iJohnHenry
Mar 2, 04:57 PM
the fact that after the second generation Jetta, VW had to rename the car in germany/europe (Bora, Vento) and still had lousy sales there, should have been a warning sign
the last few generations of the jetta have been absolute rubbish ... i hoping this new generation is actually better
Mexico may come around, in time.
Japan sure did, Korea has, and China is well on it's way.
the last few generations of the jetta have been absolute rubbish ... i hoping this new generation is actually better
Mexico may come around, in time.
Japan sure did, Korea has, and China is well on it's way.
PCMacUser
Aug 7, 05:11 AM
We also make more money, I remember a while ago doing a comparison between a waiter on Aussie award wages and US minimum wage in the purchase of an iBook. The US waiter would have to work ~2x as many hours as the aussie waiter to afford an iBook at our respective online Apple Stores.
Aussie waiters must earn a fortune. My sister in law worked as a waitress in the USA and earned over US$1000 per weekend in wages and tips. So what's it like in Oz?
Aussie waiters must earn a fortune. My sister in law worked as a waitress in the USA and earned over US$1000 per weekend in wages and tips. So what's it like in Oz?
jettredmont
May 2, 05:03 PM
We can say this comes from iOS. But remember that iOS got this basic paradigm in slightly more primitive form from the OS X Dashboard, which was introduced in 10.3 (or was it 10.4?).
ingenious
Mar 28, 01:49 PM
Apple does not need to enter the 500 dollar market- Steve Jobs has said it himself. He himself has compared Apple to BMW among others to show that Apple is the luxury company right now. They're not going to waste quality for quanity and just try to sell machines. Read it in an interview from him. The point is, Apple IS NOT DYING! It's a debt free company, has billions in cash, is leading the MP3 Player and Online Music store industry, has what was and is still almost the worlds fastest personal computer. It has the best OS, and more and more people are switching, its just that there are more people going to PCs than macs (new users). APPLE IS NOT DYING! STEVE IS BACK. :D :D :D :D
nemaslov
Mar 22, 06:55 PM
It's for people who are SERIOUS about music and would never listen to anything less then lossless (whenever possible).
CIA
Apr 12, 08:51 PM
They output to tape because they cannot grasp the concept that tape became obsolete a decade ago (and the ones who can grasp it are stuck dealing with others who demand delivery and archive on tape.)
I hate getting tape as delivery, but man I love it for archive. Tape sticks around while hard drives and burned data DVD's fail all the time.
What? Am I supposed to move over 6TB of archived video packages into the cloud? Hows that gonna work?
I hate getting tape as delivery, but man I love it for archive. Tape sticks around while hard drives and burned data DVD's fail all the time.
What? Am I supposed to move over 6TB of archived video packages into the cloud? Hows that gonna work?
diamond.g
Mar 24, 02:07 PM
The GPU can do that, no need for CPU. The CPU is just there to tell the GPU what to crunch assuming no FLAGS were thrown regarding a particular DRM-protected data.
Thunderbolt is just the transmission protocol, there is no actual decode or encode besides what is hard wired at the ports.
Hmm, maybe we are thinking of two different things. How is this going to maintain a protected path? How would Apple keep us from grabbing the stream as it is being sent to the GPU (to be shown on the screen)? That is the part I am thinking of, that is what HDCP/DPCP is supposed to prevent. If we are sending data down the PCIe side then how is it being protected from snooping?
Thunderbolt is just the transmission protocol, there is no actual decode or encode besides what is hard wired at the ports.
Hmm, maybe we are thinking of two different things. How is this going to maintain a protected path? How would Apple keep us from grabbing the stream as it is being sent to the GPU (to be shown on the screen)? That is the part I am thinking of, that is what HDCP/DPCP is supposed to prevent. If we are sending data down the PCIe side then how is it being protected from snooping?
Frisco
Sep 6, 09:41 PM
After following all this stuff today, I am really concerned about whateverthehell it is that will be announced next week. There seems to
be limited interest in movie downloads, when there are already good alternatives (netflix, the local video shop, etc.) There are definitely some
questions if that would/will even fly. I, for one, don't really care if I rent. I have a bunch of DVD movies, but rarely view them more than twice. So... even though an apple movie download service comes along, I really wonder how successful it will be. Which leads me to wonder... The Steve is not dumb. He is not going to order up a special meeting like this for something that may turn out to be nothing... Hell, it is apparently viewed by apple as much more important than the introduction of the 24" iMac, which is a heck of an interesting gadget. Do you think that there may be some REALLY BIG new technological/hardware gizmo being intro'd? Something that makes the movie store just a minor part of a larger picture. I keep thinking, Apple is a hardware company. Always has been. SHOW ME THE HARDWARE!
