began to squeal at 65,000 miles( wasn't cheap, but forgot the exact amount it cost), and started to run roughly at 70,000 miles when idling. Dealer said it was due to my dad putting 87 in the tank when BMW recommends 91/93. Though when my brother got the car and replaced the spark plugs, the engine smoothed out again. Right now at 150,000 miles I believe my brother stated he thinks the crankcase is starting to go.
BMW( or any German vehicle) is going to be expensive to maintain. There is no getting around it.
Flowbee
Nov 28, 11:46 AM
I don't think I've seen a single Zune ad on TV since its launch.
No comments:
Post a Comment