Agreed! On-Demand is the future for movies. It just needs more of a selection then it's perfect.
Downloading movies is of limited interest to most people. Just give up the Mac Media Center (iHome) and we'll all be happy campers come Tuesday!
be limited interest in movie downloads, when there are already good alternatives (netflix, the local video shop, etc.) There are definitely some
questions if that would/will even fly. I, for one, don't really care if I rent. I have a bunch of DVD movies, but rarely view them more than twice. So... even though an apple movie download service comes along, I really wonder how successful it will be. Which leads me to wonder... The Steve is not dumb. He is not going to order up a special meeting like this for something that may turn out to be nothing... Hell, it is apparently viewed by apple as much more important than the introduction of the 24" iMac, which is a heck of an interesting gadget. Do you think that there may be some REALLY BIG new technological/hardware gizmo being intro'd? Something that makes the movie store just a minor part of a larger picture. I keep thinking, Apple is a hardware company. Always has been. SHOW ME THE HARDWARE!
Agreed! On-Demand is the future for movies. It just needs more of a selection then it's perfect.
Downloading movies is of limited interest to most people. Just give up the Mac Media Center (iHome) and we'll all be happy campers come Tuesday!

The Red Wolf
Aug 24, 06:46 PM
A Memrom Core Duo 2 with a 256 MB Video card to match the Mac Book Pro would rock. Filling in that space of a intermediate tower, just little.
quagmire
Jan 5, 08:01 AM
To the BMW guys, how reliable is the E46 325i?
I have a chance to pick one up for a fairly low cost (Less than $6,000 canadian). It is pretty much mint and VERY well maintained.
Car has a bit higher miles (~125,000 miles/ 205,000km), but I am guessing well maintained they will last quite a while?
I really enjoyed my brothers E36, and I just got rid of my project cars so I figure this would be a nice change.
My brothers/dads old E46 330xi has been giving him trouble with 150,000 miles on it. Things do wear out, but it seems like every time I hear about the car, it is broken.
I have a chance to pick one up for a fairly low cost (Less than $6,000 canadian). It is pretty much mint and VERY well maintained.
Car has a bit higher miles (~125,000 miles/ 205,000km), but I am guessing well maintained they will last quite a while?
I really enjoyed my brothers E36, and I just got rid of my project cars so I figure this would be a nice change.
My brothers/dads old E46 330xi has been giving him trouble with 150,000 miles on it. Things do wear out, but it seems like every time I hear about the car, it is broken.
skunk
Mar 31, 01:11 PM
Well regarding defeating the Nazi's and the Axis powers, one can credit the US to turning the tide. When the Nazis like practically conquered everyone in their path and are invading the UK, the Brits had to transfer a lot of technologies they made for the war to the US...where the US industrial might pretty much defined what we know today as "air dominance". Even though the Brits did make a lot of neat weapons (as traditional to their roots), the US was the one who turned those into massive amounts of airplanes, carriers, and sophisticated radars for killing Nazi and Japanese air planes and submarines.
So I mean, without the Brits, the US might not have been able to make all those toys so fast, but without the US, the Brits would have fell. But in retrospect, I feel that the Allies would have won anyway...just that it would have ended with many more atomic bombs dropped all over the place by the US.Probably the most idiotic analysis of WW2 I have ever read. I await with interest to hear where and when the Germans invaded.
So I mean, without the Brits, the US might not have been able to make all those toys so fast, but without the US, the Brits would have fell. But in retrospect, I feel that the Allies would have won anyway...just that it would have ended with many more atomic bombs dropped all over the place by the US.Probably the most idiotic analysis of WW2 I have ever read. I await with interest to hear where and when the Germans invaded.
Spoony
Apr 26, 02:52 PM
Here is what makes me think it's not generic and apple would/should win.
There have been other online stores that sell computer programs/applications before apple created the "app store" None of them used the word App in their store name.
Examples:
GetJar
MobileRated
Cellmania
Apple launches a store just like these but better and called the store "App Store"
July 10, 2009 Apple's "App Store launches". Pre this no online stores used the term "app"
Post apples launch other phone makers/OS systems start to scramble.
App Catalog = Palm
App World = RIM
Amazon AppStore = Amazon
Stores that didn't ride apples coattails
Android Market = Android
Ovi Store = Nokia
Windows Phone Marketplace = Microsoft.
If "app store" was so obvioius and generic why did no one call their store "App store" until apple did? This is like everyone that argues that the iphone is so generic with it's icons and screen. I mean so obvious. No it's not obvioius.
If it was obvious Netjar, Mobilerated, Steam etc.. would just say "App Store" instead of some other random word.
Even the unauthorized iphone Store Cydia doesn't use the word app in their store name. "Unauthorized App Store" "Rogue App Store"
App Store is apple.
Even Wikipedia's serach term "app store" goes to the apple "app store" page. if want other onlilne phone stores you need to go to the disambiguation section.
There have been other online stores that sell computer programs/applications before apple created the "app store" None of them used the word App in their store name.
Examples:
GetJar
MobileRated
Cellmania
Apple launches a store just like these but better and called the store "App Store"
July 10, 2009 Apple's "App Store launches". Pre this no online stores used the term "app"
Post apples launch other phone makers/OS systems start to scramble.
App Catalog = Palm
App World = RIM
Amazon AppStore = Amazon
Stores that didn't ride apples coattails
Android Market = Android
Ovi Store = Nokia
Windows Phone Marketplace = Microsoft.
If "app store" was so obvioius and generic why did no one call their store "App store" until apple did? This is like everyone that argues that the iphone is so generic with it's icons and screen. I mean so obvious. No it's not obvioius.
If it was obvious Netjar, Mobilerated, Steam etc.. would just say "App Store" instead of some other random word.
Even the unauthorized iphone Store Cydia doesn't use the word app in their store name. "Unauthorized App Store" "Rogue App Store"
App Store is apple.
Even Wikipedia's serach term "app store" goes to the apple "app store" page. if want other onlilne phone stores you need to go to the disambiguation section.
rjohnstone
Apr 26, 02:15 PM
ding ding ding. I agree.
The store is called the App Store. You can't copy someones store name.
Yes you can... to a certain extent.
Two stores can be named the same if the name is generic in nature.
Apple didn't create the word "App Store". This has been proven in many threads about this very topic.
They popularized it and then went so far as to even give it generic meaning.
Steve did that himself. Now he's trying to lay claim to it after the fact.
Will he win... who knows.
But nothing is as black and white as many claim to believe it is.
Trademark law is complicated.
The store is called the App Store. You can't copy someones store name.
Yes you can... to a certain extent.
Two stores can be named the same if the name is generic in nature.
Apple didn't create the word "App Store". This has been proven in many threads about this very topic.
They popularized it and then went so far as to even give it generic meaning.
Steve did that himself. Now he's trying to lay claim to it after the fact.
Will he win... who knows.
But nothing is as black and white as many claim to believe it is.
Trademark law is complicated.
NATO
Aug 7, 06:17 AM
Not too brag or anything :D but it works out great for us in UK. Get in from work 5.30pm / open a beer / macrumors / keynote 6pm / tears of joy / rob bank 9pm / buy mac pro :D
^ sooo true :cool:
This is going to be one busy day.. I'm goin to get outta work at 4PM today, go home to find out if my MacBook Pro has arrived. If it hasn't, then it's off to the courier depot to collect it. Then it's back to the house, crack open a cold one and anxiously await news of the new Power Mac, credit card in hand.
At times it's very easy to curse Apple for its CIA Secrecy, but its days like this where the excitement builds hour after hour which really makes you glad that you're passionate about their products and the company as a whole.
And the best bit is that all my friends who haven't made the switch (yet) don't understand what all the fuss is about :P
^ sooo true :cool:
This is going to be one busy day.. I'm goin to get outta work at 4PM today, go home to find out if my MacBook Pro has arrived. If it hasn't, then it's off to the courier depot to collect it. Then it's back to the house, crack open a cold one and anxiously await news of the new Power Mac, credit card in hand.
At times it's very easy to curse Apple for its CIA Secrecy, but its days like this where the excitement builds hour after hour which really makes you glad that you're passionate about their products and the company as a whole.
And the best bit is that all my friends who haven't made the switch (yet) don't understand what all the fuss is about :P
t0mat0
Sep 6, 09:42 AM
Silent upgrades anyone? :)
Makes the MBP upgrades more likely. Can only say to nay sayers, that MBP will be C2D before (12th) or *just* after the student offer ends (US) - Sept 16th. I'd bet someone an icecream over it...
The important thing as someone said is that it "is one less thing for next thing". They'd only do a media event with something substantial, otherwise they'd be overwhelming us with lots of small presentations. Just see it as 2 things to tick off the wishlist for Sept 12th/16th!
Makes the MBP upgrades more likely. Can only say to nay sayers, that MBP will be C2D before (12th) or *just* after the student offer ends (US) - Sept 16th. I'd bet someone an icecream over it...
The important thing as someone said is that it "is one less thing for next thing". They'd only do a media event with something substantial, otherwise they'd be overwhelming us with lots of small presentations. Just see it as 2 things to tick off the wishlist for Sept 12th/16th!
Leesure
Sep 7, 08:26 AM
Only people who watch movies.
Combo drive still playes movies.
Combo drive still playes movies.
Carl Spackler
Nov 29, 03:46 PM
With HDMI, they'd have to be shooting higher than 480p. I'd say they'd go all out with 1080p, why not?
I was pleased and surprised to see no s-video out. They're clearly aiming for a product that's designed to stick around for a while. If we're going to see blu-ray Macs, and how can we not, iTV will have to be able to handle 1080p content.
I was pleased and surprised to see no s-video out. They're clearly aiming for a product that's designed to stick around for a while. If we're going to see blu-ray Macs, and how can we not, iTV will have to be able to handle 1080p content.
roland.g
Sep 1, 12:27 PM
Maybe this is Apple's answer to all the clamour for a miditower. a 23" iMac give you more screen real estate, still can do 2nd monitor, built in iSight which ACDs don't yet offer, if they up the RAM capacity to 4GB, give 3 GPU options and find a way to squeeze in a 2nd HDD, then you will never see a miditower. They won't need to offer it.
islanders
Dec 27, 11:35 PM
TiVo doesn't download your shows over the internet, it records them off the cable TV or satellite receiver. The only reason it requires an internet connection is to get programming schedules and verify you're paying your monthly fee.
Why not? They are all TV's. There is nothing about the term television that confines it to analog tube sets. If your Plasma/LCD has an over the air tuner or any sort, it is a TV. If it doesn't, it's a monitor.
Do you have a source for that statement?
Apple thinks you are.
Nobody is going to offer TV without commercials. People seriously underestimate the cost of production and distribution of content.
Remember that songs/movies you buy from Apple are supposed to be yours, if they go to a streaming media service they become like a rental service in effect, as you have to maintain your relationship with Apple to keep viewing the content.
Your the one who said a TV wouldn�t even work as a monitor.
You consistently rearrange some of my post where I�m just speculating. And at the same time you avoid my main points.
I also realize by streaming a movie we would just be renting it, but as a BluRay cost $1000, and if iTV is significantly less to watch the same movie in HD, this would be a reasonable solution. You also said you were waiting for the battle to be settled and that�s consistent to what I was pointing out that HD iTV would have a niche.
Thanks for responding to some of my points, but I�m really curious where this is going.
I think I'm just going to wait and see.
Why not? They are all TV's. There is nothing about the term television that confines it to analog tube sets. If your Plasma/LCD has an over the air tuner or any sort, it is a TV. If it doesn't, it's a monitor.
Do you have a source for that statement?
Apple thinks you are.
Nobody is going to offer TV without commercials. People seriously underestimate the cost of production and distribution of content.
Remember that songs/movies you buy from Apple are supposed to be yours, if they go to a streaming media service they become like a rental service in effect, as you have to maintain your relationship with Apple to keep viewing the content.
Your the one who said a TV wouldn�t even work as a monitor.
You consistently rearrange some of my post where I�m just speculating. And at the same time you avoid my main points.
I also realize by streaming a movie we would just be renting it, but as a BluRay cost $1000, and if iTV is significantly less to watch the same movie in HD, this would be a reasonable solution. You also said you were waiting for the battle to be settled and that�s consistent to what I was pointing out that HD iTV would have a niche.
Thanks for responding to some of my points, but I�m really curious where this is going.
I think I'm just going to wait and see.
Sailorloco
Nov 24, 08:48 AM
Crystal Head Vodka for turkey day.
Mando
Mando
PBF
Mar 30, 10:33 PM
Are you able to download System Voices in DP2?
obeygiant
Mar 22, 12:46 PM
Wasn't sure, so had to ask. :)
It's such a weird notion, that people can choose their sexual orientation. But then, I don't believe that's what many really believe when they say it... instead, I get the vibe that what they mean to say is 'why can't you just closet yourself and act straight?'.
Its also a weird notion that sexual orientation is a black and white issue. People gay or straight have sex with others contrary to their orientation all the time. Skin is skin, and the brain, the biggest sex organ in the human body, can be trained and retrained in a million different ways. Whatever turns you on is what turns you on.
It's such a weird notion, that people can choose their sexual orientation. But then, I don't believe that's what many really believe when they say it... instead, I get the vibe that what they mean to say is 'why can't you just closet yourself and act straight?'.
Its also a weird notion that sexual orientation is a black and white issue. People gay or straight have sex with others contrary to their orientation all the time. Skin is skin, and the brain, the biggest sex organ in the human body, can be trained and retrained in a million different ways. Whatever turns you on is what turns you on.
Ravich
May 4, 03:37 AM
This is going to seriously hinder my productivity with application deletion. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and change my productivity schedules for next year to include an hour of application deletion per day instead of 30 minutes.
Oh, wait a second, this only applies to mac app store applications? Thanks god! I'll just need to increase it to 45 minutes per day in that case. What a relief.
Oh, wait a second, this only applies to mac app store applications? Thanks god! I'll just need to increase it to 45 minutes per day in that case. What a relief.
tinman0
May 2, 05:56 PM
But my iPhone is far more limited than my first Windows PC in that regard. Even with Windows 95 I could go from one app to another while letting the other on load in the background. iOS freezes everything. If I want a video to upload on Facebook, I have no choice but to keep the app open until it's done. On my PC, I can start the upload and then move on to other things while the process is completing.
I find moving to non-true multitasking as a step backward, not a step forward. As you said, out systems capabilites are able to do so much more. I can be playing a computer game, hit the Windows key, and open a media player and never see a drop in performance. Why limit your computer to one task at a time? Kind of defeats the point of multi-core processors.
I doubt that the Mac is getting the type of multi tasking that you see with the iPhone, more likely it's getting the option to suspend something in the background, but for everything else, life goes on as normal (eg I can batch stuff in an application whilst I continue surfing, reading mail, watching porn etc).
As for the crippled multi tasking on an iPhone - it's a phone for heavens sake. The BIGGEST problem that all smartphones are suffering from is battery - batteries are not able to cope with the demands of the modern phone.
If you let people multi task properly, the phone would eat its battery alive. And we've all seen bad programming (cough...flash) which given half a chance will kill your battery in 15 seconds stone dead just to show you some crappy ad.
So a phone does need a sensible trade off when it comes to multi tasking, and both Apple and Google (with Android) made a very sensible choice to put battery before true background multitasking.
I find moving to non-true multitasking as a step backward, not a step forward. As you said, out systems capabilites are able to do so much more. I can be playing a computer game, hit the Windows key, and open a media player and never see a drop in performance. Why limit your computer to one task at a time? Kind of defeats the point of multi-core processors.
I doubt that the Mac is getting the type of multi tasking that you see with the iPhone, more likely it's getting the option to suspend something in the background, but for everything else, life goes on as normal (eg I can batch stuff in an application whilst I continue surfing, reading mail, watching porn etc).
As for the crippled multi tasking on an iPhone - it's a phone for heavens sake. The BIGGEST problem that all smartphones are suffering from is battery - batteries are not able to cope with the demands of the modern phone.
If you let people multi task properly, the phone would eat its battery alive. And we've all seen bad programming (cough...flash) which given half a chance will kill your battery in 15 seconds stone dead just to show you some crappy ad.
So a phone does need a sensible trade off when it comes to multi tasking, and both Apple and Google (with Android) made a very sensible choice to put battery before true background multitasking.
No comments:
Post a Comment